First DLG Glider?

tony cooper 2

Granted that the Elf is very good, but ailerons will allow more axial rolls and when mixed as flaps allow a far more controlled landing, or catch, and they can proved camber changing for improved thermaling or speed. The Mini Fireworks is available as 2 or 3 channel to suit your needs.

rolls with a DLG??? and i am sorry but i catch my elf every single time!! the camber change is of use to some but as a first time dlg and for someone on a budget the elf is the perfect introducton, 120 quid 2 small servos 30 quid, lipo 7 quid and an rx of your choice, very little work to do, if i was gonna spend serious money on a dlg it would be the blaster 2

rolls are not a problem, but its not a perogative of the type is it really, on a model that small i can see no benifit from ailerons blaster topsky etc yes, but for a little chuckie!! not sure they are warranted but hey whatever, my personal opinion is if the poster wants to keep it cheap and simple get an elf, if however he has quite a bit of money to spare then i would invest in a blaster 2

I was not aware of DLG before seeing this thread, I'm quite taken by the idea and it would fit well with the field which is available to me. I've done some searching about models ... here's a question I haven't seen answered yet.

I am left handed, and in terms of throwing my left is the dominant side; all the online pictures (and you tube vids) I have seen show models being swung from their left wing tip ... I would be wanting to throw from the righthand tip. Does anyone know if any/all models cater for this option ...

If you look at that picture of the Elf, it shows tabs in both wings for hand launching, so I guess you choose to fit the one which suits you best.

Just remember when you spin round, let go of the glider and not your tx. Took me nearly 10 minutes to stop the tears flowing when one of my club mates explained how he had made this mistake. Got a good 10 second glide out of the tx by all accounts !!

Will be getting one of those Elf's when funds allow. Looks to be the perfect piece of kit as I'm looking purely for a thermal glider and not something which will do aero's.

Cheers,

Simon

Posted by simon burch on 22/04/2012 20:00:13

....... Just remember when you spin round, let go of the glider and not your tx......

Cheers,

Simon

I'm mindful of that possibilty which is why I would want to launch left handed ... I'm sure if I try it my efforts will be amussing enoigh as it is! Also I always have the Tx on a neck chord ...so I'd end up with the Tx smacking me in the face ...

Now you mention it I can see the Elf is equipped for left hand drive as well, all the other offerings I have seen are right hand drive ... hence my question ... are some models built asymmetrically to account for the 'discuss loading' ?

Edited By avtur on 22/04/2012 21:27:04

I never understood what all the different types of gliders were, DLG, HLG, F3K F3F, F3P and god knows what else; i was always too confused to know what to buy. I've just bought a DLG almost by luck whilst trying to find a easy to travel with model that can been flown on almost any good field and that doesn't require my field box, lipo charger fuel etc etc etc.

Now that I've decided to buy and after doing a bit of t'interwebbing, this DLG thing is starting to look really attractive and an alternative method of flying to my normal petrol and four stroke WW2/WW1 planes.

I took a punt and bought a Great Planes Fling Sport DLG 1.6m span, which I bought in the US for $100 (60 GBP). Now that I know a little bit more about DLG gliders and readng some US forums, it seems this plane might be a bit of a bag of spanners with a similar glide profile . Oh, well at least it can give me a taste of it before shelling out some dosh one of the better models.

Does bring back memories of when i used to fly full size Grob 103s.

I think i might get hooked by this.

Edited By Christian Ackroyd on 24/04/2012 01:01:03

• 3 weeks later...

been pondering this question as well. i have one of these just finished and waiting on some calm weather to fly it. might be waiting a while given the current forecasts. **LINK**

i only have micros and tend to fly my hz champ in 'glide mode' rather a lot. been thinking an entry level dlg would be perfect for those calm days and the days with a bit more wind when my micros get blown about the sky!

my thoughts were:

- bug dlg (new design see post 507) probably very cheap to build. **LINK**

- elf

- alua

- super mini topsky

• 11 months later...

I'm just returning to the fold after a few (hic) years away OMG I gotta get me one of them DLG's One for starters seems to me to be the super mini topsky . I feel an Internet purchase coming on lol Ill keep you posted And I got a couple of redundant garbolino top 3s that will make an excellent tail boom mmmmmmm now how to make the wings ???

Well I've been seduced by the dark side and ordered an Elf . I was gonna go for the top sky I mentioned earlier but I weighed up the pros and cons and the Elf came out on top because of the ease of just 2 channels and she looks a little more stable so good for me on my way back from a long lay off .

Problem is I ain't told the mrs yet or the fact that ill prob be on my way to Brighton today to pick up a full ic set up , ill cross that bridge when she comes home from work .

Wish me luck lol Cookie

• 2 weeks later...

I must say after flying my elf for the first time she's an awesome little bit of kit . Flew straight off the cuff and the height you get from a side arm launch is amazing , never mind the full discus launch. I'm hooked now DLG is clean , quiet , and very rewarding even on just rudder / elevator .