Fake Spektrum gear

Devon Flyer

Quite shocked tonight to find that one of our club members has been duped into buying fake Spektrum AR 500 receivers. He ordered them from the States and was told they were a discontinued line and that 14000 were available?! At £20 a pop they seemed a bargain.

Apparently he ordered them direct from Horizon, the Email was intercepted and the fake items were supplied by someone else. Horizon have offered to replace the fake items.

They differ from the real items by having a white sticker on the back and stating 'Made in China' - genuine ones have black stickers and say 'Made in Taiwan'. The fake ones fall out of bind once the Tx is switched off and you have to rebind to get them working again.

The biggest surprise was that, from what he told me, Horizon are aware of fake transmitters, including the the latest DX18, are on the market, which unless you took the back off them and had a real good look inside you would never know the difference. Someone has supposedly already lost a large model at a show, using one of these.

This is a very worrying state of affairs.

Edited By Devon Flyer on 03/05/2012 22:59:31

Advert

It is worse than that - many ICs and other components are faked. I believe that in one case, a fake has even ended up in an american military aircraft. Legitimate manufacturers can also inadvertently buy fake components. In short, I don't think there is any easy way for a consumer to detect *all* fakes.

I think the only answer is to buy from trusted sources, and hope that their supply chain hasn't been compromised. It doesn't help that manufacturers don't always make it easy to spot fakes, by changing visible aspects of the design (q.v. the pound coin, and the estimated 3% fakes in circulation).

Posted by leccyflyer on 05/05/2012 07:32:21:

Are the counterfeit units substantially different than the pukka AR500 in practice? In other words have they been implicated in lots of models being destroyed and all sorts of reports of loss of control?

Who knows?

Most people wouldn't even know they were using fake stuff.

The receivers I saw would have fooled me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...