Avicraft Moronic or WOT4?

jpreou

I've never flown a WOT4 (or any Chris Wot design). I've had two Avicraft Moronics and loved them both. I'm back into the sport after ten years away. I want a throw in the car, tough .46 size i/c model and the Moronic fits the bill but Avicraft advise they are having some troubles with getting foam wings sorted (veneer issues I believe).

Anyone out their actualyl flown both and can provide me a comparison. I'm not into 3D flying; just sport but I do like to throw the thing around a lot. What I liked about my old Moronics is that I would fly them in just about any conditions when almost all other models were grounded. That's what I'm after again; throw in the car, ready to go, tough as old boots to handle almost any weather conditions (especially that harder than normal arrival in said conditions!).

I'm in New Zealand and need to make the right choice because shipping charges will be very high and I don't want to do this twice. I have an OS 55 AX that I can use for this model.

Advice on the WOT4 vs wait for Moronic would be most welcome. Cheers.

Never flown the Moronic jpreou but I can tell you that the Wot 4 is a fantastic model.....the only criticism I have ever heard about a Wot 4 as a general sports model is that it is too common.....H'mmmm could that be because its a fantastic flyer perhaps!!!

So if you can live with having the Ford Focus of the model world in your hangar then go for a Wotty....thumbs up

A Wot 4 & an OS55AX would be a fantastic combo.....

Sorry jpreou I cant advise with a comparison as I am only 2 months into the game, However I have a leccy wot 4 balsa and its pretty flash I am already flying it solo. It is also a capable areobat, but the best thing for me is it low speed handling and landing

Overall It a very forgiving airframe but yet handy enough when you fancy pouring on some coals.

Rusty

Interesting....I thought you NZ guys would have access to the same sort of ARTFs that we guys do here in UK.....you're a lot nearer to the ARTF factories after all...teeth 2....

So what sort of models do you see? Do you get the offerings from Seagull, Blackhorse etc....maybe theres a business opportunity here....importing Wot 4's into NZ....thumbs up....H'mmm I wonder if Dragons Den would be interested......wink 2

It has to be the Wot 4 classic kit, not the ARTF, that will do everything you mentioned your Moronics was capable of.

longer lasting than the ARTF, and if you draw round all the parts before building, you have templates if you need to repair it.

Darryl

Looking at the Mk3 classic. I like the idea of templating the parts; good call.

Steve: we have kits from major manufacturers like Great Planes, Worlds Models, FMS, Parkzone, Eflite, etc but there are so many good UK kit manufacturers and we get none of those. We get a lot of the Chinese foam models at our local stores as well as the NZ auction site www.trademe.co.nz

I've often wondered whether there would be a market for importing UK kits like the Moronic / Panic.

Have a look at www.hobbyhangar.co.nz (my local) and www.rcbandit.co.nz (in Auckland) for stock typical to the NZ market.

Cheers

JEFF

horses for coarses, the moronic is a funfly, it will run rings rouns a wot4, the wotty is a great model, and is aerobatic (in a fun type of way, it is not, and never will be a presicion aerobatic machine) the moronic is MUCH more fun, and a lot lighter to boot, this was the training machine that our team used for nationals training, graduating to the limbo dancer, then our own design, but it was all based on the moronic, 2 differant machines, 2 differant flight envelopes

Interesting stuff Jeff...I was thinking you would get the ARTF Wot4 as this is made in China but when I think about it this is probably a collaboration between Ripmax (British importer/distributor) & Chris Foss (British kit manufacturer).

I don't know your aeromodelling history Jeff but for modellers d'un certain age the PB Models range is interesting too.....all those models you couldn't afford back in the 70's...wink 2

Buying a kit & tracing around the parts would be an idea too......a clubmate did this & then took the templates to a printing shop & had them blown up by 20% to make his own Wot4XL or a Wot 5 as they are affectionately known at our club.....there are about 15 of them built by club members.....here's mine...65" span...ASP91 2 stroke......flies just like....er....a big Wot 4

Yep , the PB Bullet certainly deserves a strong recommendation as a

tough, smooth flying model that copes with windy weather extremely well.

The only niggle could be that ground clearance will be tight for a 12"

prop on a 55AX - 11" is ok.

A Bullet is a different type of model from a Wot4 or Moronic of course.

I've no experience of the Moronic but I don't think a Wot4 would disappoint.

Personally I think the tapered wing of the MK3 looks much better than

the Classic's parallel wing, but they both fly well.

I've contacted Avicraft several times and am told they are having trouble getting veneered foam wings done these days, otherwise I would have ordered one by now. I had two previously; one the original balsa & nylon/dope fuse back when I lived in UK, and one of the newer fibreglass fuse ones when I first came to NZ around around '96 or so. Much preferred the balsa fuse.

The only reason I'm considering the Wot4 is due to hassle trying to get the Moronic (or Frantic) from Avicraft. I'm certainly not interested in the ARTF though; I'd want to 'make it my own'.

I've been in and out of models for some twenty years or so as I have occasional breaks from other pursuits, mainly skydiving but also rock climbing and motorcycle racing (neither of which I do any more). I guess I've had around 25 models or so, of varying types.

My current fleet is a Hangar9 Spitfire Mk II with OS91 4-stroke pumped, a Laser Arrow Delta with an OS55AX, an electric EPO Eagle, E-Flite MCPx heli, Align T-Rex 550e heli, 'own design' foam/balsa based on the Swizzle plan, a Parkzone Extra 300 and an E-Flite micro Sbach 342. So pretty varied.

I have to be honest and state my desire to move away from the electrics and back to nitro, or maybe gas. I find the amount of time I spend managing batteries is way out of kilter with the amount of time the model spends in the air! I sometimes fine the weather co-operating and all my LiPo batteries sitting in "store mode". Even with multiple chargers it can take a good 2-3 hours to charge all the batteries (I usually charge at 1C and never more than 2C). The time it takes effectively prevents me from popping out for an impromtu session. Nitro models with charged NiCads will give me back that flexibility; even if they've been sitting a while they cna be topped up quickly and I never fly for more than 2-3 hours anyway (with only a few flights per model).

The Moronic (or maybe Wot4) would give me back that ability to head out at short notice and have a heap of fun in almost any weather conditions. Perfect!

-- JEFF

Still waiting for a further response from Avicraft on the availability of the Moronic or Frantic but beginning to lean to the WOT4. Got a cost and ... shipping = eye watering! :-|

Still, once I've sorted out my current problem of burst water cylinder ($3000 replacement, thank you very much) then I'll very likely head the WOT4 path, even with the shipping costs.

hello jp..there is a plan avalable for a built up mk 1 Wot 4....fellow forumite mr victor saliba has one and has built the very model......contact him via the forum here......may save you some dosh...check out this link also..

ken anderson ne..1..... internarional dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 11/04/2012 07:59:57

aahh... finally caved and ordered a Mk3 WOT4. Found that the cost less VAT but incl shipping wasn't much different to kits locally in the end. I'll be making certain to template and measure each piece before I build so I have an easy source of information for future repairs.

So, next is engine (already decided on OS 55AX. Then, servos. Anyone got any recommendations for this type of model? I used to use the venerable Futaba S148, but things seem to have moved on a bit since then. I'll be looking for a known name, low cost suitable servo but not sure how much torque is required to drive the control surfaces.

I notice on the Chriss Foss site this bird can also be built with flaps and/or airbrakes and the like, so that will be interesting.

148's are still in the Futaba catalogue & will be fine for a Wot4.

Any other similar, standard sized servo will be ok.

My Mk3 kit had servo boxes & channels cut out in each wing panel

to allow the fitting of a mini servo for each aileron & I used Hitec HS85MGs.

These are nearly £20 each over here but are powerful & tough mini

servos.

The cheaper HS82MG has no ball bearings but is also a good 'un.

I should also just add that I originally used Hitec HS81s here & found

that their fragile plastic gears are easily stripped.

My older Classic Wot4 has a single central Futaba 3003 servo for

both ailerons.

Edited By Richard Wood on 19/04/2012 07:50:50

Hmmm, that's encouraging. Thanks Richard. I might wait and see what arrives before making any further purchases; see how big my holes are!

It got shipped already so it will be interesting to see how long it takes to traverse the world!

• 6 years later...

Old thread!

Can report that I did eventually get the WOT4. It first flew with an OS55AX as planned, then went into storage and is now flying with an Evolution GX10 petrol. Gotta say, if I am honest, I still prefer(red) the original Moronic (balsa fuse).

• 1 year later...

Hi, with regard to the enquiry about the Avicraft Moronic versus the Wot 4 , I have built and flown Moronics for many years. Both are great aircraft but my personal bias is towards the Moronic. Built correctly it is superior to the Wot 4 , the Frantic and Bob ryan's later copy , the Rara Avis. I would be pleased to discuss this with the chap from New Zealand as I also now live in Christchurch NZ. I still have a servicable Moronic in my workshop. Rob Newman was kind enough to give me some drawings and templates so that i could build one here without having to ship parts all the way from GB. I currently use a built up wing instead of the veneered foam kind. Laterly this was not unusual As it was possible to build a much lighter wing. Although back in the day we did all sorts of things to make the standard kit as light as possible. Alan Stead's one was my favourite.

If i may pay tribute to all the guys from Avicraft and also all my dear friends from the Bickley model flying club. I would list names but I fear i might leave someone out and that would be awful. Suffice to say that you were a great help to me at a very difficult time in my life and i will never forget any of you. Sorry for being out of touch for so long.

• 1 year later...

Hi George, I sent you a message. I'm in Christchurch now too, although I'm not flying models any more ... I go paragliding instead, when the wind direction and strength is right, and I have the time ... which is not often all three line up! I'd be keen to get the drawings / templates and start a new build though. I got rid of almost all my gear, but I still have a Spektrum DX6i and some other bits and pieces knocking around here. Not sure whether petrol or electric would be the go this time... pros and cons of each I've found....

I had Moronic years ago. think it was damaged and so flown that it couldn't be repaired. Has a OS 35 Max-s engine, so even with this little power, flew well, as it was very light. Will make another one, if a kit available. Suppose I do have a ARTF panic wing and fuse, only one wing, as the wing was the same as the Moronic, might make a fuselage.

Noticed in this pic, a OS 52FS. Probably had it in the model for running in.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 10/07/2020 10:14:02