Tiger Shark by David Vaughan

Richard Harris

Many of you may well remember David Vaughan with his scale models from the 70's-80's. I am lucky enough that he is an avid member of my flying club.

Last Sunday he came up with his 'Sunday Flier' a scaled up CL model converted to RC.

For me this is not your average Sunday hack but one of the finest finished models I have ever seen.

Beiing a former art teacher at a local high school you can see his artistic flair throughout this model.

I just had to share this with you as I feel people should see his work, the photos really don't give it justice.

Whilst he was flying I managed to capture some footage, David stated that he had never had any video footage taken of his models flying.

So he has promised to bring another of his models so I can film him flying. I think the next model he he will bring is his Airspeed Courier, this is a stunning model, he makes every scale detail from scratch.

A few photos of his Tiger Shark, note the pilot? This is his second 'Shark' hence the pilots name 'Tiger Lastone'.

Rich

• 1 month later...

I am glad that someone has captured David Vaughan on Video at last, i met him on Sunday whilst walking around the LMA show at Cosford, i recognised him emmediately and approached him for the first time since 1972 when i used to go and watch him fly his Wirraway and Mustang.

I used to finish my tea and then race down to Cosford runway on my bike , as this is where David used to come and fly during the odd evening before the security stuff took hold of cosford and became unpassible to all that were not MOD or RAF.

As i was a keen 12 year old and enthused with Aircraft in general, David used to explain how he applied all that detail to his models and this was enough to light my touch paper in the Hobby so to speak.

I have not seen David since 1972, and so reminding him of that little boy who pestered him whilst he was trying to prepare his model for flight was enough to get that little bit of history of mine kicked back into life.

I am glad i have had a proper chat this time........

• 2 months later...

Very nice video Richard, great to see David is still flying and building to a standard that i can only dream of.I knew David back in the 60s and i remember him test flying my Veron Mini Concord with an ME heron on the front,i think it didn't get above 20 feet up but David managed to get round in a huge circle and land it safely,those where the days! so,send him all the best from the fat kid who worked at the model Mart..

p.s. Blimey Woodward Grovenors sports ground has changed!

• 2 weeks later...

Next time I see him I will pass on your comment to him. The ground has been bought by Stourbridge College so the future is uncertian at the moment.

Not wanting to start another thread I thought I would tag on to this one. Another of Davids 'hacks', this one is his own design based on an Ultralight called the 'Breezer'. Full Size web page here

It is a cracking model and really well finished even down to a scale map , rivets and a cadbury's chocolate bar in the side pocket...of course all made from rubbish!

Here are a few photos and a video I took last weekend which was put on to dvd for him.

img_1013.jpg

img_1014.jpg

img_1016.jpg

img_1018.jpg

img_1019.jpg

img_1023.jpg

img_1008.jpg

img_1009.jpg

img_1011.jpg

img_1012.jpg

img_1024.jpg

Rich