Birds, it's that time of year again.

Geoff Smith 1

Hiya all. Well, our little feathered friends are now claiming places to raise their broods. Any clever,funny or awkward one's in your locallity? I have a Wren who has decided to take up residence in my garage. My garage, by the way, is a three sided affair with the garden side open. No problem here but I always run my ic engines up in there so thats out of the question. Another typical is that I have just got the thing starting and running first time. Ah well, I get pleasure out of watching to frantic to-ing and fro-ing of this pair. Cheers all.

Geoff.......Bird watch dept.

Advert

Birds are very adaptable and will put up with more than we expect.

Many years back I was involved in testing small rocket motors and a robin's nest was about 5 feet from the test motor. when doing test firings we placed a plastic bag full of straw over the nest then removed it when the test was over. The chicks survived and fledged normally.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Blackbirds, Sparrows, Dunocks a few Robins, Wood Pigeons, Collard Doves, the odd finches and tits plus a Sparrow Hawk looks in for a feed now and again. We also see a couple of buzzards from time to time and loads of Crows and Magpies. The old Heron can't get down to the pond as the approach is too tight, and the Starlings have just disappeared over the last couple of years. Over the winter the gulls spend too much time scrapping with the crows to be a problem, other wise the rifle comes out.

As for vermin Rats, shot quite a few, Field Mice, leave em alone, door mice shot one last week (came too close to the house) otherwise leave em alone. We live in a village with farms around so it's reasonable to expect a few undesirable visitors to the garden when we feed the birds, they have to expect to get shot if they visit.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 01/04/2012 22:19:31

We have 2 x Robins that appear from and fly off in different directions. One lands on the patio door handle when he sees movement indoors. Various tamish Blackbirds, flocks of sparrows and Starlings one of which is also quite tame. Never used to take too much notice of them 'til I got married and Brenda started feeding them. Now we have a morning "bird report".

John

Quite strange our flying site is on the edge of some quite extensive woodland. We have a high concentration of birds of prey. Not familiar with all of them but they do include Kites, kestrels, sparrowhawks and buzzards. We get the usual songbirds, finches of various sorts and plenty of Tits. We also get deer (not sure of the breed) and plenty of foxes. It's really nice to just sit and watch the wildlife somedays.

Andy