Max Thrust Riot review

gary132

what you should do then is open a thread warning everyone not to buy the riot based on your view of your own experiance with it.

of course everyone has there own opinion from there own exeriance.

a newbie flyer would probably find this model very nice....whereas a pilot who has flown far superior models would find it a pussycat and a waste of time.

the opinion of the model does boil down to who buys it and what they are buying it for.

i admit it is not a riot in its nature. it is aerobatic and will all the tricks but like it is on rails.

it dosn't twist and trun like an itchy flea.....but then it was designed to fly well giving the novice the time to learn the fancy stuff.

how long would a novice last with a mental 3d model before having to put it in a black bag.

the whole point of the riot is it is a trainer come aerobatic model.....now if i go and buy a robin reliant because i was lead to believe it performs like a porche i too would be unhappy.....

so i research my model before i buy it....i read forums....i watch flight videos on you tube.....

if i just went and bought on name alone i would be a fool.....so if a new model came out tomorrow called the mental should i buy it and assume it will be barking mad to fly......

NO i go look at forums and watch videos.....then make my choice......stop buying because something has a pretty wrapper or a pretty name.......look at the item in the box....

Advert

I have just got my Riot having read various reports and hoping that it will be more of an "after dinner" aerobat rather than a Riot. From what I have read I am hopeful. However, I have been unable to program the ESC as no instructions are included with the kit! So I still havn`t flown it.

Does anyone have any instructions?

Also, there is a big lump of metal in the nose which I would like to remove in order to move the Cof G back and enable the use of larger batteries. Does anybody have any ideas as I would like to avoid damaging the front of the fuselage.

chris if you remove the prop and look into the cowling there is two screws one each side.

undo these and the cowling comes off and should give you access to the metal balance.

as for pragraming the esc. mine i fitted my receiver and bound it with throttle in closed position and it worked fine.

is your throttle working ? does the motor run ? IF no then i suspect you have a bad esc.

but if it all works and you just want to know how the esc programes i recomend contacting centuryuk and i am sure they will supply the info you need. hope that helps.

I have used 2650mah lipos with no need to remove the nose weight. If you go larger, you may need to modify the battery box, as it's a fairly tight fit even with the 2200mah. As Gary says, it should just work! Can't remember if there were any ESC instructions in mine.

I feel I've had a bit of a slap on the rist by Gary (!) but, yes, we all have different ideas as to what is good, bad or indifferent. I don't think I ever said the Riot is bad, just not as wild as you might be lead to believe. I would heartily recommend it as a follow on to a basic trainer, but I still feel it lacks power - and I'm not a hooligan! I get about 10 minutes with my 2650 Power-Tech lipos.

The latest RCME mag has a review of the Riot by none other than Mr D Ashby. It was a good review, I enjoyed reading it but I did spot something. On page 24, the picture of the Riot in the air on the top-left hand corner of the page is captioned 'there is no evidence of any wing flex' or something along those lines. But in the pic you can see the top of the wing on one side of the plane, and the bottom of the wing on the other, and since on the ground this plane has no dihedral the wing must be flexing! Has anyone else spotted it? Take a look now if you haven't.

Loved the magazine though!

CS

Very observant, Mr Speedbird! I have this model and there is no dihedral to speak of, so yes, slight flexing, I guess. I heard someone say that the wire coming from the small circuit board may work loose, so you might like to check it. No problems with mine though. If the wing does flex, I wouldn't worry too much, as I have put mine through some quite high stress stuff and it's still in one piece!

Sorry tony no upset or offence meant mate.

seeing new planes on the market is difficult.

i suffered the wrath of hangar 9's poor design with my tribute 4D the darn things snap in flight.

so i know where you coming from when a plane is described as an animal meaning my 4D plane snapping into 3 pieces while doing a standard move......certainly was not what it said on the box....

i like the riot and do agree it is named wrong giving a false impretion it's an animal...

it's not an animal but is capable of loads of stuff......

as i fly and have flown pretty much most things the riot to me is slow and sluggish compared.

but in it's own it's a good model.

at the moment i am wringing the hell out of my 4D tribute again after someone tried to kill it mid-air....it survived with a smashed wing and is back in the air even with a sticker of the model that took it down on the side with a red cross through it like a true aces plane lol ....

Gary.

Edited By gary132 on 11/06/2012 22:13:38

Gary, Yes the motor does run but the ESC is not programmed! I don`t even know if it can be programmed? If it can, I can not set it up without some instructions. I suppose one could say " if it works, leave it alone as you can only stop it working".

I wonder what the throttle cut off voltage is set to? It would be nice/essential to know or am I being too fussy?

Tony Thanks for the information

With the 2600 pack mine balances at 75mm. I would have preferred the CoG a little further back but it should be OK.
Perhaps I will try it and if I am not happy then I will attack/ carefully remove the nose weight.

I hate adding weight to models but I am very grateful that you let me know.

Once I have flown the model I will consder removal of the nose weight with increased enthusiasm.

Thank you once again

Hi Nigel, I increased my control throws bit-by-bit until I was on about mechanical maximum! Measured at the widest points, my elevators are about 30 cms each way, rudder is as far as it will go and ailerons are about an inch each way. I'm not a hooligan flyer by any means but was trying to wring out as much fun from this model as I could. With these high throws, it can be wild, but is still easy enough and wont bite. BUT - check your CofG. Mine is still as recommended in the instructions. Later I will try removing the nose weight and may add a little to the tail to see what happens!! Bear in mind also that I am using the heavier 2650 lipos. so I have more weight up front to calm it down.

This could be one of the Riot's strengths: it seems very forgiving even with high control throws. But try increasing gradually to be safe.   NOTE, I switch to low rates for landing - see, I can be sensible sometimes!!!  Have fun.

Edited By Tony Forrest on 15/06/2012 23:45:17

Thanks Tony... I presume that you elevators are 30 mms and not 30 cms!

I have a ThunderPower 2700 pack which is the same weight as most 2200 packs. A bit of a squezze into the battery box... Fingers crossed it won't spring the catches!

Anyway, thanks for the response.

Cheers

If anyone is thinking the is a riot to fly you will be disappointed, it is under powered. Although this is a good sports plane you'll have to work on the setup for 3D flying , motor and prop etc. I also think the ailerons should have come in a bit more along the length on the wing to help with prop hanging. The model is larger than wot 4 foam E and heavier. The tail flutters on full power and could do with a stiffener. If you are thinking of buying one, try to test fly one first, or if Century sell one as a kit only with out motor, servos etc you could put in your own setup. I still think the Wot 4 is hard too beat and may be the Riot mark 2 will be better. And don't forget the new foam Acro Wot, that looks like a good model.

If anyone has found a good alternative setup let us know.

It might need a 4s pack for extra punch.

Told you so!! I've already said this model is under-powered, but I think it's still the marketing that's partly to blame. Any model with such a name is going to conjour up a certain expectation, and although it does say suitable for beginners, it also gives reference to top aerobatic pilots being satisfied, and I feel this is misleading. There is actually nothing really wrong with it, but I keep finding myself wanting more grunt. It may well be OK with a bigger power set, but it isn't designed for it so probably best to tread carefully.

I haven't flown the foam Acro Wot but I suspect it is better powered as it is designed as an aerobatic model. The Riot is more of an intermediate plane. Perhaps it should have been named the Wot Not!! The poor Riot is getting a kicking by some; just don't expect fireworks.

Likely I test flew the Roit for someone else so haven't spent out on one. But as I've said before, do your homework first and make sure this model is right for you and your type of model. My rule is if a model is not on YouTube doing some amazing flying and you haven't seen it fly, wait and be patient, go to a show and read the forums. ....... And please if you are reading this, write a reply yourself, the more people who do the better. Good or bad, it helps the rest of us decide on what to buy.

Hi all

I've been reading about this plane with a lot of interest and having only recently started flying would see it as a good model for my ability. I am going off to the RC Hotel in September and would like to take my own model.The Riot interests me because it is not glued together and I could assemble it once out in Corfu and then take it to pieces again for the retun home. Take a spare servo, esc, motor, props and a tube of UHU por and I would be fairly well set for a couple of weeks flying? Could anyone tell me how big the overall box is as purchased and whether it would stand the rigours of being taken in the baggage hold....ie how well is it all packed up in the box.

Thanks in advance for any help on this

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to Mike and Tony but I have already thrown away the box. Have no worries about the lack of glue as the screw fixings are fine. I would take a quality replacement prop, prop adapter and spinner with you as the kit items are a little lacking. I have recently returned from RC Hotel and had a fantastic time. The Riot will be an excellent companion. When I was there only 1 foam Wot 4 remained with several pilots all wanting to fly it. Have a great holiday.