P-40 Warhawk

Kelly

Advert

Kelvin,

I just read this whole blog mate good stuff really enjoyed it really nice model too think it makes a change to the usuall war birds. Once my boomer has taught me the ropes and ive had one or two low wingers i hope to get a nice scale bird myself. Have you flown her yet.

Alex.

Hi Alex,

I  have to fit the exhaust and finish installing the radio plus all the bits and bobs .

May not be allowed by my club to fly it , I do not have my A cert yet (no such thing 30years ago). so I may have to find a suitable alternative flying site, the one I use at the moment has long grass so it is no good for the P-40 even when the grass is cut short the surface is very uneven .

Hope to do a video of the engine running soon .

Still got the 109 to fly and the Kawasaki Ki 61 ( see my build blogs).

Kelvin,

Yeah i do like your 109 on day hey

Must say that exhaust system is pretty awesome looking at it i bet its going to sound fantastic big I.C's (well ish by todays standards) and multiple outlet exhausts your talking my language there its almost filthy he he...

Will check your other blog as soon as i get chance , let me know when you have done the video would be interested to see it cheers Kelvn.

• 4 weeks later...

Kelvin,

I been following your build for a while.  I have one of these that I've flown for some time. Our field can be a little rough at times and pretty wet in the winter and so long as you tend to the straightness of the (rather soft and springy!) undercarriage legs regularly and keep your landing speed down ther is no real difficulty.  Looks great in the air too!  Just be careful on take-off as she needs a fairly healthy dose of right rudder as she lifts off or she'll drop the left wing - I had several fairly hairy take-offs until some helpful sole at the club pointed me in the right direction!

Best of luck

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for the advice and tips,  I have been wondering about the U/C,my local club have a nice new flat grass strip so I should be fine.

On takeoff she behaves  like the real thing  eh ,cool .

Not sure when I will finish the build,been flying my Spit while the weather has been good. I also need to maiden my 109 to finish the blog for that. EP is my preference although I am looking forward to running the Saito to see what it sounds like with the fancy exhaust  .

Cheers,

Kelvin

• 1 month later...

Hi Kelvin,

I bought the Hanger 9 p51.  I have to say they are nice kits.  How do you find the exhaust?  Any issues with fitting it?  How did you go cutting the cowl so there's enough ventilation, where di you cut?  I am cautious about cutting it to allow for the engine to cool but without taking away the scale look.  I also have Saito 100.

Have you managed to fly the P40 as yet?

Regards

Dean 

Kelvin, Do you mean me? Yes I had a silencer  made by Just Engines. its basically invisible except for from below. Just needed to open up the "mouth" below the spinner and take out the bottom back 3" of the cowl in a lrge curve for the exhausts to poke out and to provede cooling. Its about right now, although I did overheat it on a very warm day by doing two consequetive long vertical climbs, ie max load and minimum airflow. 

Only "problem" with the Mustang is due to its scale undercarriage placement its light on its tail so ground handling is trickey and almost impossible in a blustery wind. It either gets weathervaned round or blown onto its nose despite using full up elevator and good blasts from the prop to hold it down.

Nice to hear peple are happy with Hanger 9 models, I'm not!

I have a Corsair that has not flown yet. The undercarriage keeps collapsing before it gets out to the strip.

The first time we took it out the fin broke when the undersarriage gave way. On stripping the covering to effect the repair I found that the grain of the wood was horizontal instead of virtical. Of course this could have given way in flight, if I could get that far.

I am starting to think the only way forward is to throw the provided retracts away and buy a new set. This makes the model an expensive buy and if I'd known about these problems would have prefered another manufacturer who did not include a substandard set of retracts.

Sorry to put a spoke in the euphoria

Hi Arthur,

Lots of mixed reports on the web about Hanger 9 models although the positive ones far outway the negative.

It's a bit like buying a car, you may have got a duffer.

I would go back to the people who supplied your Corsair and get in touch with Hanger 9 about the faults.

May be good to do a retrospective build blog with pics of the bad bits.

Cheers

Kelvin 

I must admit there are some areas that i was not ahppy with.

I found the in the instruction manual that there were mistakes with what drill bits to use, as in one section it would say to use 5/32 drill bit and then later in the same section it makes reference to 8/32 holes that we drilled earlier....making the situation confusing.

I also found that there were extra screws and bolts but I guess thats better than not having enough of the correct ones.

My Retract servo did not fit correctly into the wing as the centre spar prevented the servo from sitting the the bracket.  Had to improvise.

The string in the wing to assist with the servo extension lead was not there on one of the wing halves.  Made things a little annoying.

And finally some of the control horns were poorly drilled.

Fingers crossed I dont have the grain issue like that of the corsair..sorry to hear about that.

Kelvin I bought one of those exhausts from Keleo yesterday for the Mustang...can't wait for it to arrive.

Good news Dean .

My P-40 was spot on only real issue has been the wing tip wrinkles in the covering and I have gone over the rest of it with a heat gun to make sure it is stuck down properly (it was lifting in places).

The U/C works fine on the ground but I am a bit unsure as to how durable it is?

I am using a seperate battery for the U/C and one of those onboard glow thingys to reduce the possibility of engine failure.

I also intened to pin the control surface hinges, just to be sure.

Apart from the above it is put together as per the instructions.

Dean,

The scary part is if you take out the wheel wells, its a mess inside. I reinforced mine with quarter inch balsa to build a subframe and carry through structure via the servo, which as you say needed remounting to fit properly. It was worth it as an arrested landing by hooking a wire fence with an undercarriage leg caused no damage to the plane

The only build / durability issues with my example have been the following;

one retract bell crank screw which has come out three times (now loctited in - should have done this the first time!)

the springyness of the undercarriage legs which can be a real pain on a slightly rough grass strip in the winter.  Keep needing to bend them back after each landing (perhaps my landings are a bit hard!)

The wheel/retract fairings (very thin/fragile mouldings fitted on the wings) which are so fragile they lasted only two trips to the field before they cracked just through general handling of the airplane.  Inexplicably, these are NOT available as spares (although every other part of the aircraft is).  Hence mine are now lined with fibreglass cloth.

On the spares issue, I had a small accident in Sept 2007 on landing and flipped the plane on its back.  The only damage was a badly cracked canopy.  No problem I thought, I'll just get a spare.  ELEVEN months later the spare arrived!!  Apparently (according to my local model shop, and a shop I use regularly in the US and Horizon Hobby) there were none available anywhere for the whole of this time!  The moral of this tale is, DON'T BREAK IT!!

She is now flying on a RCV90SP on a 15.5 x 12 four blader - Fantastic sight AND sound in the air.  Roll on the weekend so I can have another go!!

nice blog kevin very informative has made my mind up, im getting one just need to find a shop that has one  i nice to see a different warbird and as a ww2 aviation buff the hanger 9 p40 is as near scale as you can get in an artf. i have an old great planes p51 back in canada and spent a long time fixing non scale errors i look forward to seeing more of this type of post as it was well thought out and all info added for others was related and to the point good job every one my hats off to you guys

• 2 months later...