looking for someone to fly with in croydon, beginner

Alef Veld

Hi guys,
I am completely new to flying and it's all a bit daunting!
i got a park flyer radian for my birthday and almost am thinking to return it heh, especially after all the horror stories i read about lipo batteries.

Also, it comes with a cigarette charger. I don't have a car, what could i use as a wall charger instead? Would be great if someone would live nearby.

Advert

Hi Alef

Welcome to the greatest hobby in the world! There is a flying club in Croydon, who fly from a site on the old Croydon Airport site off the Purley Way. Someone there will pleased to help you I am sure.

The club also flies from a site at Sparrows Den near New Addington, if that is closer to you. For contact details, go to the BMFA website and look for 'Croydon MFC' in the list of clubs. My advice would be to join a club as you will get lots of help and instructors are normally available to teach you how to fly. You will also obtain insurance as part of the club fees.

As to charging the battery in your plane, I am not sure what type it is in the Radian, (but it is probably a LiPo). You need a dedicated charger for that type of battery and there are plenty for sale on the internet. See some of the advertisers on this web page.

Alternatively go to a model shop. I think your nearest one is Avicraft in Chatterton Road, Bromley, or if Ewell is anywhere near you, Mick Charles Models. I don't think there is one in Croydon any more.

Good luck with the flying!

Pete

Hi Alef,

welcome to the hobby - and to the forum!

You'll really enjoy flying models so don't send that Radian back yet! Yes there are lots of scary stories about LiPo baterries - but the truth is lots of things are dangerous, if you abuse them! Treated and handled properly LiPo's are perfectly safe in my opnion.

Ah, but there is the problem eh? How do you learn how to treat them properly? Well four things:

1. Do a search on here on "Lipo" and you will find loads of threads - have atrawl through and you'll learn absolutely tons of stuff.

2. Check out the electric power beginners section on here - again lots of good advice.

3. Get yourself down that club - they well be happy to help you.

4. If all else fails - ask on this forum! Its a big part of the reason we are here!

All the best wishes with the flying.

BEB

Alef

I know the charger that came with the Radian it's parkzones variable current 2 or 3s lipo charger, if you didn't want to splash out on a mains lipo charger just yet you could get one of these from Maplins, and I'm sure other motor spares outlet (i.e. Halfords) offer something similar. If you did get one of these don't charge your Lipo at more than 1amp or you'll overload this power supply.

hi guys or girls,
Thank you for the warm welcome and the information. So if i go to halfords or some similar hardware store and bring the lipo charger they would know what wall charger i need?

I'm a bit swamped in work right now but there's no use for this 2meter wingspan thing to sit around and crowd my house without it ever getting in the air
At least i didn't get a 3d chopper heh, i think those are even more difficult and more dangerous to fly. I've seen the power of these things on some video's.

Yeah it seems like a cool hobby, i haven't had a really good hobby in a longtime. This might be it. I know nothing about electronics though, i've got a lot to learn first.

I think i will do that, go the the croydon airport site some weekend and pick someone's brain

Is it difficult to fly these things though? It seems easy enough when they hand launch it on youtube, but i'm sure there's a lot more to it. I don't think there's any flying instructions with the park flyer radian, i mean could i ever figure out how to fly it by putting it on the ground and messing with the throttles (oh wait i think this one doesn't have a landing gear ). But it's to expensive to crash as well. I.e. how difficult is it to get it in the air on your own without previous experience and then fiddle with the throttles to learn how to fly it? Is that a gross over simplification?

Anyway, i'll see if i can get a charger somewhere, if someone could tell me or give me a link on the model of wall charger that would work i'd appreciate it as well.

one thing though, aren't you guys ever scared you loose signal and the plane flies away? then what? i've read some articles on diydrones that sell autopilots that return home, that seems like a good investment.

One more thing, can i leave the plane with lipo in the box for a month in the living room or so or do i need to store the lipo somewhere securely in a sealed security bag?

Thanks all, much appreciated!

@Frank how long would the lipo take to charge with 1amp compared to normally plugging it in in a car cigarette lighter? what does a mains charger cost? Any links for that to? Which is better, that link with the 12volt or a mains charger (sorry i'm a noob, i don't know anything about current or electronics) 

Edited By Alef Veld on 27/01/2012 00:08:53

Edited By Alef Veld on 27/01/2012 00:11:48

• 3 years later...
Posted by Tim Wood 1 on 13/06/2015 09:38:15:
I'm new to flying in LOndon having moved up from Bristol. Where is the best place to park for the croydon public site? Any help much appreciated. Also is BMFA insurance required as mine has expired.

If you plan on flying in a public place, ie where members of the public, their, cars, dogs, whinging offspring etc are wandering around like headless chickens with no conception of what a prop doing 12,000 rpm can do.. do you think its a sensible policy not to have insurance?

Hi.Welcome to RC flying. Whatever you do don't go to halfords , they only sell car chargers and they are totally unsuitable. Find your local model shop or better still visit your nearest club for a chat before you go any further.Its the best way to avoid disappointment and get flying quickly , safely and without breaking too many models.

Hi Alef, Tim,

I'm a long term member of Croydon Airport Model Flying Club. Flown RC since 1972. Very few if any CAMFC members still fly AT the airport site, I don't, and won't.

IMO people densities around London are far too high for safe public site flying these days and the relatively low cost of joining a club like CAMFC is inconsequential compared to the high cost when something goes wrong at a public site. And it IS a when, not an if, particularly but not exclusively on inexperience.

I'm based ten mins from the CAMFC private field at Fickleshole, Featherbed Lane.

Happy to assist, PM me as required.

Dave

Edited By Dave Bran on 13/06/2015 11:42:03

Hi Tim, most people park at the end of Imperial Way. Turn off Purley way by the Ford dealer, the road comes to a tee with the markings going right, turn left and go past Costco right to the end where you will see the field. There is a church in a commercial building on the left. Either park just before this or follow the round left and park round the side. If you look on Google maps, park near where it shows bedouins hideaway, although I have never seen that place

Alef,

Try a Parkzone Li-po charger. It is very cheap but includes the necessary balancing operation for each of the cells plus indicator lights and alarms to show state of battery charge etc. I use a 12 volt DC output from a Maplins car starter / compressor which they have sold quite cheaply at times.

I am a member of the Croydon Airport Society and in the past used to watch full size planes operate from the aerodrome. I have flown model planes there but not very often despite the fact I live only a few miles away from the place. Also in the past I used to fly free flight planes at Epsom Downs where you are now required to belong to the EDMAC flying club (see web-site)to fly anything. At your age I think there is no joining fee but be aware that flying can only be done after 12.00 PM and there must be at least two flyers and until you pass an A-test you must be accompanied on the flight line by a qualified flyer. However it's a simple trip by train from Croydon to Tattenham Corner station adjacent to Epsom Downs.

I must also be a short distance from the CAMFC club field a place I have never visited.

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 13/06/2015 22:14:02