'A' Certificate test

Advert

Oh yes! I don't speak from personal experience smile but I have known several people who have failed. The test isn't hard, but certainly the examiners in our club take it seriously and a pass is by no means gaurenteed!

Generally speaking failures are minimised because any sensible person wouldn't go in for the test until their instructor thinks they are ready and likely to pass.

But of course nerves or a bit of bad luck on the day can play a part. And inevitably there are always those who insist on going in for it despite the fact that they have been told they are not ready for it yet by more than one instructor. The first type usually get through on the second attempt they are allowed on the day, the latter usually don't in my experience!

BEB

I will help a candidate to get through the A cert, short of doing it for him/her,

reaching over the prop, not pre flighting the model, all get subtle reminders that make him/her think for themselves, i WILL fail a candidate, but they would have to be truly absimall, i doubt it would be their flying, or field etiquet concerning the models prep work, but i can see them fail on the questions,

now, the B cert, thats another thing, all they get there is are you ready?

Yep, I know a couple of folks who have failed an "A" test over the past decade. If a flyer isn't really ready to take the test, or hasn't read their handbook, or suffer from terrible nerves, or cannot position the model accurately enough, there is certainly the possibility of failing.

Yep failed mine on my first go. Did everything right on the day, passed the flying stage, answered the questions. why did I fail I forgot to shout out landing. and to be honest he was correct.

Passed on the same day on my second test.

Edited By MikeS on 02/06/2012 21:45:57

Edited By MikeS on 02/06/2012 21:46:23

Posted by Alan Cantwell on 02/06/2012 19:49:32:

I will help a candidate to get through the A cert, short of doing it for him/her,

I agree. I will certainly coach a candidate up to a point. Most of it involves gentle nudging in the right direction. But at the end of the day they can either do it, or not.

I would never take a potential candidate if I didn't think they were ready for the test - they would just be wasting my time as well as theirs.

Far better to have a confident and capable candidate, than one who thinks 'might as well give it a go and see what happens'.

It would be interesting to see what the 1st time pass rate is for the 'A'.

So far I've avoided taking it because I confuse my CAP259 with my blah blah blah. I've tried "revising" the rules but keep on forgetting them. Pretty sure I would pass the flying bit, just worried about the verbal exam bit.

more than once, i have taken a nervous candidate for a dummy test, only to say congrats, youve passed, the nervous tend to show there nerves in forgetting things, going right instead of left, seen allsorts, do it this sneaky way, and its not only legit, it takes the edge off the nerves bit, cunning eh?

BUT, no way i would do this with the B, this is, quite wrongly, known as the show cert, with this is in mind, its 110%correct, or its failed

Ben, you don't need to know all the CAP stuff. In reality there are only two rules you need know from the air navigation order, each is about 25 words long! The first one basically say you shouldn't endanager any person or property with an aircraft (model). The second more or less says you mustn't endanger any aircraft by what you do. I'm sure you could conquer that! smile

BEB wink 2

As BEB says, I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to trot out the ANOs verbatim, along with the correct numbers. I have difficulty remembering them myself! The main thing is to show an understanding of what is required, not a parrot like rendition of it. This applies to most of the questions asked on a test.