A newbie to RC

ricky

hiya all..my names ricky and im very new to the rc world..i bought an art-tech diamond 2500 ep glider/soarer about 4 months ago..ive had few issues but can fly her with no issues (except the last issue that broke a wing but ssshhhhhh)..i stumbled on a youtube clip of the radian and that got me hooked..after few months of homework,i decided on the d2500..so happy with the choice i made,and met a few club flyers who helped me alot..how many ppl on here fly a d2500,would be nice to see other owner issues/comments ect

well i think ive just about covered the basics
i have videos of my plane on youtube under "rickydmax

Advert

Hi and welcome to the forum Ricky! You sound like you are doing the right things by getting some help from club flyers... I'm not to familiar with the d2500 but i'm sure someone is on the forum. I will check out you channel and will subscribe.

Hi ricky and welcome to the forum!

There is a video review of the ArtTech Diamond 1800 on here you might be interested in having a look at if you haven't so far. Just select "TV" from the tabs at the top and scroll down.

Have you joined a club yet? If not you should give it some serious thought - as you've already found out very helpful places clubs!

All the best I hope you enjoy your time on here and any questions don't hesitate to ask - loads of very knowledgable folks on here - including a number of dedicated "glider guiders"!

BEB

TOM T---big thanks,that would be brilliant

BEB---thanks..i havnt joined a club but did go to a clubs field with them few times when they was helping me at the begining..i would/will join a club but plan on doing the majority of flying solo..as i got the plane to help relax when i get the odd few hrs away from work..i plan to just travel places with good landmarks on do aerial footage..

im going to stay with gliders as they are good fun with excellent aerobatics and are quite relaxed and sedate compared to other planes..my skill level mite make me change my mind in time but for now,gliding/soaring and thernoling are my main aims

thanks for the welcome

If you're not planning on joining a club you should at least join the BMFA for the insurance cover - or get alternative insurance. It really is essentail, the cost of a accident - even with a small light model - could be astronomical! In my view flying without insurance simply isn't worth the risk. You get cover automatically when signing up with the BMFA - check out their website here if you haven't do so yet.

BEB

the guys at a local flying club did mention about insurance..something i will do for sure but for now im just flying over my own land and my neighbours are family..i can totaly see why i need insurance as things can go wrong for any plane and anyone as things go wrong,even for the professionals..when i know il be venturing away from home and have the skill set to do so,il make sure im well insured

thanks for the advice

ricky76
The Artech Diamond 2500 is a super plane. Do you have the simple version or the one with flaps?
Nice videos as well but as far as I can tell the prop never folded!
If the power was off and the prop continues to turn you need to programme the ESC to put the brake 'on' which will stop the prop so it can fold. The glide performance will be significantly improved.
If the prop did not stop because you had not shut down the motor then you are flying it as a power plane and it will have limitations, not least of which will be how easily you can exceed its safe maximum 80 kph flying speed!

You certainly seem to have mastered the basics (just how did you break the wing?) and (did you actually clip that tree?) so keep at it.
If you like this type of flying it might be worth finding a club that has a gliding section.
There is a lot to learn and the day you actually get your glider to gain altitude without the motor running you will find out how exhilarating (and difficult) it can be!

mine is the flapped version..i broke the wing by not being patient,brought her in too quick and at same time i was turning into wind at low alt..i think the whole "esc" thing mite be that the new props need a gentle file on the side so they move freely easy..il sort the props,take her out and see what happens..i did catch a thermol by sheer luck briefly,a while back.one of the days i went to a club field.i had just powered off going into the wind to glide when the plane noticeably shifted upwards on her own.i knew the score from using thermols on simulator.i stayed in the lift a short while then lost it.i turned round to find it but couldnt..the guys at the club said i had done extremely well for a newbie to rc..all the hrs spent on the simulator paid off i guess..i can easily do aerobatics wich helps me learn quick reflex's for if something went wrong..il get more into gliding and less into motor use as i go