In at the deep end (?)

NewBuilderFlyer

Last weekend my father showed me the March edition of RCM&E and I foolishly said I'd build the Harlequin as it was 'beginner friendly'.

I usually build and fly electric helicopters but have always enjoyed working with balsa and ply - although the last time was many years ago helping my father build a glider. In fact I'm not sure exactly how I contributed but vividly recall using tissue paper and dope for the wings.

My garage is littered with plastic model kits, helicopter parts, RC cars and drawers of paint and tools for every modelling task. I sneak out for 15-20 minutes every night just after reading my son a bedtime story.

So in summary I'm a middle-aged born again modeller who has considerably more skill building rather than flying helicopters/aircraft (I have a foam Cub aircraft that I can manage to fly circuits with).

The Harlequin looks like a challenge and I'm concerned I should have bought a kit - but the balsa is ordered now so it's too late! I can just manage to make out how it all goes together but I think it'll be a steep initial learning curve. Hopefully I can contrinute something to the 'build blogs' once I get going.

Finally - it's a pleasure to discover and join this forum.

Advert

Hi NBF and welcome on board!

There's nothing like a challenge to keep you young - go for it mate! And if you get stuck, just ask. As the guys have said there is a lot of accumulated experience on here and its very unlikley you'll come up against anything that someone on here hasn't solved before!

Have fun, building, flying they're both great aspects of this great hobby!

BEB