Hangar 9 Corsair 50, scale details

Reno Racer

Dear folks,

I've been flying my Hangar 9 Corsair 50 now for about 8 months or so. Its a great flying plane and realy looks that part in the air, I think H9 did a great job on keeping it looking scale; some of the corsairs i've seen just look either ugly or far too cartoon like.

Initially, when I first built her I did a number of small mods. Firstly, I fitted an ASP 91 FS, which is slightly larger than the Saito 71 to 82 recommened. In retrospect, i think this is a perfect fit for this plane. mounts the same, fits almost in the cowl and has the right amount of power and swings a prop about he right scale size (in this case a 14x6 - later changed to a 3 blade 13x8).

I also sprayed the underside of the all blue plane in light gull grey, using the methods picked up from Tony Nijhuis builds; scotchbrite, then spray the film and finally a coat of fuelproof laquer.

I flew it like this for 8 months; with a bit of weathering, a fast low pass looked and sounded awesome! Here she is in the modified 'old' scheme.

However, I really fancied a Fleet Air Arm Corsair, so last weekend she had a make over. I cut the canopy and scaled it out a bit to leave the canopy open. I also resprayed her, using the previously decribed methods, and added some 40 size roundals from Major Decals and some panel lines from Mick Reeves and a bit of stencilling to create this:

Hangar 9 Corsair 50

Now I think it looks much bettersmiley I've used the suggested EFlite rotating retracts since new, but next on this list is a good set of oleo legs to fit.

Amazing what you can do with an ARTF to make it different and, i think better!

Chris.

Advert

Hi Christian,

I've been gathering bits for the Hanger 9 Corsair 50 and a little while ago I discovered this website.

I sent for a set of drop Tanks which came quite quickly considering that it is a US site which I may try to fit for extra scale detail. They do single centre line tanks or pairs of tanks. they also do rockets etc that may be of interest.

I like what you have done with yours by the way. I fancy the Pacific fleet air arm colours with the white roundals.

Alan

Guys,

Thanks for ther encouragement, wasn't sure if it was one of those' beauty is in the eye of the beholder' moments.laugh. I wanted something to fiddle with before starting the next major scale warbird build project.

For paint, I used 3oz spray cans from testors model masters, which I can get from my local Hobby Lobby store. I then used a satin laquer to fuel proof and seal the decals and stencilling.

Alan, I've used Park Fly Plastics many times before for canopies and their upgrade ABC sets for FlyFly jets and PK warbirds. Never thought about getting some drop tanks for mine, but now I'll have a look.

Just need to add some weathering now, especially the bright radial engine details. Also need to do something with the canopy, it caught some laquer overspray, which i thought would be OK, but its a bit cloudy in areas.

Might also look to modify it a bit more and add some undercarriage doors. I know many of the 1.4 and 1.7m foamies have all this already, but i'm not a fan of foam warbirds. IMHO, a 3lb foam warbird will never sit in the air right, just too light and gets blown around like a kite. 9lbs+ is much better.

BTW, Danny, I nearly bought a Sea Fury having seen your modifications. You're right, it fairly easy to improve/personalise an ARTF and they look so much better.

Chris

Edited By Christian Ackroyd on 10/04/2012 02:38:11

Looks great Christian nice to have something abit different and thanks for the link to Park Flier plastics, I was just this weekend looking for somewhere that made drop tanks for my top flite P-47 as Top flite have decided to dis-continue the wing tanks !

• 2 weeks later...

Bucksboy,

These are what you need. EFLG320 is the product code. Cheapest price I found them for was on Amazon.

Don't let the 25-46 size name fool you, these are all metal and a similar size to 46-60 sized air retracts that I've used before from Spring Air or Robart.

A quick internet search shows Steve Webb has them listed in stock, here

I have since fitted some sprung oleo legs to mine from RC-Warbirds.com here. These fit perfectly, with a bit of fiddling.

Regards

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Jon,

Its a great flying plane, with no real vices. I am very happy with mine and IMHO, a 91 FS is what's needed to fly her properly.

I built her exactly as per the manual (initiallywink) without any dramas.

You will need lots of throw on the elevator to stop her nosing over in longer grass. The eflite retracts (and the included fixed gear) are canted forward slightly which helps; and slight toe in. One thing to watch with the eflite retracts is that if the struts get bent slighly, it stops them rotating properly when retracting. I fixed this by just cutting the struts down and fitting oleolegs instead.

I'll keep monitoring this thread, if you have any questions, need photos etc, just shout.

Regards

Chris

• 3 months later...

Hi Christian

I finally completed the build and maidened the model last week - just one flight as our patch was cut up by motorcyclists and the u/c dug in on landing - the starboard wheel came off but no damage thankfully. I hope to continue flight trials this week weather permitting....

I modified and added to the decals supplied with the kit and also replaced the horrible gun port mouldings with three brass tube sut offs let into the leading edge...

Power is an OS 55AX with a pitts muffler fitted. I did have some small issues with the build such as the motor mount not being the right size as the firewall drill template but all in all I am very pleased. Take off was rapid and short - climb out was easy and only a couple of down elevator clicks required for level flight. The retracts worked ok....I installed a separate battery for these and put it in the same plane as the main r/x battery so there was no adverse effect on the c of g which was pretty much bang on when measured

img_0472.jpg

img_0470.jpg

Jon

Good news Jon and your corsair looks much better than 'standard'; i do agree about the stick on plastic mouldings, i also binned the guns.

I still fly mine regularly. In fact its currently my everyday 'hack' I since added some scale oleo legs to mine.My ASP 91 FS propels it nice a fast and fighter like, i suspect your 55 2 stroke will be the same.

I've now taken this idea forward onto a Bobcat 52 prop jet, which i've just finished painting and recovering to make it look like a RN Sea Vixen, of course that will be MUCH faster than the corsair.

It would be nice to see H9 deviate from the norm for their next 50 size fighter following the P40B and bring out something different. I'd love to see an F4F Wildcat, BP Defiant or similar.

I always felt that the Corsair was an ugly duckling, but my liking for her has grown over the years and the conversions here look great I really like the open canopy Christian. Top stuff.

I also read somewhere that leaking fuel tanks were the reason for that distictive tape in front of the canopy.If my memory is shot let me know.

good stuff all the same.

Jon,

I just got some standard straight sprug oleos (I think 105mm long) from my stash of spares. I then used a dremel cutter to trim off the struts on the H9 retracts and fitted the oleos flush against the retract pinnion block.

This also stopped the retract struts bending back on landing which then caused the retracts to not achived the full 100 degree sweep as the wheels where then slighting misaligned with the retract wheel wells. Although that said, that was propabaly just an issue at my old club site and landing on slighting lumpy rubberised landing strip. Its now much nicer on grass.

BBC, thanks for the comments. The open cockpit actually started as a test run on my new proxxon scroll saw. i was going to get a new canopy, but thought what the heck, i'll try and make some lite ply inner canopy frames and the open the canopy. it worked a treat. sadly, i've not used the scroll saw since!

• 4 years later...