First time build

torbjornp

Hello everyone!

I've been flying around for about 4 years now. Think i'm beginning to get a grip on it. I have a Cessna 177 Cardinal with floats, engine ASP .91 fourstroke, a great plane! Now I think it is time to do my first build, does anyone have a suggestion for nice model to start with?

Best regards from Torbjørn, Norway

Advert

Personally I'd start with a kit - sort of half way between ARTF and plan built.

Which one is the difficult bit and choosing is half the fun. If you want a fairly gentle inroduction that's not difficult to build, completes in reasonable time, but flies great you could do a lot worse than a traditional Acro-Wot kit from Chris Foss (not the soon to be released ARTF one - the original one)

I'm sure there are lots of alternatives! How about it folks?

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/06/2012 20:15:29

After flying my SLEC Funfly 3 times today and absolutely loving it, then I'd suggest the SLEC Funfly. Built up wing, very light, 30-40 2-stroke engine. Flies very smoothly and will do lots of aerobatics, it s also easy to fly (not lke a basic trainer, but still very easy). Take a look at the SLEC webste. Other planes I'd suggest, Wot 4 (the kit one) or an Acro Wot.

CS

Hi

For my first build I built my first low wing model it was a Sig Four Star 60 really easy to build with fantastic instructions and plenty of photos.

This is how mine turned out I still have not maidened it yet!

There is some build photos in my album.

The other model I considered was a Mick Reeves Gangster.

Dean

A Cessna with floats and living in Norway. Maybe your flying field is one of the "wetter" ones. I am not familiar with what kits are available to you, but I'm not sure sticking floats on a low wing aerobat is likely to work ( I also have very little flying experience ). However I do have a reasonable collection of plans stored digitally, including some float planes. If you want to have a go at building from plans I will be quite happy to email some to you.

• 4 months later...

Then I've made my choice! A Chris Foss Acro Wot kit is on its way to Norwaysmiley! Thanks for the tip, BEB!! It really looks like a great plane! Any suggestions/recommodations for engine? I have an ASP 91 fourstroke, is that to big? It must be a fourstroke....

Torbjørn

• 2 years later...

Finally I've got my first build finishedlaugh Acro Wot kit build. Happy Pilot waiting in the office for take off. Saito 65GK in front, needed 45 g (1,5 oz) of led at the rear to balance at 83 mm from leading edge. Total weight 2,7 kg (95 oz.)

Just waiting for the summer weather here at the we(s)t coast of Norway to improve for maiden flightcrook

img_0034 (1) (800x600).jpg

img_0035 (800x600).jpg

img_0036 (800x600).jpg

img_0038 (800x600).jpg