Unknown purpose

Advert

I agree, looks like a grub screw to lock the shaft, so you reverse the motor drive/mounting if required. You sometimes find these have either come loose and are loose in the box with the motor; assuming it came from HobbyKing.

I 've had lots of success with Turnigy 5055 motors; got a 5045-890kv, 5055-600kv, 5055-400kv and 5065-400kv. Never had any issues.

The grub screw should bear onto a flat on the shaft at the front end of the motor. This will prevent any slippage of the shaft in either a turning or longitudinal direction.

How you intend to mount the motor is relevant. If you are mounting it behind the bulkhead, the prop will be mounted on a prop adaptor on the protruding shaft. Without the grub screw, the force generated by the prop could eventually pull the shaft from the motor.

If you are mounting it with the motor backplate against the front of the bulkhead and using the (often) supplied prop adaptor which screws directly to the motor can, the grub screw prevents the prop from pulling the motor can forwards and off the stator (smile o).

Another option is to move the motor shaft forwards to protrude from the front of the motor. You'll often find there is a second flat on the shaft in the appropriate position. You can see there is also a recess for the C-clip at the far end of the shaft if the shaft is used in this way.

Whichever way, I'd definitely put a grub screw in it, Jo! teeth 2

Pete

To me, it looks as if there is a circlip groove on the other end of the shaft, if My eyes are correct, the shaft has been fitted backwards, the circlip should be the other end where the grub screw end is.

At the moment, there is nothing holding the whole lot together, no circlip and no grubscrew.

There should also be a groove a little further down the shaft, the end where the wires come out, in case you mount te prop on the other end, and maybe grub screws as well.

Posted by Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 05/05/2012 21:35:25:

Mr. Chris B. for Your info in the box does not any grub screw....it made me little confused ,but I have one and I put it ,it does nor reach the shaft but only outer bearing cone...

Thanks a lot to everyone at the weekend time ...all the best

Cheers

Jo

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 05/05/2012 21:37:07

Even more strange, why a bearing between to things that have to be fixed together?

It's not April 1 is it?

Posted by Steve W-O on 05/05/2012 21:36:27:

To me, it looks as if there is a circlip groove on the other end of the shaft, if My eyes are correct, the shaft has been fitted backwards, the circlip should be the other end where the grub screw end is.

At the moment, there is nothing holding the whole lot together, no circlip and no grubscrew.

There should also be a groove a little further down the shaft, the end where the wires come out, in case you mount te prop on the other end, and maybe grub screws as well.

Sorry Steve, assuming I'm not on your 'Ignore' list and you can read thiswink 2, I can't agree with you.

The shaft is fitted correctly. If Jo looks at where the shaft protrudes from the motor backplate, he should see a C-clip in a groove, flush to the bearing with probably a brass washer beneath it. If the shaft is to be moved forward, to protrude from the front of the motor, the C-clip would be removed and replaced in the groove visible at the right-hand end of the shaft. Another photo of the backplate would help, Josmile

The only omission is the grub screw, which should be in place to prevent the shaft pulling out of the motor can through the backplate.

Finally, Jo, if you have another look and use a depth gauge on the grub screw hole, you will find that the grub screw will penetrate to the shaft and ideally, to the flat on the shaft, to lock everything in place. It should not bear on the outer bearing cone.

Either I'm correct or I've made a complete ass of myself............teeth 2

Pete

Posted by Pete B on 05/05/2012 22:15:51:
Posted by Steve W-O on 05/05/2012 21:36:27:

Sorry Steve, assuming I'm not on your 'Ignore' list and you can read thiswink 2, I can't agree with you.

The shaft is fitted correctly. If Jo looks at where the shaft protrudes from the motor backplate, he should see a C-clip in a groove, flush to the bearing with probably a brass washer beneath it. If the shaft is to be moved forward, to protrude from the front of the motor, the C-clip would be removed and replaced in the groove visible at the right-hand end of the shaft. Another photo of the backplate would help, Josmile

The only omission is the grub screw, which should be in place to prevent the shaft pulling out of the motor can through the backplate.

Finally, Jo, if you have another look and use a depth gauge on the grub screw hole, you will find that the grub screw will penetrate to the shaft and ideally, to the flat on the shaft, to lock everything in place. It should not bear on the outer bearing cone.

Either I'm correct or I've made a complete ass of myself............teeth 2

Pete

I don't know why you should be on my ignore list, also I have said almost what you said in reply, except the fitting of the shaft in the current configuration.

If the shaft was the other way round, and the end with the clip was behind the place with the missing screw, it would prevent it pulling through, aided by the grub screw.

I don't think a circlip groove under the prop adapter does anything, and I have motors without flats on for the grubscrew, that is where my thinking came from.

Dear Pete B and Steve W-O,at first thanks to both indeed....I realized "The catch 22" and I set a grub screw in the place....I can only get better...but the qestion remains why no instructions in the motor box ?......it does no metter ,You are all here...thanks and have a nice day.

Cheers

Jo

Motor position

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 06/05/2012 09:45:09

Pete,another view for You (You ask for it..lol)...never ending story.....Here over Adriatic becoming cloudy /risk of rain/SE gusty, ..and no fly today....sad

To All of You I wish pleasant weekend...wherever You are...hot

With Respect

Never ending story

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 06/05/2012 10:26:55

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 06/05/2012 10:28:42

Thanks for that, Jo - yes, the C-clip is clearly visible. This weather seems to be Europe-wide - cold and blustery with some sunshine and sharp showers here, but heading towards 30C later in the weeksmile

The lack of instructions is not unusual - the manufacturers make a lot of asumptions about our abilities, I think! Fortunately, with forums such as this, help is never far awaythumbs up

Good luck with the maiden......

Pete