Fixing up the trusty trainer.......

Tom T

Advert

haha, good morning Steve. Ok, i haven't got any further than yesterday, except tidy up the workshop. I wasn't to sure what to do next. I will stick a couple more cocktail sticks in this morning then will be back with some pictures, although they are very difficult the see haha.

Cheers

Tom

Hiya Tom,

you're doing a great job here under the careful and very good direction of "Uncle Steve".

Be aware Steve, there are hundreds of us horny-handed old modellers looking over your shoulder going "Ooo no, he didn't oughta have had 'im doing that like that - noooooo. What that lad needs is a furtwangling double downhanger grommit switch with a polley gamgel fitted on it"

(Tom, all that's just to psych Steve out a bit - why should you be the only one under pressure?)

Anyway, come on let's get on with it, you'll have it dark! wink 2

Seriously, coming along nicely - you'll have this fixed up and flying dandy before the weekend.

BEB

BEBs done it now...I'm all nervous.....!!! I'd never thought of it like that......centuries of aeromodelling experience peering over my shoulder

Has Tom used pine or beech cocktail sticks.....? Has he used the correct grade of epoxy? Did he stick his tongue out of the correct side of his mouth whilst tapping the cocktail sticks home.....??

I CAN'T TAKE THE PRESSURE ANY MORE!!!!!!!! (breaks down in a sobbing heap.....)

Tom...I'm looking forward to seeing your pics......I'm expecting to see a nice line of cocktail sticks equi-spaced down each side on the fusealge neating pinning the firewall in place.....

Then we can tackle the bottom sheeting.....thumbs up

haha cheers..... Steve... spacing? oops, haha. I'll sort it out while out there. I have know idea what they were made of, this bit is going well

Cheers Jo, I'm glad i've now got the A bit of the way. Still get a good feeling when i think back.

Apollo 13, you should of shown them all how to build it and your right about the alternatives, Dad said use some white gaffa tape. He would being a typical X farmer, botch job it.

Cheers

Tom

Ok, i have completed that step, I haven't got any pictures because theres not alot to see haha, but i can take some if you would :D The sticks are a bit wonky because i was dodging the metal rods that run through the firewall haha.

Metal rods Tom...? What do you mean??

As long as the cocktail sticks pass through the fuselage sides & into the former & are firmly glued then you will have some good re-inforcement....a pic or two would be useful so we can mark you out of ten for the accuracy of your marking out & drilling....teeth 2

Right....do you have any triangular section balsa strip....? or square section would do.... Cut two lengths to fit vertically behind the firewall....then epoxy these into the right angle between the firewall & the fuselage sides........you might find it worth just trimming or sanding the apex of the triangular section (or a corner of the square section) so you get a good fit between the back of the firewall & the side of the fuselage....you often find that the glue used in the original joint forms a slight radius here that can stop the apex of the triangle fitting right into the right angle corner....

Whilst you've got the epoxy mixed you might like to smear a little over that crack you spotted earlier on the front of the firewall/fuselage joint....this won't add much strength but should stop any oil getting in there & making things worse.

Leave all that to set & you should be ready to sheet over the bottom....thumbs up

oh yes of course, that is what i meant to say Myron disgust

The rods are for the screws to go through for the engine mount. I presume they were put in for extra support. Ok, i will get you a picture smile d. I believe there is already them in place (the corner, 90 degree word bar thingy) I will check. Ok, I will go do all that and i'll be back captain...... smile p.

I'm making a quick video for a friend while i am out there so may be a little longer than ussual, with all the outtakes.

see you all in a bit

Tom

I am back again...... It looks prettier in real life, i swear crying 2

and winging around to the left

You can barely see them but they are there.... all be it wonky and not very well spaced out.

Is this what you ment for inside it?

and from the other angle

Cheers

Tom

That looks fine Tom....a bit wonky as you say but hey! this isn't F4C after all.......there seems to be re-inforcement behind the firewall anyway so forget that bit.....

The metal rods you refer to are the captive or Tee nuts that you fasten the engine mount too yes?

Does it all feel nice & solid?? If so then we're ready for the bottom sheeting......sand all the edges to get rid of any old glue. Try & use a sanding block to keep the edges straight.....then cut some balsa to fit.....don't worry if its slightly big we can sand it back later.....now apply some glue, pva is fine, to all the edges....fuselage sides....bottom of the two formers.....edge of the existing bottom sheeting.....put the wood in place & pin or clamp it securely.....then leave it to set.....

Sand all the edges for a good fit & to blend them into the fuselage & you're ready to cover it....thumbs up