DeAgostini Spitfire Engine

Bill Hughes

Advert

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i was a first time builder and flyer. commited to build it i was, the detail was utter rubbish so i made a fiberglass govering, very strong and cheep.my engine and eletronics came within  1 month of ordering just in-time for the 60th issue.

i joined a local flying club and after 3 months managed to fly the spitfire easly, i replaced the rods with vcarbon rods so V strong, landing gear was made with a air pressure tank landing gear, just need to re-enforce the wings a bit.the radio should be replaced with a much better range and quality radio / transmitter.

started to collect when i was around 11 it took 2 years to collect (around) and 1 year to build as i didnt have much time.

even though it took over £500 it-self i still needed at least another £200 to modify the plane. the LEO 46 engine didnt last V long but i didnt expect much from D'L. 

• 1 month later...
Hi Guys, I've recently started to build the Spit on behalf of my grandfather. He's had all the issues in a box in the front room for about a year and a half and done nothing about it. My question is as I'm only at stage 14 and could easily modify any part of the build from this stage does anyone have any hints or tips to share. Hind sights a wonderful thing! Also after reading about the problems with the engine and transmitter, what engines/transmitter would anyone suggest instead. Regards Rhys Bidder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hi all

just starting to biuld mine after years of collecting and finaly geting all the parts yippee. i read some of you have upgraded the ailerons,changed the engine,stiffened the wings,changed radio, my question is ,,,is there a spitfire that is original to the magazine contents that actualy fly ????

and if not what you would recommend i change first ??...  to all with previous experiance

• 2 months later...

Hi,  I have just been given a box of Diagostini Spitfire parts and itend to build it.. checked all parts and find that parts from issue 4 are missing. Fus side, Bulkhead/former 5 and a wheel, the wheel I'm not bothered about, the fus side I can copy from issue 5 fus side which appears to be the same, as for former 5 it appears to be the same as 6 but with a flat bottom which I can easily reproduce, but is the curve at the top end the same as 6?.  Any help would be appreciated.

Mike White

Saw this advertised at the time, and whilst I wasn't tempted, it is obvious that many people were.

What is interesting to read is the rather sniffy comments from people at the start of the thread bemoaning the fact that this isn't a beginners model, it's dangerous etc etc etc.  Then compare that to the people that have actually gone to the trouble to build the kit.  They have done as the company suggested and joined clubs.  They seem to have bought trainers to learn whilst waiting for various issues (or engines) to arrive.  The people likely to build it and then nip out to the local park probably lost interest half way through.

This hobby definately appears to suffer from an aging demographic.  Certainly that is the perception.  This kind of publication can only be a good way to introduce more people to the hobby.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Iv`e built the De Ag Spit also it stands in all it`s glory in the garage now until i can find the time to get the training to fly it.

I have all the correspondence, build instructions e.t.c. if anyone wants copies i could scan them off & e-mail them.

Reading others comments i wish i had done the flaps mod as i had a spare servo before covering the wings, now complete they do not apear to have enough movement although being a novice i wouldn`t know, to alter it now would mean chopping it around.

The first engine i got seized during the first 15 minutes of low revs bench test (the model shop assured me that the fuel ratio was o.k. for running in) however it was replaced by De Ag without any hastle. Not sure i can trust it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi lee

You say you have items 1 to 35? Have yer given up on the spitfire project then? I need a new cowl and the two ailerons. I have,nt fitted an engine so I can,t help you wiv the spacer for the manifold I think you can buy them at your local hobby store? My spit was built but there are a lot of design faults! (A) There is a large gap under the fusalage and is supposed to be covered by a piece of triangled plastic what crap! and {B} The remote and servos and reciever that De;ag send you is cheap and not suitable neither is the engine. You will need a four stroke {50) Engine and not a tiny two stroke leo engine.     

Well Im off to yeovil fleet air museum on saturday 18th Oct to see a model spectacular event and Im hoping to pick up some spare parts for my de'ag spitfire and to pick up hints and tips too. And I will definitely see plety of models buit by professionals and flown too. So I hope to enjoy a good day, see you there! 

Hi Bill !

Yep yer right Bill it fits under the fusalage and you had to shape it in order to fit, Im damned if mine would fit and you had to stick the plastic to the covering of the wing too. Anyway guess wot! recently I inspected my spit only to fine the covering peeling off in all sections of the model. I joined a BMFA club in Bristol two years ago and picked up loads of tips as some of the members build warbirds. And so I am rebuilding my spit and made my own under the forward centre of the wing butt thingy!. from balsa wood.  Also I am considering painting the model instead of covering too. And it was recommended that a four stroke engine thouder tiger FS54 would be a good choice as the model will wiegh around 8lbs or 9lbs when finished. At the BMfa I have a thunder tiger N40TT trainer model (Top Wing) it was easy to build and flies well with an RMX 40 engine. 

Psst! has anyone got a spitty cowl to spare?

Psst again! Im still a novist at model flying and doing well but If anyone would like info on a tiger trainer N40TT then give me a Hoot!

Cheers everyone

I have one of these spits, bought it of lad in club with two spare fuz uncovered ,3 vertical stabilsers and 3 horizontal stabilser ,loads of spare bits, engine, servos the lot. one of the fuz's is covered but the wing is not, i got the lot for £100 said he lost interest. i have been pondering on the way forward with this model and if i should sell it on, or complete it as i know spitfires can be difficult to setup and fly well. interesting about the comments on mods made to model i was going to do them anyway as i dont like aileron setup like that i prefer 2 servo's and also bin the code 4 radio gear as i have all spektrum kit, the weight of the model seems high though i weighed mine tonight and i recon it will come out at around 7-8 lb when complete would that be about right.

Hi Bill

Thanks for info on website I will try it, Im curious to know? Had you encountered many problems when building your spitty? I was dissapointed when I recieved the code 4 remote and servos they,re cheap and nasty! So fortunately for me I did,nt bother to order the naff looking Leo Engine. My club members recommend a Tiger FS54 four stroke Engine. And so do I, And I have a copy of it from Al,s Hobbies website. Im saving for one to add onto the spitty next year.  Im still working on the rebuild of my spitty as there are flaws to correct. MAY I RECOMMEND TO ANYONE READING THIS! PLEASE JOIN THE BMFA MODEL FLYING CLUB OR A SIMULAR CLUB. you will have lots of fun meeting members and learn a lot about model flying, and pick up some neat tips on building a model too.  

Hi Wills,

Don`t think i encountered any more problems than one might expect but it`s a good idea to read well ahead on the build instructions and get well aquanted, also plenty of observation on any pictures as i found in some cases that the instructions were a little lacking in describing certain things.

Going to check out the Tiger FS54 though, good luck with the build & don`t be afraid to shout if theres anything i might be able to help with.

Cheers Bill

Thanks for the info! well Im off to a visit at the new Als hobbies store in Bristol. Also I am considering putting a servo on each of the spitty wings for the aileron movement and insert inside and cover each one with an air intake/ventilator under each wing and made from balsa and ajoined  to the ailerons. A neat Idea, I think! It,ll be a better Idea than making holes in the wings and then try to insert and cover the wings. I hope you know what I mean? The idea came from watching a model supermarine spitfire warbird fly at yeovil fleet museum and I came up with the Idea! I will need to purchase a Y lead too. I hope it all works well it.ll keep me occupied over xmas too. One last thing (although no thoughts on it yet!) I will possibly consider retracts too (Although rather early to decide yet) one step at a time eh?