Mini Panic maiden

Phil May

I'm off work tomorrow day time and the weather looks good .........hot

So,  down the club for the thrashing it deserves.........cheeky

I'll take the fob-photo and try and get some decent video, both self filming and model mounted.

Fingers crossed for some serious fun........oh, I may take my beloved Stik as well.......smiley

Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 26/06/2012 17:24:38

Great stuff Phil....looks like you are getting to grips with it......thumbs up

Can I ask what servos you used? My MP is just about to get started & I'm thinking about which servos to fit......I'm leaning towards these but wonder if they will be meaty enough to operate a pair of ailerons.....

Also any thoughts on colour schemes?? I need to decide before starting so I can cover the inner surface of the central cabines....no room once its finished...sad....I was leaning towards red fuz & yellow wings using transparent film.....but I might go for a light blue fuz & silver wings.....or maybe a black fuz & silver wings.......obviously a MP needs to be bright coloured but I don't want my eyes to bleed every time I look at it....smile d

I'm a bit rubbish at picking good colour schemes.......dont know

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 03/07/2012 10:16:34:

Can I ask what servos you used? My MP is just about to get started & I'm thinking about which servos to fit......I'm leaning towards these but wonder if they will be meaty enough to operate a pair of ailerons.....

Also any thoughts on colour schemes?? I need to decide before starting so I can cover the inner surface of the central cabines....no room once its finished...sad....I was leaning towards red fuz & yellow wings using transparent film.....but I might go for a light blue fuz & silver wings.....or maybe a black fuz & silver wings.......obviously a MP needs to be bright coloured but I don't want my eyes to bleed every time I look at it....smile d

I'm a bit rubbish at picking good colour schemes.......dont know

MG90 should be fine Steve.

What do you mean 'make your eyes bleed'?

MiniPanic E

That's the same servos I'm using Steve and they appear to cope with 2 ailerons fine.

Colour wise I'm struggling a bit with the wings, orientation wise, maybe it's because at the moment I'm keeping her a little high until I'm totally comfortable with it.

I have a slight issue with it that I wish to sort out, it tends to drag it's rear end around when turning, so I was thinking of trying to couple a little up elevator in with aileron????

have you decided on the motor/esc set up?

Mine should be approx 300watt.............yet to check embarrassed......... and it climbs well.

Phil

I have a slight issue with it that I wish to sort out, it tends to drag it's rear end around when turning, so I was thinking of trying to couple a little up elevator in with aileron????

...or some co-ordinated rudder? I did notice you weren't using any! You can mix some in but it's much better practice to do it manually.

Adding elevator won't help you at all, I'm afraid.

Edited By Martin Harris on 03/07/2012 11:56:47

OK Thanks Phil....good to know....thumbs up

Where is your CoG? Might a more forward CoG help....or maybe try a bit of aileron differential.....bipes often suffer from adverse yaw which seems to make them drag the tail a bit......other than that perhaps a bit of aileron to rudder mixing to lift the tail a bit through the turns.....

Yes I have decided on a motor......its going to be an ASP32 on a 10x5....teeth 2....I reckon thats good for about 500 watts.....thumbs up

Should be fun........teeth 2

Differential is also well worth considering as per Steve's suggestion. You need to reduce the downgoing aileron's movement compared to the upgoing one. The reason why the tail hangs is due to the downgoing aileron's wing producing more lift, hence more induced drag which slows down that wing, swinging the nose towards it. What you see is the tail going the opposite way and as the model is banked, the effect you see is the tail dropping.

HTH.

Edited By Martin Harris on 03/07/2012 12:07:00

Thank you guys.

I don't do much powered flight now, I fly more slope and most of my slopers are yank and bank so I've got lazy with the rudder.....crook

I'll also try adding a little differential, what sort of difference is the norm' between up and down? or is it trial and error.

500 w Steve, are you sure it's enough.......wink

Phil

Pretty much trial & error Phil as far as I know.....remember that the MP has 2 ailerons each side 'cos its a bipe so a fair bit of drag....you could "do a Bob" though & just live with it.....

The motor side of things is interesting.....the ASP is rated at 860 watts at 17,000 rpm......it would need a stupidly small prop to reach 17,000 rpm however so I guessed that it will turn a 10x5 at around the 10-11000 rpm mark. What power does the engine produce at 10-11k.....? Dunno but less that it does at 17,000 rpm....

But even at a guessed 500watts will it "feel" nearly twice as powerful as your 300watt set up.....I kind of doubt it...

On the other hand I might be completely wrong & end up with a rocketship......smile p....

I will let you know....wink 2

The MP has a thick section wing which means lots of drag, I suspect that the extra power will only be really noticable when going straight up. If I'm wrong you may want to consider bolting the end plates/struts on instead of relying on press studs. I've lost mine a few times, though it didn't make a huge difference to how it flew, the top wing just had a tendency to follow a few degrees behind in fast rollsface 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well my Mini Panic has hit the bench & I'm a bit worried......it looks a very small plane for an ASP32...smile o

But then I understand that folks fit 90s into the standard version so am I worrying un-necessarily do you think? Seems to me a thick wing & a draggy airframe plus a shallow pitch large diameter prop should be OK......

I'm gonna beef up the front end a touch too with some 1/32 ply doublers & a 6mm (instead of 3mm) ply firewall.....I hear they are often tail heavy after all..

To be honest Steve, my heart is on the slope now.

I bought the Panic to try and get me back into powered flight.

I thought a crazy model like the Panic would entice me back to flat field flying........but it has failed. sad

I spend the morning with it down the field today and ironed out the couple of issues I had with it, but powered flight is just not floating my boat anymore........

Don't get me wrong, the MP is a cracking little model and is a bag of fun......

I don't know why .......

Phil

Something dropped off mine this afternoon - took about 2 seconds to realize it was the motor! It don't like gliding, I'll tell you that much, especially when it's a smidgeon tail heavy. Full down got it back in the field in a series of stalls. Looks like the screws holding the motor to the cruciform mount came loose despite the locktite.

Oh well new motor ordered from GS. Should be back in business in a few days.