Which covering on open structure

Rob Lewis

Getting ahead of myself as usual when building, but starting to think about how to cover my Spit when its ready (a fair few months yet). The more threads i read the more choice i have the harder it is to decide, lol.

The majority of the plane is sheeted so i'm going to glass and poly c it, before painting.

The bits i can't decide on are the rudder and elevators which are a ribbed open structure and will also be painted. Every way seems to have its advantages and disadvantages. Tissue with dope, nylon and dope, solartex etc. The tips have quite sharp curves which i think may be difficult to get the solartex to shrink around, but having never used nylon and a long time since i used tissue, i don't know if they will be any easier?

Any hints / tips/ suggestions?

Happy New Year to everyone as well.

Rob

Advert

You don't say how big the model is. If it is say 56" upwards go for Solartex. You can get that round really tight curves

Tissue is good but damages too easily. Nylon would be a real pain. I used to use nylon in the past, Recently used it to to cover a control line model, Forgot what an awkward, messy, smelly job it is, and very hard to get really neat round the edges.

I have found that SolarTex is one of the best covering films/material there is. I have used it on gliders, but mostly on WW1 warbirds. It does go around corners really well and I find it easier to pull around curves than other types of films (oracover, solarfilm, etc etc). It also goes tight really easily and any errors you make in those ohh darn it! moments can easily be pulled or ironed out easily.

It also takes paint really well, even without wirewooling thr surrface. IMHO, its the ideal covering to use on open structures of warbirds. Both below were covered in solartex.

Edited By Christian Ackroyd on 31/12/2011 20:19:23

Thanks for the quick responces guys.

Peter, have you been peeking in my building room (otherwise known as the 2nd bedroom), the Spit is 56". Its an old kit from Aerotech international, got it for free at a raffle years ago, and its living up to their usual standard with none of the foam bits fitting, but Barry at foamwings is on the case.

Its a Mk IX, which i believe had fabric covered rudder and elevators, so solartex sounds like the stuff to use.

Lovely looking planes Christian, I'll be pleased if i get anywhere near that standard

• 1 year later...

I like solartex too, but original manner is materials with dope!! japan tissue etc

Posted by Reno Racer on 31/12/2011 20:17:05:

I have found that SolarTex is one of the best covering films/material there is. I have used it on gliders, but mostly on WW1 warbirds. It does go around corners really well and I find it easier to pull around curves than other types of films (oracover, solarfilm, etc etc). It also goes tight really easily and any errors you make in those ohh darn it! moments can easily be pulled or ironed out easily.
It also takes paint really well, even without wirewooling thr surrface. IMHO, its the ideal covering to use on open structures of warbirds. Both below were covered in solartex.

Edited By Christian Ackroyd on 31/12/2011 20:19:23