2013 Mass Build - general chat thread

Advert

Posted by Tim @ ModelMarkings.com on 29/10/2012 12:48:47:

You will struggle with retracts, the plate wing is only 3/8 thick!! and has been said a front retract would interfere with battery location

Having now read the build article, you may be right Tim. Will look forward to seeing if anyone else manages it though, there's some creative types on this 'ere forum!

Good luck with the move Olly, going through the same myself so can sympathise!

Posted by Tim @ ModelMarkings.com on 29/10/2012 12:48:47:

You will struggle with retracts, the plate wing is only 3/8 thick!! and has been said a front retract would interfere with battery location

Re the wing - yes that's why Rentman and I are talking about replacing it with a thicker fully built-up wing. But the nose wheel is a different proposition - just have to see what scope the plan offers for that. The nose wheel on the original is very far forward and the leg is comparatively short - there might be opportunities there.

BEB

BEB,

Interesting, a quick look at the plans and overlaying one of those HK Electric retract units suggests it might work, there is enogh space under the motor for the retract unit, you need to modify the F1 bulkhead arrangment, and there may stil be enough space to fit the battery over the top or at one side to the wheel in its retracted position.

I await this development with interest

Tim

Yes Tim,looking at an exert of the plan around the nose it might be possible - hell of a squeeze though! Job for some cardboard cut-out batteries and motors me thinks!

Robin, that colour scheme is absolutely gorgous - but beyond my covering skills I suspect sad Anyone voluntering to cover a Tucano? wink 2

BEB

BEB,

Early days but have in development decal kits for the various RAF Display schemes, one thought is to offer pre cut striping and film covering kits in the requisite colours as well, this  may be an attractive option to those new builders

Edited By Tim @ ModelMarkings.com on 29/10/2012 16:17:15

You don't know how much I'd like to take part, even if the plane chosen is not exactly my cup of tea. I could imagine myself fitting a nice two-stroke, undercarriage, maybe even retracts.

But sadly I just can't, I do not have the time and I need to get the Domino done and some others in our air force. And I can't make it to Greenacres, and there is no space for the Tucano in my fleet since the Funfly occupies that role perfectly, but I will follow other people's builds, please some people do some IC conversions!

I got some pics of the Tucano display at Duxford, I'll get them up. Nice plane, but not loud enough! Bet the full size fly brilliantly, as does this model I am sure. At Greenacres some people should do some formation flying!

CS

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 29/10/2012 18:40:18:

Thanks for the magazine buid article David, I only suscribed in the last 12 months so missed out on that.

One question though... why not just post a single PDF rather than 9 individual pages? It would be easier to download.

Could it be that one PDF would be a huge file to download? Not so great for people on a slower connection.

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 29/10/2012 18:54:15:

You "could" have a go at making your own smoke cartridge.... although it involves "cooking" some chemicals and could be a bit dangerous devil

Sorry there is an advert at the start but you can skip it.

Some how I think I'll skip putting one of them in an airframe lol there just might be a tad more than just the smoke from the bomb crook

Phil

Hi Robin,

The smokes hardly cleared from the starting gun, so I think it might be a day or two before anyone is ready to cover and decal!!, so any schemes will be plenty ready in plenty of time!! All the regular national markings are stock in trade, roundels, flashes, serials and squadron markings etc together with the Tucano warning and fuel nomenclature marks. I already have the 2010, 2011 and 2012 display schemes ready to go and am working on a prototype set of pre cut striping for the 2011 and 2012 schemes.

I can cut vinyl from most vector graphic files formats

Tim

Posted by Robin Kearney on 29/10/2012 16:13:39:

BEB, I forgot to ask, is there a chance of a wood pack if we get enough people signing up?

And how long do you plan to wait for get everybody signed up? Presumably it would be good to include it in the mag to give the non regularly forumites a chance.

r.

Yes, we are looking into a woodpack etc at the moment.

We need to leave the thread up for long enough to give everyone who wants to a chance to join. Some folks only call in once a week or so. No rush at the moment because, as I say, we haven't organised woodpacks, canopies, plans etc. yet (to be fair it is less than 48 hours since it was selected and as Tim said the smoke from the starting gun hasn't cleared yet!) wink 2

I would hope that we could get all of our ducks in a row by middle of this month or so. Then the woodpacks have to be made up, plans printed, canopies moulded etc. So folks should be able to order plans, wood and so forth probably in December or there abouts. Maybe 1st Jan 2013 is a good official start date? Get's Christmas etc out of the way - we can all ask for Tucano Wood packs for Chrissie presents!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/10/2012 20:44:51

Selling my barely used whizza as per RCME advert. Minor damage to tail repaired (a clean break) and totally airworthy. comes with everything other than a reciever. £65. no offers.

Would be worth buying for the electronics alone as you will save a fortune !

advert here

(Oxfordshire)

guess the gear could go in a  350w tucano

Edited By twinstar on 29/10/2012 21:25:01