JRDSX9 failsafe

Pete Carpenter

Hello,

I've recently replaced my DX8 with a JR DSX9 because of the glider programming. Really pleased with it, but I have put the motor of my Radian Pro on the right hand side lever (throttle stick is for crow) and this doesn't activate the motor cut failsafe if the signal is lost. When I turn off the tx to test it, the motor keeps running at its last command.

Any ideas if I can get round this?

Thanks.

Advert

Hi Pete,

I was looking at the manual for my DSX9 and page 24 covers the Fail Safe settings. Have you tried setting AUX3 to a low throttle setting then going to the Fail Safe screen ans setting AUX3 to FS instead of HOLD? You would then meed to press the CLR button to set the position into memory.

Hope this helps.

Doug.

I wonder if it's more related to the type of receiver that you are using? Some of the lower channel Spektrum receivers only support failsafe on the throttle channel (presumably only taking their failsafe settings from the throttle stick on binding)

I have a DSX9 and really like it, if you set up flight modes I'm pretty sure that you can have both motor and crow on the throttle stick, would involve some switch flicking in flight.

Cheers

Gary

Edited By Gary Binnie on 29/05/2012 14:42:49

Hi Gary,

It's an AR7000 rx. ESC is in to AUX2 so maybe it only recognises failsafe at the throttle slot. I'm not too technically minded when it comes to these things...

I did read about having the motor and crow both on the stick in different flight modes, but took the easy option and used the side lever!
One thought that occured to me earlier is that perhaps it's something to do with the calibration of the ESC in terms of the range of the lever, as opposed to the stick range. Just a wild thought that I haven't had time to check out yet.

Cheers,
Pete

Right, I'm with you now!

The AR7000 instructions say it has 'Smartsafe' (throttle goes to idle) but some AR7000s support 'pre-set failsafe' (you tell it via the transmitter where you want all the controls to go in the event of signal loss).

It doesn't tell you in the instructions how to set the 'pre-set failsafe' but what you need to do is put the bind plug in the receiver, turn the power on then remove the bind plug (the Rx should continue to flash).

Then power up the transmitter with the bind button pressed and all the controls where you want them for failsafe (can be tricky!). Once it's bound turn the Tx off and see if the model responds.

This is slightly differnt to normal binding where you leave the receiver bind plug in until after the Tx has been bound.

My AR7000s work this way and I think the AR6200 does as well.

Give it a try.

GB

Fingers crossed!

I only have one AR7000, fairly sure it came with a new DX7 about three years ago, I read that about older ones not working but I tried it and it did work, guess I was lucky!

Doubt if you would be needing failsafe with the 7000 and a Radian Pro but it's worth setting it up if it can be done.

There is a small gadget called a 'Flight Log' from Spektrum (SPM9540) that shows antenna fades and holds (failsafe lockouts) and also doubles as a volt checker. I've had one real in-flight hold with a carbon glider and '2.4 friendly' Kevlar nose but it re-connected very quickly when the attitude changed (JR RD921 Rx) and I repositioned the Rx aerials. The glider was tail on to me and the Tx aerial was probably pointing straight at it.

Two other failures resulting in crashed models I am pretty sure were down to power loss to the Rx, one by using a cheapo ESC, Rx was flashing a 'brownout', under 3.5V, in the wreckage and the other one I believe the battery became disconnected in flight. Failsafe would not have helped me with either loss.

There's a lot of chat about Spektrum failures but I'm happy with it, happier than I was on 35 meg anyway! Also happy with those diddly Orange receivers, got loads and not had a problem yet.

Hope it works, cheers.

GB

The older AR7000's definitely only support the fail-safe mode which holds the servos at the last commanded position. As I understand it, there's a firmware upgrade available which makes the other, pre-set positions, mode available too. If it's an old AR7000 it might be worth checking that the "quick connect" feature is available too (i.e. where the Rx re-connects very quickly in the event of a "brown-out" on the signal).

Well, interesting developments, and success....

Horizon support told me to bind with the throttle stick fully down, regardless of whether or not the motor is on the right hand lever. I hadn't been doing this (duh) because I just assumed that the throttle stick was for crow and nothing else.
Well I tried that approach, and it didn't work.

I then took Gary's advice and tried re-binding with pre-set failsafes: motor lever fully down, as before, throttle stick to just over halfway to give me some crow, and a bit of rudder. And that worked!
So now I not only have the motor failsafe that I was after in the first place, I also have crow and rudder activate when the signal goes. Happy chappy!

"Go figure" as they say.... I have no idea why the normal failsafe didn't work, and the fancy one did!

Cheers.

Pete

• 4 years later...

Top Job,

I have been setting up a Mr RC World Zenoah kill switch,,,and could not get the loss of radio signal failsafe to work on the Kill switch,

I tried various recivers and got different results ,,

Then I discovered this Forum Topic.

It was spot on, I rebound as per Garys advice and the kill switch now failsafes to engine Kill.

Bert