Planets out tonight

Chris Bott - Moderator

Just driving home I noticed that hardly a star could be seen which is unusual, but there just South of East, is a full moon. Up and left a bit is a very bright er.. star, but it's red, compared to stars. I'd heard that Mars is going to be visible in the next few days so came in to look it up.

Yep - it is in the right place to be Mars and very easy to pick out.

So, looking round, theres two others, star coloured this time, almost in the other durection, maybe directly West. Making the same diagonal as the Moon and Mars and looking about the same distance apart.

A bit of research and it looks like these are Jupiter and Venus.
Does anyone know for sure?

Advert

Mars is at opposition in Leo just now, the two planets you observe are Jupiter and Venus. Venus reaches its greatest elongation on the 27 of March and the two planets you see are closer now than they will be until Venus occults Jupiter in 2065. (Jupiter is closer to the moon and Venus the brighter planet further out on the same diagonal)

Cheers

James

Hi Chris

In the west upto about 21:00 you have very bright Venus., Just above and slighlt to the south, dimmer Jupiter. You have correctly identified Mars, due South at Midnight and Saturn is now rising in the East at 22:00ish. All wonderful through a modest telescope.

Martyn

Mars has actually been around for a couple of weeks now - spotted it when the dog was taking me walkies!

If you have an Android phone I recommend Google Sky Map - great little program. You simply hold your phone up to the bit of sky you are looking at and you see all the stars, planets and constellations labelled. It's sort of a Stellarium in your pocket!

Venus and Jupiter are very prominent in the western sky just after sunset and Jupiter looked very nice through my 6'' reflector yesterday evening. Four of its moons were clearly visible. Venus slightly lower and to the north is much brighter. Because of its magnitude of about -4 its very diffiicult to get a good view of it without a filter. If we finally get another clear night here in northern Germany I will try to get a look at Saturn and Mars. I may even get some flying in soon if the weather improves,

Go on your own! I've seen it twice, and if I had spare funds would be going when it comes back to Manchester later this year! Apparently Richard Burton has a much smaller part now, last couple of times he put on a great show for a man who's been dead for the last 30 years.

The storm impacted at 11:00 am this morning according to my online magnetometer.

Live Magnetogram

Live Magnetogram

Not the stongest I have witnessed. There should be no impact on any terrestrial communications above a few MHz (the flare will ionize the 'D' layer), it certainly wont affect VHF/SHF and Microwave frequencies. Space comms are a different matter as they are in or outside the magnetosphere (not below) which gives us a high level of protection. Certainly it will not affect R/C flying on any frequency - so don't blame it for your spurious crashes and glitches (as if you would).. nerd

However, auroras may well be visible (if the full moon drops behind a cloud) in more Northerly latitudes.

Regards

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 08/03/2012 17:55:43