Where do you buy your Balsa?

well the heading says it all where do you buy your Balsa? do you get a good deal? do you get good delivery times? Is there a shortage of Balsa and has ARTF killed the stocks that suppliers keep, I have had a lot of trouble trying to get Balsa. If like me you live in a remote location how do you get the wood for your next model.

Advert

Hi all

thank you for your input I have now placed my order with a model shop in Norwich they were very helpful  I had ordered my wood from another supplier but after two weeks I still had no wood or contact regarding non delivery Evan though they advertise as next day delivery.  But I will give the Balsa cabin a ring for my next order I used them regularly back in 1970/80 did not know that they were still trading. well have a good Xmas and happy building.

regards Cpt Biggles 

Hi Bruce,

have a look after new year as they have just overhauled their website to make it easier to use and although they will still stock most sizes they havnt got it back onto the website yet, if you email them they may be able to send you a list of sizes and prices,

merry chrimbo and happy new year,              Terry

I always stock up at shows, normally Balsa Cabin if they are there, but SLEC seem to be reappearing on the scene again. This gives you the ability to select your wood, but mail order is normally a good option, especially if you stock up, saving on postage & most suppliers will select for you. I now have a selection to rival any shop I have been to & at a fraction of the cost.

One thing I would definitely recommend is getting a SLEC balsa stripper-this way you only need to buy sheet wood of a few sizes & you can produce matched strip of any size for a small fraction of the cost-it will pay for itself the first time you use it particularly if you build models that use a lot of strip.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If anyone reading this is from Northern Ireland, and knows of a reliable supplier of balsa and other modelling materials in the Londonderry area, I would be eternally grateful for the information!

The only "Model" shop I have found so far has a few odd bits of balsa and that's it!

Postal ordering is also difficult from here, most suppliers seem to think I am an international customer, and charge carriage accordingly (Post is the same cost to here as anywhere else in the UK!)

You folks with a choice of local model shops don't know how well off you are!

• 4 months later...

Horror of Horrors

Having returned to modelling two years ago, after more than 15 years away, I had a suprisingly large stock of balsa.

However after the two years of building and converting models, now 7 flying, I had a terrible shock when i realised i had no more 1/16 balsa, to finish my latest conversion of a flying wing glider/motor glider  to electric.

I read this thread, I had used the "Balsa cabin" in the past and was pleased, Balsa Mart seemed expensive when compared to the "BC". Cheapestbalsa seemed a good price, but I had to purchase to much. I just could not get the SLEC site to work, so could not see.

However I remembered that i had used "Inwoods" in the dim and distant past and had found them very good. So I looked at their site, yes they still did bulk balsa purchases and their prices do seem keen. So I have placed an order with them,. I will report my impressions about service and quality.

It was a close run thing with the "BC" though!

Strange when I restarted 6 model memries on a transmitter seemed more than any one could ask for, as when I left there were no memories. Strange how perceptions change!

Erfolg 

Hi Erfolg,

nice to hear from you it was a nice surprise to see this old thread active again.

it is an interesting situation that so many "old modelers" are returning to this wonderful hobby.

all I can say about buying Balsa is that there is now less stock carried by shops as a result of ARTF and less building shop cannot carry large amounts of stock that moves slowly.

please let us know how you get on.

regards

Peter