ST-330 Easy fly canopy loose

Olly P

So, I was at the field today, having had a successful flight in the rather bumpy conditions with the easyfly, and decided to have another launch. all was going well, until during a turn the canopy came off and the flight/control batt followed it...

On inspection of the surprisingly together airframe the motor is kaput - this would require the nose cutting open to fix, the canopy is gone, and the wing brace aluminium bar is bent (very bent)

I will probably consign this one to the scrap bin, but if anyone wants it to try and fix then just ask.

I have too many other airframes i'm working on to take this on too, especially as parts arn't easy to get...

Shame, she was a nice flyer, but at least when I've lost another few lbs I can get the Hustle (and SWMBO approves!)

The canopy had been secured with:

The supplied moulded in plastic clip (not very good)

4 rare earth button magnets (2 per side)

2 elastic bands - one front, one rear - Still intact, oddly.

Role on weigh in....

Edited By Olly P on 15/04/2012 17:30:15

Advert

Steve - I joined the 'fat club' to support my misses in weight lose, and I did have a few stone I could afford to get rid of.

We agreed rewards for each other at certain stages of progress. I'm currently owed a £100 amazon spend and another standbox, 2 stone reward is a new aircraft, and I've negotiated adding my amazon spend to the original aircraft budget, and anything left I can use for amazon.

I was only 6 lbs away last time I weighed in, but have been pulling double shifts for the last 6 days, and therefore have missed weigh in. Advantage is that I'll burn a lot of energy, disadvantage that as going from on work to the other I'm eating rubbish fast food.

have to weight and see (pun intentional)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, had put on, and then lost some weight so more delay, however I have persuaded SWMBO that I need something to fly so an order went into Bryce last night, my new Hustle should be here soon, with the upgrade electric pack and undercarrage.

In the meantime I'm still working on the Mick Reeves Thriller from Alan.

And back on topic:

I have had a very brief look at the ST-330. I think I can make her fly again, but I'm going to make her an unpowered sloper. Even if I get one flight it is worth it. So the motor will be hacked out of the nose and a new nose made with a pointy end. I am considering covering in lightweight glass and poly-C - any tips on what I should do to the foam first?

Then just need a UBEC and a battery, a new canopy (better secured..) and she will fly again....

Anyone near Manchester going sloping soon and want to show me how it is done?

Right.

Popping round to Dave Gilders place on Sunday and we are going to have a look at it.

current plan is to make a new canopy, figure out a better wing fixing method, and new nose.

If time we can then look at using the Poly C I have just ordered to 'glass' the ship. I'm also tempted to try this mixing of powder paint thing people are talking about as a top coat - she really could do with some colour!

Right, update post visitation

We have WBV and Glass clothed the fuselage, the motor has free'd up and spins cleanly.

It is at Dave's place, he is going to add a few more coats, then paint and varnish over the top, to protect the paint.

I am going to do the wings, probably in the next couple of weeks, as tomorrow is already booked up. I will be keeping my eyes open for a pop-bottle of some description to use as a mould to a new canopy. This one will be hinged at the front, and then held at the rear somehow - I have some hatch catches from slec, which I might use.

The bent aluminium tube will be removed and straightened when I collect the fuselage from Dave. If it is too weak, I will make up a carbon tube to replace it with, Dave and I discusses a few options on how to make the whole wing fitment better. the wing bolts I fitted are an improvement but not a compete solution.

OK, update from yesterday.

First layer of glass cloth and poly C went on mid afternoon, and then a second and third coat of Poly-C

I have also made up a test piece of offcut foam, put 2 coats on as normal and then added a coat which had been mixed with some green acrylic paint. it gives a marbled effect, and dries noce and hard, but not the finish I was looking for. Therefore I am now looking at airbrushes and may go for a block of paint under a few more layers of Poly C, again will do a test piece first.

Right. both wings are polyC covered on the top faces, going to start the bottom of one tonight. Airbrush collected from PF depot this morning, along with some acrylic paints. just need the hose and adapter ordering, once I've checked the fittment on my compressor at home!

If I get the bottom of both wings done this week I'll have a go at airbrushing them this weekend, and depending on how Dave is getting on with the Fus, might be able to fly this weekend!

First aileron done to 3rd coat stage. one more coat tonight and that is finished.

One other underside to do, then ready for painting. Oh, and a DVD on how to airbrush to watch. Working late on Friday, and all day Saturday, so might get painting done sat evening depending on weather - need to sand first though.

How goes your bit Dave?

Right.

Sanding and airbrushing done on Sunday PM.

The wing isn't sanded as smooth as I had planned, but it'll do fo now. If I want any more from it I'll revisit. Airbrushing done, one wing is green and blue on top, with green blue and white underneath, the other is similar in red and yellow.

I now need to decide if I am going to stick with the original plan of Black Ailerons as well...

Then Varnish.

Dave has I believe done the stripe down the fuselage and varnished so will be collecting that sometime soon I hope. Then onto the canopy, wing rod and wing fixing arrangements (really think they need improvement). remaiden over Jubilee is possible....

Flapperons programmed onto Tx - I've wanted to do this for a while but not got round to it.

If it wasn't for the Local Beer and Cider Festival happening over the Jubilee Weekend I'd be taking this and the Fox to the Orme for a day.

Photos then:Right Wing u/s

The LH Wing Underside

right wing t/s 2

LH Wing Top Side. You can see the remnenants of the experiment with mixing colour into Poly C on the Aileron.

left wing u/s

RH Wing Underside

left wing t/s

and RH Topside.

I'm actually quite pleased with the effect, especially for my first attempt at airbrushing anything. Ever.

Olly

Right, collecting the fuselage from Dave this weekend (sunday) and attempting to create a canopy. I have a few ideas so will see what works.

looking at some other forums there are some ideas for holding the wings on, so will try a couple of those too.

Might get up next week!

Thanks Chris.

I was going to throw it, but David Gilder convinced me it was worth trying to fix - it didn't take that much arm bending tbh.

This particular airframe has done well for a freebe, I've crashed it, broken the nose, repaired it flown it and thought that she'd had enough. A coat of WBV and glass cloth and she looks good again. I do need to sort the canopy and the battery security out though.

I think I will be masking up around the canopy, bending an appropriate fizzy pop bottle to fit and then applying glass cloth and poly-C. I will then look at battery security - probably rope the misses into making a couple of clip straps to be routed through some ply plates attached in the canopy area.

I will hinge the canopy at the front and have some slec clips - I think one will fit at the rear and replace the useless one that came with it! I will have to decide on building a false cockpit or just painting the canopy, but that can wait until I've done some post repair flight tests - maybe next week.

Between the local beer and cider festival (very good selection of 200 ales, beers and ciders) tomorrow and Sunday morning are written off, so I'm collecting the fus Sunday pm then will be spending some time hopefully sunday night getting started. either Monday or Tuesday will be a day for SWMBO, then the other will be preparing for a competition I might be in on Thursday. But I WILL get the canopy done so she can fly at some point next week!

Edited By Olly P on 01/06/2012 11:27:13

Forgot to say, I've tried some things for the first time during this re-build - glass cloth, and airbrushing being the 2 most obvious ones. I think it helps that I feel this airframe has done its time and even if she doesn't fly again I'll have gained the knowledge without any loss.

It has also inspired my to try for a PSS model from foam of the TB3 I'm going to build for my Sveno SPB power aircraft at some point, cutting my own foam and then glassing and airbrushing (at least the russians had simple colour schemes!)

I've found a reasonably priced foam supplier, sorted a power supply and just need the nichrome wire.

That however is a topic for another thread!

All in all even if she doesn't survive the re-maiden she has done me well and taught me a lot, not just how to fly!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, canopy attempt number 1, using a dead irn bru bottle, cut up. the plastic want to pull in a little too much so I have bent some spare control wire to shape and glued with a clear adhesive. Looks quite good - now the middle and ends fit but between them wants to curl in. going to try a little gentle heating.....

dsc00379.jpg

Now have a new plan, involving some spare balsa sheet, water, household ammonia and a Pearson saw.

I'm going to make a rim from the balsa by soaking and then strecthing to shape over the cockpit so it has the right curve, then once dry I'll cut it into the right shape. I'll then cut a knife blade width slot to insert the pop bottle edge into and glue into place. Hinging will go into the balsa, and the catch will go into the plastic, or a balsa lead out.

This will all have to wait til next week as SWMBO is back tonight and I'm working away from tomorrow til Monday. I don't even know if next week will be possible.....

Olly

Well, Swmbo is running very late. This means I have soaked some balsa sheet in ammonia and water and have now clamped it to the fuselage to dry to shape.

Once the sheet is dry I intend to laminate strips together and then cut a 'sheet' of plastic from a pop bottle to fit.

Once all the glue is set I'll add a hinge and catch.

All depends when SWMBO gets home....

• 3 weeks later...

That didn't work.

The plastic is stronger than the thin balsa I had to use to get the curves. result - plastic caved the bals in. snapping wood, pinging balsa, not pretty.

So I have now carved, shaped, hollowed and sanded a canopy, I am now looking at using a Tesco brand energy drink bottle. these are a blue metallic sheen. I intend to cut one as a cover for the foam. This entire thing will need hinging and catches installing.

My plan is to use the foam almost as a perminant plug for the outer blue plastic from the bottle.

Just need to buy and drink a bottle first.....

Bottle too small...

I have therefore covered a foam plug with poly C having sanded it to shape (well close enough)

I then sanded the inside using a homemade sanding rod of card from inside a fabric roll, with sandpaper stuck to the outside. the canopy with catch fitted weighed in at 20g. I hinged it this morning and have glued and pinned the catch plate so it will be held down properly.

Re-maiden is planned for tonight......

Right then.

Hinge didn't stick, and the catch was a little proud, but secure.

I used some wing bands I had in my flight box as extra security and away she went. She flew better than before the Poly-C based repairs.

so tried out the flapperons, did lose height a little faster than without them out, but this was negated by the fact she was a lot more slippery! the performance with flapperons was like she was before the Poly-C!

I had half a dozen flights last Friday evening and then had a beer, very pleased with how she had done,

An early start Sat allowed a dawn flight (well almost) and during a low pass I pulled up too sharply for the throttle and speed, and stalled. She nosed in.

Firewall broken and bottom of mose cracked. oh, and a previous damage point reopened at the canopy rear.

I had a proper look on Wednesday - the fuselage is now repaired, a new firewall has a motor ftted and the Poly-C/Glass cloth is currently at home drying. I have a perfect drinks bottle to cut a nose out of. I will also add some air flow holes into the fuselage and adjust the canopy catch position.

She'll fly again next week.