UMX Carbon Cub SS

Took a liking to this as soon as I saw pictures a few months ago ... picked one from Steve Webbs yesterday and flew it today (on a very sunny if slightly windy beach on Anglesey)

Very pleased with it, charge battery and into the air, tiny little out runner has plenty of oomph ... has the A3SX system which works well on a small model in a breeze. Amazing amount of technology in a very small package. Even has nav lights and a landing light, not sure why, can't be seen in bright sunlight.

the A3SX system is activated once the throttle has first been used, so initially handling the model you're not aware of it. I do a couple of motor runs holding the model then the system kicked in ... didn't think it through completely, a couple of minutes later while handling the model I thought I'd got a bad dose of servo chatter, beginning to wonder if I'd got a duff one !!! Then the penny dropped that was the A3SX at work ... doh!

In the air the system works really well, the servos are quite noisy to the extent that you can hear them working when reacting to the A3SX input.

I'm sure this type of model will not find find favour with many people, but each to his own and I like it, does what it says on the tin and certainly works for me with no time to build while working silly hours to make ends meet. In fact due to the availability of ARTF & RTF I've actually flown three different models today, something I've never done before; a Champ, a Super Cub and the Carbon Cub ... Is there a theme developing there ...?

Edited By avtur on 06/05/2012 22:25:57

Tell me everything about it Avtur...

How do the flaps work..?? Is it fast, can it go proper slow, etc...

I loved and flew my Minium to death, and this is a perfect and much wanted replacement...

I've got the UMX Sbach with same gear, and it's a 'proper' plane, but also 'proper' fast, and I miss pottering around the sky at walking speed...

I had enuf spare cash on Saturday, and went to a LMS, but they didn't have one, otherwise....

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 07/05/2012 12:24:08

I very nearly brought one today as I also think it is a nice looking plane and the A3SX system was something that interested me being a newbie to RC planes... But ended up going for the HobbyZone Super Cub LP which also has some sort of anti crash system on it too. Have I made the right choice, has anyone in here had the hobbyzone super cup and what do they think about them.

I'd say you have made the right choice as a first plane Jeff.

I have just converted an old HobbyZone Super Cub to brushless this weekend for my 9 year old lad. Happy to report that he maidened it yesterday with no problems, he wanted to go again today but the rain stopped him.

I wouldn't rely on that anti-crash technology too much though, previous owner of this cub of mine said that all he "could tell was a dumbing down of the controls". Previous owner has his A certificate now.

Posted by Cyclicscooby on 07/05/2012 11:55:57:

Tell me everything about it Avtur...

How do the flaps work..?? Is it fast, can it go proper slow, etc...

I loved and flew my Minium to death, and this is a perfect and much wanted replacement...

I've got the UMX Sbach with same gear, and it's a 'proper' plane, but also 'proper' fast, and I miss pottering around the sky at walking speed...

I had enuf spare cash on Saturday, and went to a LMS, but they didn't have one, otherwise....

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 07/05/2012 12:24:08

Has a good turn of speed, the motor is spec'd up for use as a glider tug so it's got plenty of oomph, but it will potter as well. Have some experimenting to do with the flaps, using my DX6i they are up or down and the down is probably a good 40 degrees, so need healthy amount of down elevator programing in on a mix, not got round to that yet. Really looks the part in the air, as with the real thing take of run is minimal and it climbs like a good'un,

thanks Allan, its good to know that I haven't made a bad choice I see so many hobbyzone planes about I thought I'd go for it. I'd guess that the anti crash is more of a flying aid and will not stop me crashing but help me while I'm learning. It's not my first plane although I think it will be the 1st one I fly as I am currently building a super 60 but fearing the worst I didn't want to have to rebuild it after the 1st flight lol

Posted by Jeff Gurney on 07/05/2012 21:59:07:

I very nearly brought one today as I also think it is a nice looking plane and the A3SX system was something that interested me being a newbie to RC planes... But ended up going for the HobbyZone Super Cub LP which also has some sort of anti crash system on it too. Have I made the right choice, has anyone in here had the hobbyzone super cup and what do they think about them.

I now have both, started with the Cub LP a few months back, and as of Saturday have the Carbon Cub. I'd say the Cub LP is a really good starting point. So far I've only put a couple of batteries through the Carbon Cub and I'm very pleased with it already, its a lot of un. However I'd say the LP is the one that will have you achieiving success sooner, even with the A3SX the Carbon Cub has bit more of an edge to it that makes it fun. The LP is naturally stable and really doesn't need any assistance, if my experience is anything to go by you're confincence will develop well with the LP; and then take a look at the Carbon Cub.

Edited By avtur on 08/05/2012 00:32:43

Gonna try and talk the other half into Longmarston, cuz Als hobbies are there, and they did me a cracking deal on my UMX Sbach, so fingers crossed...

I must admit, if you look at what you could get for the same money, it's quite off putting, but if you want a TINY plane with FLAPS, then it's a must i suppose..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Posted by Cyclicscooby on 08/05/2012 12:11:46:

I must admit, if you look at what you could get for the same money, it's quite off putting, but if you want a TINY plane with FLAPS, then it's a must i suppose..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

And don't forget the working lights, they should be quite noticable around dusk smile p

I got a spare battery, which I did feel was a tad expensive ... £14 for a 2S 7.4v 180 mAh, but don't doubt I'll be getting my monies worth out of it!

Edited By avtur on 08/05/2012 14:55:54

FYI - Overlander do a 200mA which is not only cheaper and fits, but also has the 'normal' power n balance leads, so can be charged with a normal charger.. iirc I paid £7..

Also, the supplied E-flite Lipo appears to have died..!! Wont hold charge.. I did run until the motor pulsed, twice, but still....

Overlander's fine tho..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

I've been looking at this plane cub for a while and I am very tempted , it does mean if I get one I also have to get a Speccy tx to go with it :/ I just hope the LMS doesnt have any in or I am gonna get told off when I get home lol !

I GOT ONE...

At Longmarston today... £99 too..

Very happy with the two flights so far, but was a bit windy, so opted to ditch in grass on the first flight, and i've just noticed i'm missing a wheel spat / gear leg cover...

Going out to the field a second time in a minute to find it, but otherwise, really chuffed..

Flaps slow it right down, the manuals 40% Elev mix suggestion, is bob-on, no pitching at all..

AS3X works like a heli gyro, moving Ailerons and Elev to compensate for unwanted movement..

Nice size, couple of inched bigger than Sbach, chunky tires, lights are a nice touch, but not hugely visible with low sun (Paul saw them immediately, but flying it, you don't look)

Will report back after 2 more flights and a field walk to find leg cover..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Phew... I found it..

There's only a thin bead of glue holding the leg guards on, and the leg has a Z-bend to take shock, so movement is expected..

I'm gonna proper glue the centre 'lugs' to be safe, maybe a couple of loops of wire too, leaving movement top n bottom..

Not a massive problem, and in no way stops play, just a bit miffed at my landing in a tuft of grass..

Two more flights, and getting used to the flaps now.. Its not windy out, but a bit gusty, and a cross-wind too, so super slow flap landings were a bit wobbly, but higher speed without flaps was sweet..

Still motors along well on full chat tho..

The AS3X can be seen (and heard) working, but is pretty 'invisible' on the controls and atitude of the plane.. as it should be I suppose..

On half throttle, coming low across the field, at me, it sounded real too.. nice prop noise..

It feels alot more solid than previous UMX's.. The fuse feels like you can hold it anywhere, only the tail stabs are as thin n delicate as previous models, but you don't usually crash backwards do you..!!

The windscreen is substantially thicker than my UMX Sbach, adding to the 'chunky' feel of it in your hand.. The aileron servo's are also covered on this model, not open like my Sbach, and presumably the Beast, etc..

The Aileron servo's are off-set long throws, so differential is built in. The 'down' side barely moving, but all the surfaces are pretty tame.. I looked for suggested throws / DR settings in the manual (Only flap-Ele mixing mentioned) but the surfaces move so little, that 100% is fine

I've set up 70-80-80% Ail-Ele-Rud on lowrates, but haven't used it yet..

The horns are all connected to the last but one outer-hole, so throws could be increased, BUT, this may make the AS3X twichy..?!?! It does suggest NO MORE than 4 clicks of trim, as that upsets the AS3X, and instead, re-centre trims and alter the Z-bend in control rod..

Too dark now for a fifth flight (Even with lights), but so far I can report that it meets all my expectations, and is ACE..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 12/05/2012 20:54:07

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 12/05/2012 20:56:38

Posted by Cyclicscooby on 12/05/2012 19:12:50:

Very happy with the two flights so far, but was a bit windy, so opted to ditch in grass on the first flight, and i've just noticed i'm missing a wheel spat / gear leg cover...

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Ah yes the u/c leg spats ... forgot to mention that I lost both them on the first outing. Made at least 15-20 landings on the beach, all on wheels and without nosing over (!) Iwas so engrossed in the flying that I didn't notice the spats were missing until it was time to pack up ... had covered quite a wide expanse of beach .... needle in haystack job ...

I also looked at the control throws, elevator movement seemed quite small but decided I should stick with out of the box settings for a while. My concern was having enough up to hold the tail down on landing roll, but all was fine.

Posted by avtur on 13/05/2012 02:51:40:

I also looked at the control throws, elevator movement seemed quite small but decided I should stick with out of the box settings for a while. My concern was having enough up to hold the tail down on landing roll, but all was fine.

Ditto.. Normally, I would have moved the holes closer before flying, but cuz of the AS3X, and the fact it aint a 3d machine, I've left it for now..

I was so overwhelmed by the flaps, that I didnt try any funny stuff in four flights.. !! Very unusual for me.. I did try a couple of rolls, but due to the ail-diff, they're quite poor..

The Horizon vid shows it knifing and inverted, so it can be done, but it's got flaps..

Ali Snr was raving about how strong the Cub feels, and was very excited about getting the UMX Glider when it's launched, saying that he and Ali Jnr couldn't wait to get one each..

Thats gotta count for summut, when someone who flies the most expensive, beautiful planes available, really likes a £100 UMX.. !!

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Spat Fix...

I'm really lucky I found the missing spat, you might not be..!! So, here's a simple fix to stop it leaving the aircraft.. ..

My new Cub after 2nd flight.. Taking pics, for here, when I noticed the spat was missing..

01 New Cub missing spat after 2nd flight

The 'Z-Bend' legs, and the 3 lugs that hold the (remaining) spat in place.. Theres also a small bead of glue, but it's minimal..!!

02 Z-Bend legs

Also note, the 'proper' battery hatch. Hinged one end, held with a magnet the other.. Nice to see on a small model.. Also the rear mount for the floats set. Really does feel like a 1m W/S model, in hand and flight

I drilled two 1mm holes just above the middle lug. You could go smaller, maybe 0.6mm for a tidier look.. Then wound 2 loops of wire thru, before glueing with thick green Zap..

03 Spat wired inside

04 Spat wired outside

And from 18 inches away, barely noticable, so invisible in the air.. I'll paint the wire silver, next time I open a pot..

05 Spat wired at distance

Just waiting for a bit less wind, and i'll be back out with it..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Haven't been able to fly since.. Sunday n Today are 11mph plus (11.4 as I type) and AS3X or not, that's too much for a nice landing.. It would fly, the Sbach has flown in 10mph wind, without much fuss, but landings are hit n hope..

I will get my headcam out on the next flight, I promise..

There's a link halfway down the side of that vid, thats got the towing combo INDOORS.. !! Doesn't work, but you see it.. The ASK has quite a WS is you wait for the pic at the end of the vid..!!

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

(18.6mph now.. )

Posted by Delta Whiskey on 14/05/2012 15:35:08:

Be good to see some 'real' video's of this model rather than promotional ones !

....just found one....

**LINK**

Would love to oblige but being 'billy no-mates' I don't have anyone to film while I fly crying 2

Don't have head cam or anyhing like that ... will have to hope wind drops for Cyclicscooby ... actually could do with the wind dropping here too so at I can fly mine ....

Edited By avtur on 14/05/2012 16:22:52