WOW - Nano 'Copters. Not my thing But ...

BB

Advert

These are all very interesting research projects, however they wouldn't quite work in the real world, yet.

If you look around the flying area you can see motion capture cameras at the top. This multi-million dollar system is the same that you see when capturing human movement for films (with the reflective ping-pong balls stuck on the subject). It allows the researchers to know the exact position of the quadrotors at all times. Essentially making it a control system problem.

So for it to work in the real world, there needs to be a highly accurate positioning system that works in the outside world (nothing currently around that would offer that amount of precision). Also the system would need to take into account outside variables such as wind, rain, heat and sunlight (which affects a lot of current optical based positioning systems).

We don't need to worry just yet about people flying swarms of quadcopters down the flying field creating havoc for the fixed wing fliers. teeth 2

However it does bring up some interesting ideas for future RC use. Imagine an autopilot system that can track another plane when flying. So you, as the pilot, flies the lead plane and following behind in formation are identical aircraft. R/C formation Red Arrows display anyone?

Achievable? With a lot of work its possible with current technology - after all missiles have been doing it for years. Would make a very nice research project for someone.

WOW... !!!

I'm not interested in Quadrocopters either, not scale enuf, but that was very impressive.. !

Next gen UAV's.. Way better than an RC Heli, as they don't have a preferred forward direction..

Loving the squadron on nano ones.. If they flew down a high street, Half the people would think its an alien invasion.. laugh

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 06/03/2012 12:36:27:

I've found the musical one, this just put a huge grin on my face not sure why?

If I ever wake up in the middle of the night, with that music as a backing track .

I WILL BELIEVE I HAVE ENTERED THE TWILIGHT ZONE !!!!!

BB - Now scared ....dept of wetting me'self !!!

cheeky

Edited By BB on 08/03/2012 00:25:49