Throttles, Speed Controllers and Motors

Advert

• 2 years later...

help please. first foray into electric flight with a hobbyking Skipper as i wanted a plug and fly first model. It has a turnigy 40amp speed controller with an unknown motor (buried in cowl) but its a red anodised outrunner if colour helps identification. I have fitted a Futaba 2.4ghz 617 Rx and Tx is a Futaba ZAP9. On connection of lipo i get the following :

2 quick chimes, a quick twinkle chime, 1 beep, 2 beeps, 3 beeps, 4 beeps, long chime, long chime plus short beep, long chime plus 2 beeps. than a pause and it then repeats from 1 beep.

it does this regardless of min or max throttle position.

nothing in instructions (downside of all in a box ?) and cant find a download file from turnigy

what now ? frown

confused Rich

Edited By richard cohen on 30/01/2015 20:46:38

Which specific Turnigy 40A ESC is it, Richard? There are several and it does matter as specs and programming can vary.

Secondly, it sounds as if your ESC is going into programming mode, which it will do if the battery connection is made when the throttle is anywhere other than minimum. I believe the throttle channel has to be reversed on Futaba gear.

You'll also need to 'teach' the ESC the throttle limits. Before you do anything, make sure the prop is removed to avoid unscheduled excitement....smile o

Pete

Having found the HK Skipper, I understand your problem - that Turnigy ESC supplied doesn't appear in their product listsad

A bit of digging around and I've found the Plush range ESC manual and page 4 describes the sounds you mention above, so I think there's a good chance following those instructions will program your ESC. Instructions found here.

Any problems, ask away...thumbs up

Pete

• 8 months later...

Another HK skipper ESC problem.

I am using a Hitec Focus 6 transmitter with the Hitec 2.4 module and a optima7 receiver. The esc is a Hobby King 40 A unit that came with the skipper. The skipper was new late summer. When the transmitter is powered on and the the power applied to the ESC the alert tones are just a 3 tone series like 2 -3-1, with 1 being the lower pitch. This sounds only once. I have found that as soon as the receiver and transmitter connect I cautiously turn off the transmitter and then back on it will go though the normal arming and everything works. Although motor has never turned until fully armed it is not a comfortable procedure. Do you know what that single 3 tone series means? I have tried 2 different Hitec Focus6/ Optima7 combinations with the same results.

By the way it works fine with a Spectrum 6i and HK orange receiver.

Jerry