Flair Kite MK4

ColdTurkeY_UK

Hi all,

I recently purchased the kit form of the Flair Kite Mk4, whereby I was informed by the model shop owner that this was the best kit to buy (that he had available) to learn to build and fly an aircraft.

I would appreciate any tips, tricks, build guidance, advice in a general form or from someone who has built this specific model. I am totally new to balsa wood assembly, so ANY help would be gratefully received.

Dan.

I am part of the local flying club who I will ask advice for also, but there maybe things that they haven't tried or something they can't help me with, hence why I thought I would ask the wider community for general tips using balsa wood material, and maybe some handy hints that others find useful and are willing to share their information.

Posted by ColdTurkeY_UK on 09/01/2012 20:23:14:
Hi all,

I recently purchased the kit form of the Flair Kite Mk4, whereby I was informed by the model shop owner that this was the best kit to buy (that he had available) to learn to build and fly an aircraft.

I would appreciate any tips, tricks, build guidance, advice in a general form or from someone who has built this specific model. I am totally new to balsa wood assembly, so ANY help would be gratefully received.

Dan.

I have built two, they are everything your model shop claims. Used by the Paul Heckles school and powered by Magnum 51 fourstrokes which suit them to the ground.

The Kite is solid, predictable and tough. They will take a lot of punishemt and I have found them easy to repair, the last repair was a 2 inch wide 3.5 inch deep, gash in a wing leading edge. Engines used, OS40LA when it got tired out I fitted an OS46LA, both engines adequate however if like me you are not a skilled pilot I would suggest that a size 46 cooking engine is the minimum.  My Kites are tail draggers, you will need a big lump of lead up front, best screwed to the beams of the engine bearer.  Built as per the instructions plus a battery compartment for a nicad flat battery in the  servo bay against bulkhead to fuel bay.  Cable run from throttle servo is a bit tight and you need to give it a bit of thought and offer it up before fixing in place.  Covered my Kites in Glosstex. I will post more info when I have given it some thought. 

Edited By J.N. on 10/01/2012 21:45:56

Posted by ColdTurkeY_UK on 11/01/2012 22:38:28:
That's just the sort of post i was hoping for J.N., thank you very much for your advice and I will certainly be using that information in my build,

I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, no matter here is the follow up.

I have only one build item to add. Otherwise follow the instructions in the manual and it will be difficult to go wrong. The following are points that may/may not be of interest.

1. Page 12 Hatch para 15). Use epoxy to secure rubber band anchors to sides of tank bay. The Anchor is for an elastic band that holds the Hatch down in place and a significant force is needed to pull the hatch up. This strain is taken by the Anchors and they will be pulled off the side walls sooner or later unless securely epoxied in place.

A. In my first build I overlooked the note on Page 6, para 9) first paragraph. I built 2 identical fuselage sides and not a mirror image.
B.The elevator push rod connection to horn leaves little room for adjusting the elevator end clevis so do not put a locking nut against the clevis.
C. I removed the minimum of material from the cowl to make it fit this meant that I had to remove/ refit the OS LA silencer for the cowl to clear the engine. I drilled holes in the cowl to match up with the silencer allen key headed bolts and used a long allen key to un-screw them. Otherwise chop the cowl as you think fit.
D. Fitting Du Bro 3.50 T (3 1/2 inch) undercarriage wheels makes for easier rolling when flying from wet grass.
E. I found a GS 2.5 inch aluminium prop spinner to be ideal.
F. I found that with the LA engines my Kites were happy to leave the ground once speed had built up. Whenever I tried to haul one off the ground in light winds I have been on the edge of a stall.

Photo 1
Is the steerable tail wheel, I have included it because it took quite a bit of wire bending. The long horozontal arm was cut in half then after forming and shaping joined up with a brass tube sleeve and soldered in place. The nylon tail wheel pivot housing was secured to a ply base which in turn was bolted to the fuselage.

Photo 2
Is the fuel tank bay and you can see one of the hatch rubber band anchors. The grey item you can see behind the engine fire wall is a square piece of lead secured with through bolts. This Kite needed a lot of nose weight and rather then have it all attached to the engine mounting I had most of the weight as above leaving a smaller amount for final adjustments which is secured to the rear of the engine mounting. The cowl accounts for a surprising amount of weight adjustment.

Photo 3
Is the battery box for a flat nicad. The battery lies flat and is a snug fit when packed out with rubber insulating material. Simple rails glued to the sides with a sliding cover between rails and battery held in place by a through long bolt into a captive nut. The red snake is servo to throttle secured in place through a balsa block. I found that without the snake mounting to hold everything in place, the throttle travel could not be held to its set limits.

Photo 1

Well J.N. You have been of great help to me and I thank you kindly for the help, guidance and particularly the photos of your aircraft. I only hope my build goes smoothly and I hope should I need some guidance you wouldn't mind answering questions for me.

Posted by ColdTurkeY_UK on 13/01/2012 21:44:42:
Well J.N. You have been of great help to me and I thank you kindly for the help, guidance and particularly the photos of your aircraft. I only hope my build goes smoothly and I hope should I need some guidance you wouldn't mind answering questions for me.

Glad to be of help, what goes around comes around.
If you think I can be of anymore assistance, just ask.
Regards.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I agree the Kite is a great kit. My neighbour and I both bought one and built them some years ago. Mine is still going strong. I did the tricycle undercarriage version with a carbon fibre undercarriage and larger wheels as suggested above. I also made the noseleg fixed and re enforced the firewall at the base to take the strain of heavy initial landings as without this the noseleg could crush a groove into the firewall.

I modified the undercart fastening as I didn't like the screwed on undercart and put two dowels through the fuselage so that I could rubber band the undercart. This works brilliantly and saves screws being pulled out of the fuse on a heavy landing because the undercart just flips over. For these I use 5" rubber bands. I also put a couple of locating bars on the under fuselage to make re location easy. It is worth checking the fuel bay every year as part of your end of season check as my fuel lines perished. I had proofed the fuel bay with epoxy which I peeled off and replaced after the leak.

Finally I upgraded my engine to a JEn 57 with a Genesis pipe ( from Weston) which makes it very nippy and the quietest 2 stroke in the club and fits into the 46 size engine mount.

After I got used to the plane I increased the control surface throws on the control horns (by moving the clevis inwards) and find this helps the rudder for ground handling and makes the plane very manoeuvrable in the air.

I too wish someone would pick up making this model as it is great. I'm looking for another one to electrify.

Happy Flying

Peter

I'd just like to say that the KIte is an excellent choice of trainer. I passed my "A" cert with my MK1 Kite then made by ATS. Before buying the kite I had gone through several trainers, none gave me more confidence than the Kite, it goes where you put it and it can take a knock or two and is easly repairable. I put 4" wheels on mine due to the ground conditions at my patch.

I hope you enjoy building and flying yours as much as I did. I would'nt mind getting another one.

Regards

Robert