Electric/35mhz compatability

Ally D

Fly boy 3, sorry for some reason just saw these posts, Yes indeed I live in Perth itself, are you nearby? I don't know why I chose Carse of Gowrie, apart from its so flat it looked like an ace place to fly a model!!!! My Mrs helped me with the covering- she was much better at getting a nice smooth finish than me!!!

Trevor- more handy info- I hadn't actually considered the fact a dead lipo could cause radio failure unless there was something in place to prevent it! Another thing I meant to ask is do all ESCs have the same little 3 point connections as my Futaba style receiver, or is this something I need to watch for when shopping online?

Thanks for everyone's help on this BTW, totally clueless when it comes to this sort of thing!

Ally

Advert

Ally

The kind of charger I would buy is like the Imax B6 as sold here:
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/chargers-c-27.html
You can get cheaper and simpler ones, but I would always go for one with a display, so you can see what's happening.
The type of connector on servos or ESCs is almost standard these days. I say almost, because they all have the same contact spacing and orentation, but the plastic body can have two types of polarisation. The "Futaba" type has a raised rib down one edge, which matches a slot in your Rx socket. The "JR" type has no raised rib, but two corners are bevelled. This type will still plug into your Rx - just make sure the negative wire (black or brown) is nearest the edge of the Rx.

Nice one, I had heard of polarity compatibility, centre positive etc, so just wanted to make sure, gonna check some stuff out online now, see what its gonna bust me and if I can afford it anytime soon, as it has cost quite a lot to get this far!

Ally

These cheap chargers work fine, the output mah is fixed so it can take a long time to charge a larger battery and they can't be used on batteries below 800 mah, but they are the type thats often supplied with all in one electric models. As they charge through the balance socket they balance the lipo at the same time.

While you have no indication of how much charge you are putting in they do work fine, and although I have a better charger (adjustable current, display, upto 6s) I often use it for charging 2 and 3s lipos (they don't do larger than a 3s)