Beguine build/assembly

Steve W-O

Quite small at 41 3/4", but should be a quicker build than the Linnet, and will give me something to do between the Linnet stages.

Quicker because it comes in a box

I'm going to build it exactly as the kit dictates, use all the materials as supplied.

No doubt there will have to be adaptation to fit the motor.

It is surprising how many bits there are to make up such a small plane. You don't notice the number of pieces when you cut them out and put together as you go.

One thing I noticed from my plans is that the exit vent for air flow is behind one of the solid bulkheads, and so cut off from flow from the front of the plane.

What sort of power system are you planning to use - I have been wondering about using an outrunner, rather than the geared motor originally specified?

Posted by Antiquated on 05/01/2012 14:12:04:
One thing I noticed from my plans is that the exit vent for air flow is behind one of the solid bulkheads, and so cut off from flow from the front of the plane.

What sort of power system are you planning to use - I have been wondering about using an outrunner, rather than the geared motor originally specified?

Yes, quite amusing, they mention how important the airflow past the battery is, then make a useless hole!

Behind the ply floor, between the next two formers back, I intent to put some 1/16 balsa with 2 1" holes.

I am definitely using brushless, it will be a bell motor, haven't out the final arrangement yet, will depend on the weight.

Using a brushless motor will save at least 50g, changing the wheels will save 20g, but I will use ordinary covering film, which will cost me about 30g above the lightweight film.

It should have a duration of between 30 and 55 minutes at cruise throttle.

Posted by Antiquated on 05/01/2012 17:20:56:
Thanks - what sort of all-up weight are you aiming for?

I'm hoping to get it in less than the recommended weight with a 1500mAh or 2200mAh lipo.

That will give me the option of using a 900mAh lipo for quiet days and slow flight.

Haven't weighed it as it is, so no idea of where I am yet.

It looks like I will use a 2822-14 motor, and a 9X4.7 prop.
With a 2200mAh battery, that will be around the 560g max recommended, and give mixed flying of over 30min.

Could use a smaller motor, as that will give vertical performance, but they usually have a higher speed, and I want to keep the bigger prop.

I intend to keep the original motor mount rails and make up a ply adaptor for the motor

Finished the motor mount.

It will sit in the original mounting rails, held in with four 3mm bolts with nylock nuts.

Allows for any motor I chose, just by moving it back or forward.

It has a couple of degrees of right thrust built in, and the motor mounting holes are offset to the left so that the prop shaft comes out in the middle.

Edited By Steve W-O on 08/01/2012 09:49:46

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well the beguine and myself had our first ever flight together.The first hand launch went about 10 foot then hit the floor but no damage done so i gave it a firmer lob and away she went,after a few frantic oh my god i'm flying moments i settled down and flew all around the field behind my house.The landing was a bit heavy,bent a landing leg,snapped the prop and bent the motor shaft but the replacement parts will be here tomorrow ready for round 2.

Glad it wasn't too bad, and at least it flies

What was the cause of the heavy landing?

Looking at it, I get the feeling that it would be easy to lose to much speed, and end up coming down in a nose down attitude, and the elevator not having any effect in levelling it