Emax motor shaft extension

Andrew Lawrence

Afternoon all,

Having my first go at an electric model set up.

Have an emax 2215/20 motor which, to mount in my hyperion yak 55ep needed the motor shaft reversing which i have done no problem,however,

The shaft does not protrude far enough from the cowl to allow clearance for the prop once the prop adapter is on ie the prop hits the cowl.

I cannot move the cowl in any further as its underside is hitting the u/c although i could notch it i am not keen as i think the plastic cowl will split quickly.

Can i get a motor shaft extension? shaft is 3mm by the way.

Andy L

Advert

hello andrew-you'd be better off extending the motor mount......various ways of doing it-either with wood or metal threaded bar and some nut's.....the shaft method will be a bit precarious....one nose over and it'll break or bend!....not been familiar with the model..if it's foam..wood will be the way to go

ken anderson ne..1... shaft dept....

Ken,

Problem I have is the Motor is currently mounted inthe fuselage with the shaft protruding through the firewall and opted through from the front of the firewall.

This arrangement leaves the shaft shy of clearing the cowl by around 10mm.

If I mount the motor to the front ofthe firewall almost all of the motor would be visible in front of the cowl.

Ideas?

Andy l

I see from the motor spec that the shaft length is 41mm. It may be that you might find a generic 3mm shaft longer than that, but at 3mm, it is rather thin and would be vulnerable to bending, which in inconvenient at best and potentially dangerous at worst.

I don't know of any extra-length prop spinners on the market and I think your best bet would be to ease the cowl around the u/c.

If you use a Dremel-type tool to get a nice radius on the notching, it shouldn't increase the risk of splitting. You could also put a layer of Duck Tape or similar inside the cowl to give it a bit of additional support.

Pete

Photos would be useful, I don't think you have commented on the construction.
If the firewall is wood, cut it out and make another firewall in the form of an open box, mount the open end on the old firewall, and the motor on the "new" firewall.

I would agree, extending a 3mm shaft is inviting a problem