On board Video test flight of my recently electrified Wot 4

I mounted my standard def 808 key chain cam on the Wot that I electrified in this thread. (Didn't want to risk one of my HD key cams.) Good result with 0.67 wide lense.

We get a radio glitch at one certain area of my patch. You can see the rudder twitching. I use 35 mhz and posted a week or two back asking if I might benefit by fitting a dual conversion rx I have kicking about instead of the single in it at present? Anybody want to comment on that please?

Advert

bob-thats a fair old deflection of the rudder allright-was yours the only model in the air at the time?...do you have any overhead lines/transformers on poles nearby?.... or buried cables?.. we can get interference at our club site-i blame the transformer on the pole feeding a farm......more so when the ground is wet from the weather ....

ken anderson ne ... interfered with dept.

Great Vid Bob....looks like you have a wonderful flying site.......

It has to be said that 35MHz & electric flight are uneasy bedfellows sometimes it works & sometimes it doesn't & if it doesn't there is often very little you can do. A DC Rx will probably help but often the problem can be noise fed into the Rx via the ESCs throttle lead which bypasses the RF part of the Rx altogether so a DC unit will make no difference.....does this lead have ferrite rings on at all? Can you separate the ESC & Rx so they are as far apart as possible.....?

Sometimes a few minor changes can effect a cure...

I was quite shocked to see the rudder twitch myself. I'd seen the model wobble at times in flight, but on board video does show the fault well. As far as I recall I was the only one flying. The glitch happens to other people too, IC as well as electric IIRC and on the other 90% of my circuits, landing, slow passes across the field, touch and goes, etc., I had no problems at all. Not the slightest, so I think I'd probably rule out interference from the esc. etc. I have tried to keep them as far apart as poss, but that's not easy in this leccy conversion.

There's an old windmill on a hill in the distance and the glitch happens between that hill and ours. Only that place. It's momentary.

There's a ferrite ring on the 5v tx output from the esc, (BEC I think it's called?) but that's about it. I do have a model finder bleeper between the rx and the rudder servo. Do you suppose it's getting an induced current from a transmission somewhere? No underground (or overground) cables that I know of though the site is on top of a hill so might be on a radio transmission path? I could disconnect the model finder but model finder bleepers have helped me more than once find a model in an impossible location. I plug it in the rudder servo tx output as I regard it as the one least likely to give problems if it went wrong!

If I can get hold of a couple more ferrite rings what would be the best place to put them?

Re is it still up there flying... my first landing I was a metre or two short and caught the electric fence (to keep the sheep off) at the edge of our patch. We lay it down when we fly,  but it acts as a good arrester wire if you come in short or overshoot. I came in short, snagged the wire and went tail over nose. No damage just sheared the plastic bolts which hold u/c. I refitted the u/c and had several more flights and better landings. I'm still getting used to the glide on the Wot and we had a crosswind which did make things a bit more difficult. (Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

Anyway the last 5 secs of the vid have my flip over!

I use a 6 channel Optic 6 Sport. (Doesn't convert to 2.4 even if I wanted to.)  Maybe I could try the model finder in an empty rx channel? Not sure if they require a servo on their output? I'll try it anyway.

edit;   the model finder does work put into a spare channel.

Inidentally, I'm more than pleased with the new leccy set up (it was suggested I should have gone to 5s) and am getting a good 12 mins or more from a charge. And loads of power. Vertical climb if I want even.

Edited By Bob Moore on 03/04/2012 16:19:01

Edited By Bob Moore on 03/04/2012 16:22:08

Edited By Bob Moore on 03/04/2012 16:29:32

Hi Bob, great video, and as has been said ,quite some movement on rudder. Wonder if it happens if you fly in a differant location/ field ? Also if it happens to others you can't really say it is your set up that may be giving problems., best keep well away from said location on flying field. Cheers

Posted by Delta Whiskey on 03/04/2012 17:56:14:

Great Video considering standard key fob ! I would try the dual conversion RX and also pull the aerial wire a bit tighter !

I think that will be the next step.

The 808 #3 was the best of the SD versions and does give surprisingly good results. I don't think you can still buy that version though there are still some decent cheap (£10) versions I think. Chuck Lohr's web site lists the various incarnations and reviews them.  The SD MD 80 is pretty good too for a tenner.

Edited By Bob Moore on 03/04/2012 18:12:50

Not quite sure about that. Despite us having 60 or 70 members I'm often there on my own. That particular day the die hards you can see on the patch were nearly all using 35mhz. I will try and find out, but the glitch 'area' is well known at the site. It may well be that 2.4's are ok though.

2.4 won't glitch though just go to hold and then failsafe if the interference is continuous. The other thing you could try is a Multiplex IPD Rx they have some onboard processing which checks for interference before sending signal to servo's, never had a glitch when flying electric on 35 MHZ with one of these.