iPhone 4S interference?

dorian martin

About 8 weeks ago i had a near miss with my I phone and my Mascot, I was flying and my phone rang in my car and went to answerphone i heard it ringing in the car speaker handsfree kit (i thought it was switched off) at the same moment the plane went mad mostly elevator inducing some spectacular loops my flying buddy Dave took control and when the call dropped normal flying resumed I was on 35 meg
Yesterday I was flying my wing with a newly aquired Spektrum DX 7 and a GC receiver which i have had 20 Plus flights with the 2.4 and bang all comms to the model gone in she goes (another dob of epoxy and she will be fine )
I collected the bits and tested at the car and then my phone rang with a voice mail.
I checked the time of the call and it was the same time of the crash !!!
It was in my pocket !! I blame it on the cold weather !
Moral of story dont take phone to site or at least switch it off
HAS ANYBODY ELSE HAD INCIDENT WITH THE i PHONE ???????

Advert

Nor I, but I do follow the BMFA recommendations and leave the phone in the the car when I fly.

I have the 4S, which does have a different aerial arrangement.

Andy

At many model shows in the past, mobile phones are banned from the flight line. Also some clubs also ban mobile phones. Was just a precaution, to an incident, but proves that there is a genuine risk of interference. Best not to have your phone with you when flying. Take it like driving - it's against the law, and so it should be when piloting a potential missile.

The only real known, documented, issue with mobiles and transmitters is the Multiplex synthesized 35MHz module. Different theories are around why they are affected, but generally its accepted they are poorly designed and susceptible to outside interference.

Bluetooth and WiFi both run on 2.4GHz, however both are designed (and need to be to get Type Approved) to not conflict with other 2.4GHz users. Any modern 2.4GHz system (that is Type Approved - i.e. has a CE mark) has to do a CCA (Clear Channel Assessement) before transmitting - which entails listening for any signal on its channel, before transmitting on that channel.

How far away was your mobile phone from the transmitter when it happened both times? In your pocket?

I wouldn't find it acceptable if any modern transmitter to be affected by a Mobile phone, like I wouldn't expect my Wireless keyboard and Mouse to go berserk or stop working when I'm on my phone at my desk.

After all, its alright saying that everyone should leave their phone in the car, as per BMFA rules - however if a inquisitive walker comes up to me, their phone goes off and I loose control of my plane - I can't blame them for not reading the BMFA rules!

Edited By Simon Chambers on 07/02/2012 22:07:24

• 1 month later...