Crane Fly Trainer Autogyro

Tom Wright  2

Hi all, not yet had a chance to try this at the field but with hindsight have made a few alterations to my version. Still going for the dual head but a lightened version with the 8mm bearings and this time using the glass covered blades which weigh 25g each. They were much more difficult to balance than the filmed ones but are very rigid.

The mast height has been increased by 25mm, the u/c lengthened and the tail servos and linkages rearranged to be out of the way of the boom. Pics to follow.

Advert

Hi Martin

I see you have been busy thumbs up and yes the forum tech people have insisted that IE users must clear the cache other wise the posting box will now be all wrong .

Look forward to hearing how your CF based own design performs smile. If you add the rotor fully back angle to the boom sit angle and this results in over 20 degrees ,then you may be able to spread the uc legs some more to improve ground stability , a track of 20" with the the bottom of the fire wall 7" from the ground works well . If you leave it as per the photo I guess the sit angle plus the hands off back trim will be around 15 - 18 degrees so application of just a little back rotor during the ground roll could result in a premature lift off and roll that may be hard to control. As the rotors come up to speed they should be lowered so the tail is off the ground and at the same time progressively increase the power . I suggest this as I guess you will not be hand launching wink 2.

Tom.

Tom.

Hi All

I see AJ blades have opened their Web shop and have good stocks to suit the CF MK2 , CF SFH ,CF Lite., and other lightweight designs .

The larger blades are aimed at the CF Major and other autogyros that have an AUW of between 3 and 5 lbs.

The availability of these blade sets in combination with the the parts now available from Coowind Models should be a great help to first time auto gyro pilots and hopefully encourage more to get started without the uncertainty and guess work that can stall builds and, complicate initial flight results. The length of the blades may need to be trimmed to suit a particular model and ensure clearance to the fin.

I have used several sets of the pre production examples on my models and have been impressed by the results and the time saving so I hope you Crane Fly builders find them as useful as I have.

Tom

Hi everyone. I got my blades for the SFH/CFL today from AJ Blades. They are superb and well worth the money spent. The packing of them is also brilliant. Mine came in a sturdy tube with lots of bubble wrap around the blades and at the ends, plus the tubes are sealed with custom end caps. No chance of damage there.

It also turns out that I was their first customer. Looks as though I have done something right for a change. It beats last Sundays flying session that put me in hospital having the third finger of my right hand stitched up. What idiot put a spinning propeller in the way of my hand,( I have to confess that it was me Sir).

Ahh well!, it got me off washing up duties until next Monday when the stitches come out. All together now.....Ahhhhhhhh!!

Hi Deyrick. Mine was an i/c incident. Happened because I changed my starting routine. I had to have a check on whether I had a damaged tendon before they would sew me up. Feeling fine now, but stitches in finger keep pulling and I tend to forget and try and use the hand as I normally would. I still love the hobby though, and the crack from the others in the club.

Had a few thwacks my self from props on engines, luckily they tend to stop unlike a bigish motor.

Never had stitches, had it taped and wrapped once at Med Center (Ex RAF) as it had cut through the tip of finger and nail bed.

The nail still grows split to this day 12 years later, luckily its only 3mm from side not the middle.

Not had any hits since i went to electric, no need to fiddle with a carb near spinning prop.

Deyrick

Yup been there , deep lacerations one down to the bone ,and that was a slow fly prop on a 200 W motor. Hope you are getting plenty of tea and sympathy Tony.

I am expecting delivery of a set of AJ Blades for my Panther that I have now passed on to Pete to build . Having flown the pre production blades on my CF Major , I recon they should do the job without any problem .

More flying today with the G1 now fitted AJ Blades and a Coolwind models CFL plate . It would be fair to say the performance is impeccable and, I even managed a nill wind ROG . These blades work well at low shim thickness so more lift is obtained which improves the low speed performance, and makes turns nice and easy. Must get back to more flying with the CF SFH as I am in danger of getting off thread.

Tom.

12 to 15 fifteen flights now with out any incidents so i must be getting better. Got a couple of flights in this afternoon before the rain came and with 8 to 9 mph breeze i even did a allmost vertical landing. Think i need a liitle more grunt up front to penetrate better into wind but this Cranefly has been designed to learn to fly a Autogyro and that is what it is doing with good effect so will leave the need for speed further down the line.Anybody seen the part built Panther with motor and esc included with the first bid at £45 on Ebay, Seems to good to be true though. Glen

Hi,Tom ,haven't been in touch lately due to health and bereavement in the family .So i have decided to redo my CF trainer and have a fixed rotor head ,and install rudder and elevator. what i need to know tom is the angle of the rotor post as it will be permanent .I can see by all the posts and pics you haven't been hanging about .like all pilots who know what they are doing .you make it all look so easy.. cheers tom regards Berniethumbs up.

Hi Bernie

Great to hear from you again ,and sorry to hear about the heath and family bereavement , many of us are getting to the age were these things happen ,but that's life and we have to do the best we can .

Don't see any problem at all converting your model could you just confirm it is a MK 2 , and I will get back this evening with some data.

Regards

Tom.

I have continued to develop the Crane Fly Major thought this season and have found it to be a very practical introduction to the larger heavier machines that are a popular progression once the light weights have been mastered . All the recent flying has been done on the AJ 550 mm Blades and Coolwind plate which has ensured that no further changes are necessary to these vital components . This machine loves a little head wind for a short ROG which should suit pilots who have to fly from smaller fields . The boom is a carbon tube clad with balsa ,so after the successful flights with the CF Giant I might build another Major over the winter period but with a similar wooden boom as this will be less expensive and will simplify the build.

The photo shows current set up .

crane fly major exteded nose 002.jpg

Hi tom, Tony Bamford here again. Stitches are out now but finger is still mighty sore. Not done any work in the shed since my accident. Gonna have to get my finger out,( pardon the pun).

Have you considered the aluminium square section tube that they use for TV aerials, or woulld that be too heavy. Just a thought. I was mighty chuffed with the blades from AJ Blades. They were super.

Hi All

Managed to get a break from work in the garden to commission the AJ 550 production blades and get them fitted to my Crane Fly Major .

I have a plan in that the weight of the model is the same as the predicted weight for my Panther build which is progressing slowly. Having flown the CFM very successfully on the AJ pre production blades ,I set out this morning to fly the stock blades and was very pleased with the results smile.

crane fly major.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Getting more confident with the CF and the CFL is slowly coming along but iam allready looking further down the line with regards to the Burky 11 if i can obtain the plan but my long term project would be the Dag 60 but i would like to ask if you can still obtain the plans as i once read that the guy who designed it had packed in. Glen