Futaba Buddy combination that works ?

Chris Procter

Hi all,

Firstly I've used the search function which asks similar questions to mine but doesn't provide a definite "yes"

So, my instructor is using a spektrum transmitter which won't buddy with my Futaba T7C 2.4g, so before I go ahead and buy a used box to use as a buddy, which ones will actually work?

Which setup has worked for you? I'm hoping not to have to shell out on another T7C but maybe a used 6ex ?

Many thanks
Chris

Advert

Chris....Yes a 35mhz 6ex will buddy with a 2.4ghz 7cap...i had the same situation,checked with Ripmax who said yes...Tried it and of course it worked.

Andrew

This is what the manual says on p37:
"Compatibility: The 7C may be master or student with any Futaba FM transmitter compatible with the cord. Simply plug the optional trainer cord (For 7C series, sold separately) into the trainer connection on each transmitter, and follow the guidelines below."

Note, I have a 6EX 2.4 that I buddy with a 6EXA, using a square to square lead. Futaba say you must NOT use a square to round lead with a 6EX 2.4 to buddy it to a round-lead Tx or you will damage the 2.4 Tx. I don't know if the same applies to a T7C, as the lead they refer to may only be available square to square.

There is another way. No leads used and a bit more high tech. Use THIS RX (FrSky FASST compatible Rx) temporarily attached to the Spectrum Tx (could be any Tx with a buddy port) and take the PPM stream out of the Rx and feed it into the Spectrum Tx. Both Tx switched on normally. You effectively have a 2.4 radio link buddy connection similar to the Futaba radio trainer link.
In the reviews there is one by Christian giving a YouTube link to a demo. More info on the 'tinternet - do a search.
Not done it myself with this combo but have rigged it up on the bench with other Rx and Tx combinations.
HTH

Thanks Gonzo, interesting set-up. Don't know how my instructor would take to that but it's certainly an option,

John, thank you, as you pointed out the T7C manual does have a reference to using a buddy box but makes no mention of compatibility between various Futaba boxes and as the T7C doesn't have PPM in it's menu just instructor on/off it's caused me a bit of confusion especially when you read on various forums of the big "No round to square" etc.

kc and Lee, thanks for the advice/info, my cheapest solution for now is to get a couple of cables (round to square and sq to sq ) and next time i'm at the field ask if someone would mind if I checked with one of their boxes?

If all else fails we could always go back to box passing

Thanks all

Chris

Chris: this link shows you the compatibility table:

The leads available are shown here:

Click on the part-number for more details on restrictions. Note the square - square one is referred to as the 9C to 9C lead, for reasons that escape me. It doesn't list modern Txs on that page but they are listed on the Compatibility page.

Edited By John Cole on 31/01/2012 11:06:32

Maybe that Futaba data is pre 2.4Ghz, anyway the Futaba 6EX 2.4 manual clearly says to connect only to square micro type plugs and never to older round Din type. With so many good 35 mhz 6EX lying around unused it seems crazy to disregard this ( and mabe void the warranty? )

Lee seems to be correct when I study the online 7C 2.4 manual. But Olly's club might be in trouble if they assume the round to square will also work with the 6EX 2.4m because Futaba say this will damage the 6EX 2.4.
There does not seem to be any known explanation for this difference i.e. round to square damages some 2.4 but not other 2.4. So presumably clubs must be wary of this ( who is responsible for any damage if the club instructor plugs in a round to square into a novices brand new 6EX 2.4 and wrecks the electronics? Does it really damage them? )

This topic has been very informative, and seems to have plenty of answers, looks like my best option will be a good used 35mhz 6ex with square trainer plug and suitable lead to connect to my T7C.
There's some really nice ones on the bay at the moment and are much better price wise than a more up-to date box, it is after all only for use as a buddy box so needs to be cheap as poss'

Many thanks all

Chris

Posted by GONZO on 30/01/2012 17:12:23:
There is another way. No leads used and a bit more high tech. Use THIS RX (FrSky FASST compatible Rx) temporarily attached to the Spectrum Tx (could be any Tx with a buddy port) and take the PPM stream out of the Rx and feed it into the Spectrum Tx. Both Tx switched on normally. You effectively have a 2.4 radio link buddy connection similar to the Futaba radio trainer link.
In the reviews there is one by Christian giving a YouTube link to a demo. More info on the 'tinternet - do a search.
Not done it myself with this combo but have rigged it up on the bench with other Rx and Tx combinations.
HTH

Gonzo I believe there would be an issue with this approach.
Even if the pulse voltages and polarities were correct for the spectrum Tx, the pulse (channel) sequencing would be different. So for example the aileron channel of the Futaba would be controlling the throttle channel of the Spektrum.

ON checking I think you are right about the different channel assignment sequence between Futaba and Spectrum . But, that would hold true if a lead was used. On another point it looks like the Spectrum buddy connection is only a signal(PPM) connection, if my info is correct, with no power - unlike Futaba. This would require a separate power supply lead from the Tx to the Rx.
If a 35mHz Futaba 6ex is purchased it could be converted to 2.4gHz(FrSky system) by the installation of a FrSky 'Hack' module, either one way or telemetry unit
OR
then use a FrSky Rx, which are even cheaper than their Futaba FASST compatible Rx. There are threads on the 'tinternet on doing such a conversion, not that its difficult.
This would give a second system to use(agreed on a different 2.4gHz system) for model flying as I believe the Futaba 6 Tx has limited model memory capability.

Chris, you may well be be right about the Spektrum buddy lead, but I have some sort of nagging doubt. It’s just a 2 wire mono lead. When connected to the tx jack it has a battery voltage on the other mono plug, with the sleeve being positive and the tip negative. I ran into this awhile back, when I discovered there were two sorts of mono plug, Spektrum and everybody else.
The Futaba lead has three wires, a transmit and receive, with a null crossover. The third wire is the common negative. The connections in the sockets are via series capacitors, thus preventing, or decoupling, any DC component, I believe.

It’s a long time since I played about making buddy leads, Futaba anyway, my homemade version has lasted many years. I used a piece of screened wire, very flexible but strong, and filled the wire terminations in the back of the plugs with contact cement. The Futaba leads sometimes proved to be a bit fragile in this area, I repaired one or two, but this has stood up to all the pounding very well.
I believe there is a Smart lead, somewhere, that connects JR to Futaba, someone was doing this at a site back in the nineties, I can remember that; the different channel conundrum did crop up, and as I remember that was also solved fairly quickly, too, unfortunately I didn’t bother to find out how.
Futaba have now effectively prevented any tampering with the modern system, with their own design square plug, which you cannot purchase as a separate item.

I couldn’t agree more about the compatible transmitter, I have a Spektrum DXe5 for Spektrum/JR and a SkySport 4 for Futaba, these have been fine up till now; but these might now be famous last words, of course, next time out we shall have a transmitter disagreement!

PB