UMX Carbon Cub SS

Posted by Towlie on 14/05/2012 15:44:30:

Oh this thread is really making me want one ! But its going to cost me about £180+ to get one frown as I dont have a speccy TX

E-bay.. ? As people move on, 6 channels isn't enuf, so there's bound to be some on there due to upgrades..

I fly on a 35Mhz Futaba FF7, so no BNF's for me... UNTIL, I came up with the brilliant idea of buying Paul a Dx6i for his birthday, for use on his boats.... NOT..

I immediately got the UMX Sbach, before the throttle was sprung n centred for the boats n car, and now it's too late, as I've explained, it would mess up my planes... So it's mine until I upgrade to a Dx8i... He's still got a 4ch 40Mhz to be happy with..!!

Is that evil of me.. ?? Nah... UMX's are worth it.. !?!

I'll get my coat..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 14/05/2012 16:42:12

Posted by Cyclicscooby on 14/05/2012 16:40:40:
Posted by Towlie on 14/05/2012 15:44:30:

Oh this thread is really making me want one ! But its going to cost me about £180+ to get one frown as I dont have a speccy TX

E-bay.. ? As people move on, 6 channels isn't enuf, so there's bound to be some on there due to upgrades..

I fly on a 35Mhz Futaba FF7, so no BNF's for me... UNTIL, I came up with the brilliant idea of buying Paul a Dx6i for his birthday, for use on his boats.... NOT..

I immediately got the UMX Sbach, before the throttle was sprung n centred for the boats n car, and now it's too late, as I've explained, it would mess up my planes... So it's mine until I upgrade to a Dx8i... He's still got a 4ch 40Mhz to be happy with..!!

Is that evil of me.. ?? Nah... UMX's are worth it.. !?!

I'll get my coat..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 14/05/2012 16:42:12

Haha no its genius but I dont think my other half would be too impressed if I bought her a Dx6i lol I am watching a few speccy radios on fleabay and hoping to find a bargain, but lots of them have gone for almost as much as a new tx, guess I'll just have to wait then and try to ignore all you lot playing with yours !

I did just buy a lovely 26cc petrol engine so I guess I can complain but still I need a cub with floats for the local park :P

Edited By Towlie on 14/05/2012 16:47:16

Towlie, the shows are worth a visit to cut costs..

I got my Sbach from Als Hobbies, at the nats last year, for £72 when it was £120 new..!! Snapped his hand off, i did..

So, when I found out Al was at Longmarston, this weekend gone, I went along JUST to get the Cub.. Had it in my hands within 5mins of arriving..

Its was £99 ( £110 the cheapest i've seen).. Not as much of a bargain as the Sbach (Still £72 show price, this year) but along with the spare Overlander batt, and other odds n sods, it was worth the £8 each entry..

I couldn't tell you the show prices of the speccy's cuz I had tunnel vision on the cub, but they are always cheaper than normal..

Plus, many other stands sell Speccy's, so it's worth shopping around the show..

It must be said, the bargains are harder to find in these financial times, but Al's Hobbies ALWAYS do show prices, so if he's there, it's worth going....

Where are you..?? Is there a show near you soon..??

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Yeah will visit Al I used to work there so will try and get a bargain off him

I am down in the South East not sure what the next show is but hopefully I can get a deal otherwise my LMS usually does me a good discount, but the best they could do was £90 on a DX6i TX

I think the DX6i is probably my best bet as then I can get a mCPX too :D

I was working near Cambridge today. Quite convieniant, really as I was coming back up north, I seemed to find myself at Inwood's again.

Oh well. So I bought a Carbon Cub. Need to get the floats and the glider.

Bound it to my DX6i, but might use the DX8, as the DX6i only has a two-position flap switch, not three, giving none, pos. 1 and pos .2, which can be zero. 50% and 100% flap.

I had a couple of flights with the Cub.

Wasn't that impressed with the AS3X system. Not used it before, but seemed to remove control and make flying it harder. Not sure if it was the breeze, but found it uncomfortable - either that or must prefer flying it 100% rather than it trying to fly itself. Going to try again, but wonder if one can disable the AS3X system?

Also full flap is waaay too much! even pushing down, it looped it-self. Limited to 50% travel, which seems to be an ideal compromise.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 18/05/2012 16:10:38

Oh.. !! Soz you experienced that Paul..

I found it to be excellent in dead calm, but also a bit tricky in cross-wind gusts, BUT,

I was going as slow as..

It was too windy for the Minium..

The Sbach would have been going faster, and wouldn't fly that slow at all..

Here's my VID, shot in dead-calm skies..

I'm gonna move the Rudder in a couple of holes on the horn, as it lacks aerobatic authority, plus isn't used by the AS3X so wont upset anything. It suggests doing this in the manual, when fitting the floats, presumably for the water-steering..

Also gonna move the Elev in one hole, as slow exits from a loop could do with a 'bit more'...

I'm still very chuffed with mine.. It's my new 'Minium' type hack, and I hope to have many many happy hours pottering round the blue with it..

I've lost count of the number of flights and touch n go's the Minium has had, probably into 100's of hours now, which makes it very cheap to fly (pence per flight) compared to my £200+ Extra, which has had < 2hrs, so has cost pounds per flight, so far....

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 19/05/2012 07:01:02

I had another go today. Was dead -calm, so a good test. It's ok, but annoyed me with the system keep correcting itself, when I don't want it to. Not that impressed, really. Pity one can't turn down the gain, like on a gyro - making it less intrusive.

Years ago, I fitted an old Quest mechanical gyro to a Flair Cub - just to experiment. Did make a difference, but I was able to turn down the gain, until I found an ideal compromise.

What horn holes is yours using..?? I found my AS3X to be the opposite, but the plane is a bit dosile, cuz all holes are 2nd to outermost.. Further out than I would normally setup..

I've moved my rudder to 4th in, and elev to 3rd in, but haven't flown it since..

I've always pulsed the throttle then let it sit for 5 secs, to activate n set the gyro's, but have you tried just taking straight off, before it activates..?? I presume it'll still come on, in the air, but the levels wont be correct, so it might be worse..?? Don't know..?!?!

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

• 4 weeks later...

Very poorly Carbon Cub ...

Confession time … holiday weekend was away in Wales and had some really nice weather, calm and sunny; had a great evening flying all three current models. Was on my third flight with the Carbon Cub when I made a big mistake, I was trying to multitask, chat and fly at the same time ooops! For a couple of seconds I lost concentration and ended flying across the setting sun … and blinded myself. Result was I let the plane get too far away and lost orientation, I realised that I’d ‘lost it’ so cut the throttle and left it to its own devices. It came back to earth about 500-600 metres away in a field. Recovered it sometime later, but must have nosed in so although in one piece the front end has suffered to a noticeable degree. Continued fyling quite happily with the mini Champ and CubLP

Posted by Paul Marsh on 15/05/2012 21:03:12:

Bound it to my DX6i, but might use the DX8, as the DX6i only has a two-position flap switch, not three, giving none, pos. 1 and pos .2, which can be zero. 50% and 100% flap.

If you are not using the gear channel you can mix gear with flap and effectivelly get 2 settings, I did this on an EDF with retracts, retracts only extended gave take off flap, retracts extended and flaps deployed gave landing flap setting.

Sorry to hear that Avtur...

Glue-able..?? Or new fuse time.. ?

I've been getting carried away with touch n go's, on a stoney concrete drive, and have 'nicked' the ickle prop already.. Still flies fine, but a spare would be nice..

( NOTE - I wouldn't fly a 'proper' plane on a nicked, bent, or anything other than perfect prop.. !! )

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

• 2 months later...

I would buy a model to fly in small spaces, with wind and low speed (when necessary) as a garden of 50x50 meters (in the air I have more space, but around the lawn there are trees). One side of the lawn has trees and is a little raised with a strip of asphalt (large 1.5 METERS)
Pensatop I had to take the 'UMX carbon cub or UMX beat 3d.
What I coinsigliate?
Now there are still problems with these models? (I have read of problems UMX models)
If you know any other models suitable for these flight conditions, tell me as well ...
thanks
ps: now I can fly inside that space with a ParkMaster 3d but the wind is very complicated and in any case it is always in curve

• 1 year later...