Backburn Beverley

Spice Cat

Advert

Thanks for a real memory-jerker, SC. I well-remember often seeing this particular aircraft trundling around the Farnborough and Aldershot skies in the 60's when it was an RAE test-bed.

I even had a chance, as an Air Scout, to crawl over it when the RAE had an Open Day around 1967 and our Scout Leader, who worked at RAE, managed to get the Troop in for a visit.

Never occurred to us at the time that all these beautiful aircraft would inevitably disappear from the skies........

I'm very pleased to learn it was saved and if I'm ever in the Beverley area I'll be sure to look it up!thumbs up

Pete

Hi All

This aircraft was almost lost again when the Army Museum at Beverley had to close due to it's own roof becoming unsafe and no funds to repair it. The aircraft was eventually bought in 2005 by Fort Paull Museum on the outskirts of Hull where I understand it is again on display. The next time I get back to the town of my birth I must visit this piece of history. I've not seen one in the flesh so to speak since leaving the then Hawker Siddeley Aviation at Brough in the late 60s When you stand underneath one of these aeroplanes you would not believe it could get off the ground empty far less that it could take eight doulble deck busses inside and still have room for troops in the rear boom. Awesome!!!!

Alwyn

Edited By Alwyn Gee on 09/06/2012 22:01:11

Chris Golds did a plan that was published by Traplet many years ago. From memory it was around 72 inches and used 4 speed 400 motors. I've probably got the article if it is of interest.

The other plan that I am aware of is by Ivan Pettigrew (see **LINK**). It is 125 inch wing span and uses 4 speed 600 geared motors. There are a number of youtube videos which show it flying well.

Ken.