What would happen if........

Terence Lynock

What would happen if you mounted a motor on a swivel plate so it could be turned 45 degrees to port or starboard activated by a servo?, was looking at a vectored thrust setup and thought it could be done with a prop.

It would be a bit complicated but a vertical pivot could also be constructed so the prop could go anywhere within 90 degrees horizontally and 90 degrees vertically too, would it have any application for aerobatics?,

regards,            Terry

Advert

Nah....no welly chompers - a hairyplane with a variable prop that could be moved to 45 degrees to the centre line of the fuselage, would it go round corners better?, by angling the prop upwards by 45 degrees just think how tight a loop you could pull!,

regards,                 Terry

Reverse pitch is quite easy, just use a ESC for a boat or car with reverse gear and away you go, in a demonstration video on Utube I noticed the model had a complete mainplane that worked like a Canard pivoted at the wing root so couple that to a variable angle prop and you could do all sorts of strange things.

Reverse pitch would be most useful on short landing strips or for sticking the anchors on in an emergency but would it put any strain on the motor/mount etc?,

regards,              Terry

Building a motor mount pivoted on the X and Y axis is not the problem, a few bits of thick wall brass tube, some carbon fibre and a few screws/nuts and bolts and I can knock something up in a day.

Thing is what would it fly like?,  how would a lightweight 3D take to being dragged around corners by the nose?, may be fun trying to find out,

regards,          Terry 

Whilst pouring bricks, sawing concrete and laying timber in the new house extention. I have used a 230mm angle grinder from time to time. Whilst manipulating it, I have noticed that the gyroscopic effects can be quite noticable.

Which set me wondering, how large are the gyroscopic effects with a propeller and motor rotor. I have never noticed them.Is it because the mass of propeller is quite small and the mass of the rotor is concentrated close to the axis of rotation. In other words small radius of gyration with low mass?

Is there an academic out there, who can say?

Also has Ian considered the use of gyroscopic forces to achieve, extreme movement, rather than using gyroscopic effects to maintain heading 

Erfolg

May do a bit later as I always like to experiment with ideas, presently sorting out plans for a 1:10 Tempest V but found the plans are not what the doctaman ordered with a big fat aerofoil section and perfectly flat top to the fuselage forward of the canopy.

I am redrawing the wing with a substantial main spar as it didnt have one! also changing to an Eppler 205 profile to thin the wing down a bit - the Tempest V had quite a thin laminar flow wing but this thing looks like it came off a Halifax.

The original wing drawing has ribs carried through to give the leading edge its shape with pieces of Balsa glued in between the rib noses so you have about fourteen joints along the leading edge, no main spar only four stringers two top and two bottom let into the ribs, no dihedral break just outboard of the main gear as there should be and no gussets or diagonals so basically it is all one big cockup,

regards,        Terry