Over-engineering and excessive technology

Elliot

Advert

I only saw something about these goggles and the camera set up last week for the first time, I was fasinated and decided that I would also like to buy and try this new pilots view to our hobby. However although I am able to build aircraft from a structural point of view, my skill level with electrics finishes at putting a plug on.

I also decided to wait and see how good the image relayed to the goggles was before forking out sackfulls of cash. So I am watching this thread with great intrest and hopefully after your exiting test flight you will be able to put me on your list of 5 provided the parts come with a tutorial.

Good luck with the test.    Al

Is there not a legal DO NOT about piloting models using this type of thing? Classed as guided missiles or something. In another discussion as long as twas on a buddy lead seems ok.

Some guys I know tried it, comments were "hillarious" guys just about falling over as the horizon on screen changed angle.

• 8 months later...

Elliot have read most of the RCGroups thread and to me it seems that it changes very quickly I am sure it will take off here in a big way.
ref the spitfire flaps I have a H9 Spitfire that I had some problems with the engine then I brought a saito 100 and it has a lot more power so the take off and landings are much better. If you try to take off at low speed it is a real handful until the airspeed picks up it drops wing tips and all sorts of wierd going ons. The flaps are not needed but the landing approach is fairly quick with out them.

Interested in the FPV stuff you are doing I have a 2.4 Mz set up from China just as a test with out breaking the bank got the camera and the transmitting stuff for £25.00 the goggles seem to be the vital bit, I tried with a small TV but it was not very good in the daylight. Think I might go for the full kit from some one as a complete kit goggles head tracking unit and camera.

Eric Bray wrote (see)
If I recall correctly, the full-size spit only used flap for landing, as they were not flaps at all, but speed brakes. They only had two positions, up or down.

Eric, bit late now I know, you are correct but I've just finished reading First Light (Geoffrey Wellum) an autobiography of a WW2 spitfire pilot.

He flew Spitfires off a carrier into Malta, to get them off the deck they used 25 degrees of flap, they did this by putting a wooden wedge in to stop the flap from fully closing, once they were up in the air they opened and closed the flap to jetison the wedge. So at least once they were used to assist takeoff

Great book by the way. 

• 3 months later...