More fake Futaba 3003 servos.

Paul Marsh

Still out there chaps. I just ordered a couple of these FAKES, didn't know they were. Looked them up on here and low and behold there they are. White output gear, open ended mountings. So I cancelled my payment and sent an e-mail to Fle Bay telling them they are selling fakes, will it do any good???. Thanks guys, from now on it's a real UK seller, local model shop, for me.

Advert

Seems a minefield to me even the CE mark can be faked convincingly which kinda makes the requirement at shows for all equipment to be ce marked a total nonsense as for the copies/clones/fakes being not made to the same standards, can we be absolutely sure there not in every case or even in most cases, after all servo manufacture isn't rocket science and I've had genuine futaba servos (bought in the box with a tx ) fail 1st flight simply jittering around centre 3 servos bought 2 failed never used them since

Why have they got to be 3003s ? There are plenty of good reliable servos of similar power / spec etc. Just remember most of these so called copies have a one chip and surface mount technology board the old originals have multiple component boards. I have loads of Malaysia and china made servos and I have faith in them. You must remember the manufacturers aren't going to do a runner they want your return trade. Where do the UK sellers get them from then? What about the kits then, There was some proper rubbish made and sold in the UK way back and servos ? £12 to £16 for a kit with 22 or so components to build in. We are in a modellers heaven all we need is more spending money.

I don't like even Futaba 3003 originals anyway. As they are direct drive, rather than indirect drive - as on 148's, the have more forces on the motors - prompting a failure.

Had loads of 3003 fail, on in flight on a ATS Mustang racer, luckily, was stuck slightly up, and only noticed it, when I couldn't flare on landing.Just stopped dead. The others either have died, or wave when used, and have no power, as the waving one you could move the surface, no resistance, it would go back, miss and wave until center.

I don't use 3003's now full stop. 148's fine.

Thee 3004 is the same - with bearings, but they only seem to copy the 3003.

More checking. Don't be fooled by "UK stock" etc as I was, thinking they must be the real deal. On further checking they were listed as location "Devon UK", but a delivery time of 14 days using Air Mail???. Then the payment was to

YUAN SHU HUA
111 North Bridge Road #13-06
default, Peninsula Plaza 179098 SG

Don't know of any place in Devon with that address?. So maybe there are no UK sellers just scam addresses in the UK.

A further thought. If we had an accident with a model using these servos would the BMFA insurance pay out knowing they were fakes or would we, the pilot, face a massive personal injury case??. Just asking.

I reported them to E-Bay last night and the sellers are still up there. I contacted Paypal and have been told that I can't get my money back untill I receive the items and they are fake?. Then I can raise a dispute and they will get the money back???. My advice guys is don't go there for the sake of saving a few quid,angry support your local model shop.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 27/08/2014 09:10:25:

I don't like even Futaba 3003 originals anyway. As they are direct drive, rather than indirect drive - as on 148's, the have more forces on the motors - prompting a failure.

Not sure I'm with you Paul, 99.9% of servos have a gear train between the motor and the output shaft; indirect or direct refers to the potentiometer drive and the S3003 is indirect which, as you rightly state, is better, as it's not putting a load on the pot's bearings.

• 3 weeks later...

The saga contnues. I have still not got my money back and e-bay seem to be as obstructive as the seller. They have been informed they are acting as an agent for a seller of FAKE goods but have neither returned my money or taken down the seller. I have had some good buts off e-bay but I will be using extream caution in future. angry 2

Be warned their Money back giarantee is not without it's hoops to jump through.