Ideas for a Slope Glider

Hi folks,

Any suggestions for a slope soarer around 60ins to 2M that will cope with a wide range of winds unballasted and is quite aerobatic?

I have not won the lottery so I'm not looking at a moulded thing. Do people still manufacture veneered wings / fibreglass gliders?

All help appreciated!

Advert

Hi there,

After reading your post, and if you don't mind a bit of building, my Quark might fit your bill

You can find the plans etc to build it, and you will find the original thread about this glider here : http://www.gliderireland.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1070

Hope this helps,

Fred

Edited By Fred Marie on 09/01/2012 14:46:59

Plus one for the Phase 6 - I built one last year.

Chris Foss does two wing types - professional which is fully symetrical and sport which is semi symetrical.

The sport semi symetrical version is the better of the two as it has better light wind performance.

Mine is fully glassed and therefore "heavy" yet it will fly happily in anything from 10mph to 40mph unballasted.

And as for aerobatics - it's a Chris Foss designed fully aerobatic slope soarer.

It will set you back about £80 plus gear and covering materials.

Posted by Andy Green on 09/01/2012 16:08:39:
What exactly are you after, and how much building do you want to do?

Andy

Well...

Happy to assemble rather than build.

My local slope is quite gentle - so looking for good soaring performance rather than relying on very strong lift.

But also looking for something a bit more dynamic than an Easy Glider type performance.

Cheers

the ace was a decent model. Bit more akin to the middle phase than the phase 6 I guess.

I've been told these are decent, especially for the price:
http://www.sloughrc.com/default.asp?itemid=A-FFB007
 No direct experience though.

What's wrong with using ballast btw?
Doesn't have to be complicated, especially with a models like the phase 6, where you can just mount a few metal plates on a bolt, or something, inside the fuselage.

Edited By Tom Satinet on 10/01/2012 10:27:25