2008 First fly-in of the YEAR

Advert

I have ordered it off Pete, He's the new owner of Wowings, I had an e-mail off him yesterday, He has sent the big box on the 30/11/07 and rekons it will take 2 weeks soooooooooooo it will be here soon,

I am not sure yet how I want to cover it, I am quite rough with my models ( because I like to fly in all conditions) I was thinking of glassing it but then its going to look shoddy quite quick, That would also be the case if I go down the spackle route, So I think I am going to just tape it really really carefully. Who knows lol.

I will post a build thread on here so that you can all keep upto date.

See you soon

Lee

The hill you're refferring to is known locally as "The back of trefor quarry" and as far as hills on the Lleyn go is fairly mediocre being set back a little from the sea and having the trees underneath. Though granted, compared to BD and the Mynd is a fantastic hill.

Lift is classic 'bowl' and does indeed feel 'everywhere' when you are up a bit but there is no useable compressive 'edge'. The vertical section of the slope face helps a little but many pilots don't like to fly it as the model is always beneath you.

The path from which you were probably flying (if you were over the language centre) finishes at the quarry on the top of the rivals but if you park at the point where it crosses the top of the hill and walk through the old workings to the end of the right hand side of the bowl with the language centre behind you, you can fly off the cliff face at Trwyn Y Gorlech which is almost 1150ft straight down to the beach in undisturbed air. There is a massive rotor in anything above 15mph though as you'd be behind a significant ridge leading up to the cairn. DS from the ridge is messy and the seperation is too close to the floor to be really useable with crunchies.

I had my fully ballasted Opus VDS ripping off the frontside there but the horizon on the edge is a little messed up by rocks and you need a launcher worth his salt to get away cleanly. In DS is started to get tossed around sideways which is not a nice experience at that sort of speed!

Oh and you need to watch out for the RAF who use the cairn as a turning point!

What you need to remember when flying coastal air is that higher hills do not necessarily mean best lift.

If you're heading for the Lleyn don' overlook the 20ft cliffs when you're looking upwards at the bigger hills.  The dirt cliffs to the back of Hells mouth bay for instance provide superb flying and high speed air through the compression and are mostly below 50ft.

It's an excellent site for soaring and it's a shame more people don't use it locally.

Do be aware that sites like Cim and Bracken Bowl are on private land. No probs if you're walking but if you want to get your cars down there - liase with the locals who need to use it when you've gone.

I'll drop you Dorlings e mail address if you send me a private mail to the address at the end of all my slope columns.

Andy 

Some pics to whet your appetites....

aforementioned cliff face at Trwyn Y Gorlech:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q143/slopetrashuk/ote1724.jpg

Dorling gets away at the same spot - note the big rocks!:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q143/slopetrashuk/IMG_5645.jpg

The other side of the Rivals looking down on Trefor:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q143/slopetrashuk/ote1734.jpg

The north west corner over hells mouth bay - not the dirt cliffs at the back of the beach - excellent compression (Jart - Rodent etc. type hill):

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q143/slopetrashuk/ote1735.jpg

Hi Chris, Lee,

Firstly let me say that I am no different to you, given the choice I would not belong to any clubs. I would love the freedom to fly anywhere when ever I wished. I would love to be able to fly the plane of my choice be it foam, floater, scale, aerobatics or racing when ever and wherever I wished. Unfortunately life’s not like that.

The LMSA was formed a few years ago because we were about to loose all of these wonderful slopes. We were formed to meet the landowner’s requirements.

My own position as Chairman was not sort or wanted. Likewise with all my committee members, they now put their time and efforts in to the LMSA to stop a dictatorship from arising, and to protect our right to fly.

I am glad to hear you say that ‘reckless behaviour is stamped on quickly’ in my experience there are very-very few fliers that are prepared to stand up and ask the group to curb it.

Many just quietly leave, for fear of offence.

It is also good to hear that you only fly with responsible adults, my experiences are somewhat different.

Have you ever asked the group to stop flying into each others heads or aerials, or combating in front of a pit full of expensive models.

How many times have you had to apologise or smooth over issues when people have been injured by models?

How many times have you asked the group to remove their beer cans and sandwich wrappers from the slope?

How many times have you collected rubbish left by others?

How many times have you told the same person that Electric is not allowed?

How many times have you asked kindly of kite fliers or picnickers to fly or sit elsewhere so that they are safe and allow others to continue with their pastime.

How many times do you consider your impact on those around you?

How many times have you considered how your lack of membership of an association protects your rights?

Continued

It’s good to hear that Lee is prepared to put himself out to organise.

But arranging a slope ‘raid’ could easily create problems, for reasons I stated earlier.

Perhaps you should reconsider your position.

And at least put your name down on a clubs listing that might just add some strength in numbers to that clubs battles with ramblers, twitchers, horseriders, etc etc.

The LMSA is not there to stop you and others from enjoying the slope, more to allow everyone equal and as close as possible unrestricted access. It also has an ethos of being as informal and as unrestricted as possible.

Event dates are fixed, as far as possible, with the AGM to allow everyone to arrange their weekends accordingly. How impressed will you be if you travel a few hundred miles to fly only to find that the sky is full of parasenders, or a scale day or any other event that means that your day is wasted.

Andy,

Without wanting to go OT, where i was flying from was actually up a road that i drove my car up (up from a car park next to a wood). the language centre as visible, but it was a long way down in the bottom of the valley.   I certainly wasn't flying below myself - height was huge. Maybe i wasn't flying from the right place. Landing was in the heather just below where I am standing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP_WR8HCX6M

I have also flown off/around the hells mouth, but the lift was marginal as there was hardly any wind. Nice place though!  I was lucky to get a decent day on the Great Orme (blinding sun aside).

Tom

You were in the right place for the bowl Tom. What I was getting at is just beneath you, sort of over the edge of the hill and out of sight at the end of the heather is a vertical cliff face which provides really good compression low down beneath the path. If you want to fly fast (f3f style) this is the place to do it on that hill but as it is well below the pilot not many people like too.

If you drive down the steep road to the language centre and look back you can see the cliff face through the trees. It's a shame the woods are there really as they can mess up the lift near to the floor on some days. There is a nice cliff site just past the language centre ove the little beach which has only a small landing rotor but clean lift.

Most locals only really go up that hill in a NE when they fly the other side looking down onto Trefor and Llanealhearn where Steve lives.

Andy