PMP New Glider - The Pzazz

I received a news letter from PMP Models, Stan Yeo in which he says he is bringing back some of his wooden models, starting with the Pzazz, an aerobatic glider. Here is a paragraph from the news letter. Idid try to add a couple of pictures but for some reason I can't using this new writing window sad

Prior to the advent of EPP we had the largest range of conventional wood built slope soarer kits in the UK. With EPP, sales of these kits rapidly fell away until they were no longer viable and we, along with others, stopped producing them. EPP has, for us, run its course due to the non-availability of EPP blocks of the grade and quality required for our kits. PMP started life in 1976 designing and producing slope soaring gliders and whilst this activity has lapsed in recent years the desire to design and manufacture never went away. I did not consider returning to our old methods an option so we have invested in a new AO plan printer/copier/scanner, a CNC Router and a quality Laser cutter. The first model chosen for this revival is the Pzazz because it was a very good aerobatic sports model and would be less of a challenge than some of the others to produce as all the new models will have built up CNC/Laser cut wings. CNC and CAD are new skills I am having to learn! The Pzazz Mk2 is now built and test flown and a CAD draw plan produced. In progress are the instructions and other tasks associated with kit production. The new Pzazz is a significant upgrade on the original and takes advantage of developments in RC equipment since the original was designed. It is lighter, more aerobatic and more satisfying to build so watch this space!

Advert

Frank. Theres nothing on the web site that I can see about availability. I am unable to attach a hyperlink here as my screen just goes frosty and I don't get the hyperlink window, but you can find PMP here:

Flytilbroke. I'm not getting the problem you're experiencing but hopefully this below will help.

Prior to the advent of EPP we had the largest range of conventional wood built slope soarer kits in the UK. With EPP, sales of these kits rapidly fell away until they were no longer viable and we, along with others, stopped producing them. EPP has, for us, run its course due to the non-availability of EPP blocks of the grade and quality required for our kits. PMP started life in 1976 designing and producing slope soaring gliders and whilst this activity has lapsed in recent years the desire to design and manufacture never went away. I did not consider returning to our old methods an option so we have invested in a new AO plan printer/copier/scanner, a CNC Router and a quality Laser cutter. The first model chosen for this revival is the Pzazz because it was a very good aerobatic sports model and would be less of a challenge than some of the others to produce as all the new models will have built up CNC/Laser cut wings. CNC and CAD are new skills I am having to learn! The Pzazz Mk2 is now built and test flown and a CAD draw plan produced. In progress are the instructions and other tasks associated with kit production. The new Pzazz is a significant upgrade on the original and takes advantage of developments in RC equipment since the original was designed. It is lighter, more aerobatic and more satisfying to build so watch this space!

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 19/04/2012 15:33:18

I'm after a fully aerobatic, affordable, (cheap cheeky) soarer, and for that reason a balsa model fits the bill. However, I've seen a number of them break quite easily with the odd heavyish landing, (which I have a tendancy towards) after all, they aren't nick named "crunchies" for nothing. Otherwise I'd have a Chris Foss Phase 6 Pro.

• 3 weeks later...

Funnily enough, a couple of weeks ago I was on the slope chatting to Ron Broughton, who builds EPP wings for pylon racers, and I brought up the subject of Stan Yeo producing wood kits again and that Stan said he couldn't get EPP blocks of the grade and quality he required. Ron told me that Stan used to use the same source for EPP as he did, the only difference was that Stan generally used a lighter foam but couldn't understand why Stan was saying he couldn't get the grade and quality anymore when Ron doesn't think there's a problem.

Oh well dont know

• 1 month later...

Its great to see Stan back to kit manufactoring.

I had a number of his kits, Turbo Esprit, wing bat, summer breeze and stilleto. I must say, the stilleto was my favorite, must have been the most verstile glider I have ever own that is not moduled...

Cheers

Kris

• 3 months later...

I maidened my Pzazz yesterday and was impressed straight off with it.

Pzazz

The kit was very comprehensive and the build was straight forward however the wing ribs were slightly wrong (undersized) needing to be replaced, something which Stan sorted out very quickly!

Completed the Pzazz weighed in at 909g... not sure what it should be!

On launch it flew straight out my hands with just a couple of clicks of up needed. It felt light and responsive reacting well to lift, completing rolls and loops with ease. I’d liken it to a light weight Middle Phase.

Pzazz

So all in all I’m sure it will get used a lot and will help me progress in my learning curve (both building and flying). Next will be my Typhoon now I’ve got all the bits to complete it.

*The photo is deformed! Right click and open in a new tab to view correctly.

Edited By Simon Cunliffe on 12/08/2012 09:58:42

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 12/08/2012 10:00:44

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have recently built a PMP Stage 2 aileron trainer and go into Stan's shop quite regularly. Most of the kits advertised on the online shop are available on the shelf.

The actual kit I built was pretty good but instructions were a bit jumbled. I did speak to Stan and he said I was one of the first to build and give feedback and he has corrected the errors. This model flies really well; just a pity the guy on the sticks is not as good as the modelsmiley.

One of my observations is that the method of joining the wing is not that great. He uses light ply plates that glue to the bottom sheets of the joint and then the main spar and centre ribs are glued butted together with a very small dihedral before sheeting the top of the wing. Didn't feel that strong at the outset and the joint cracked on the first flight. I have since glassed the joint with very light cloth. If I was to build it again I would look at a ply joiner running across both main spars.

Rob