full size avro arrow mystery

Alan Cantwell

i put this here, instead of the ebay section, because it has, if you know of the canadien avro arrow project, cancceld by an over zelaous canadien goverment, an immense historical value, the missing avro arrow is the subject of some wonderment in full size circles, did it end up here, sadly burned and bulldozed? the canadien warbird museum is after funds to buy back this piece of canadien history, i think its fascinating, i hope you do

Advert

Interesting story and perhaps a great way to talk up the value of an old ejector seat?

Quite what its value as a "unique piece of Canadian history" is I don't really understand - did MB have a plant in Canada at that time or did it originate over here as a unique design for the project or was it a production seat modified to their requirements?

I can find no reference to a Martin Baker plant in Canada so presumably the seats would have been made in the UK so perhaps it is not quite so surprising that a couple remained this side of the pond.

The Arrow was a high altitude interceptor with a limited range and with no provision for under wing stores or drop tanks.

I do note that just before the cancellation a proposal was made by Avro to "ferry" an Arrow to the RAE at Boscome Down.............

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 28/01/2012 01:24:32:
I can find no reference to a Martin Baker plant in Canada so presumably the seats would have been made in the UK so perhaps it is not quite so surprising that a couple remained this side of the pond.

Just found this snippet Simon - looks like they may not have originated in Canada:

Martin-Baker had a licensed facility in Collingwood, Ont. during the 1950s and was building the seats for the program.

There does seem quite a plausible case being made for a clandestine liberation - shame it didn't get preserved if that was the case.

Visually, I think it seems to have more resemblance to the Vulcan than the TSR2 - but that might not be too surprising given the parent company!

Edited By Martin Harris on 28/01/2012 02:14:42

The story of the nose section that is in existence is almost as remarkable.
You can see the gas cutter scorch marks!
It was smuggled out of Avro plant by Air Marshall Curtis and stored at the RCAF Flying Personnel Medical Establishment.
When the Wing Commander in charge of the establishment was showing a new Chief of Air Staff around the establishment asked "what should do with this?" was told "keep it secret until the time was right"!
It now resides at the Canada Aircraft and Space museum.

It appears there was a Collingwood Martin Baker plant that was involved with the Arrow. Opened in 1957 and but  closed mid 60s.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 28/01/2012 18:30:38