Depron Spitfire

Advert

Glenn

Looks superb.

I appreciate you are building light but those spars look ever so skinny. What wood are they?

Given that Depron is relatively flexible my concern would be that the hard wood spar will thus provide virtually all the bending stiffness and will break well before the skin itself contributed very much..

Maybe I worry unnecessarily!

By the time the top skin is glued on, all those 'box' sections will help give it rigidity, i'd have thought... ??

Glenn, do you use any wood around the hinge or horn points.. ??

If i've made a horn, i don't, as I cut it into the foam, but if it's a bought plastic one, I plate the inside, for the screws..

I'm about to put the aileron hinges into my Cub build.. 3 large Robart pin hinges, inserted (glued later) into short CF tubes, that are epoxied straight into the foam.. It's worked on my Bipe, in a smaller scale, but i'd be interested to hear how you go about it on a larger model.. ??

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Hi Simon, the spars are ramin. 20mm x 6mm front and 12mm x 6mm rear . They should be plenty strong enough for the job and the space above will be filled in with 6mm depron. I will also add some intermediate ribs to give more support for the skins .

Chrisie, I usually add extra layers of 6mm depron in the hinge areas and bore a hole with a tube to take robart hinges. Rudder and elevators will be done this way although I am looking at a slightly different design with the ailerons. I will decide once I have the top skins on.

Glenn

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Glenn (or should I say Lord Depron!)

The Vulcan is superb, a beautiful model. The Spit is looking fabulous as well, you are very talented with this material. I'm a balsa guy, I like Balsa a lot.

In the future I plan to build a scale Concorde, around 1/35 scale (about 70" long) and I am planning for EDF's and retracts (and droopy nose if I can), and made out of Balsa.

This will be very challenging, I'll probably make smaller ones first. This is probably the main problem, the wing. I have a plan on how to do this with wood, so I think I can do it, and it has been done before so it is possible.

Can I make it out of Depron AND Balsa, a depron fuselage maybe, with a wooden wing and centre section under the fuselage?

Could Depron be used to make the wing? The curves, the thin thin wing, I have no knowledge of Depron so would it be possible?

And also, can you put retracts in Depron?

Sorry for the many questions!

CS

Hi CS , somebody was encouraging me to build a concord at the end of the vulcan build but I had a few more planes higher up my to do list. I believe a concord would be fairly easy to build in depron due in part to the large sheet size and ease of bending. I may still have a go at one but it would probably be quite big, like at least 100" long. I will have to play around with some dimensions.

as for retracts in depron all that is required is a little ply reinforcing in strategic places and it would work like any other model. I was toying with the idea of using retracts on the spitfire but my flying field is not suitable for wheels so I decided against it.

Many people mix depron and balsa in their models but I dont generally bother as I think depron is just as good on its own. Just my opinion of course and many people would probably disagree but depron models certainly work out cheaper to build and as I enjoy building as much as flying it allows me to carry on building more large models.I just have to find a better balance with work to allow me more time.

Glenn

Hi Stu, there is a link to the depron supplier I last used on page two and a lttle further down the page somebody suggested another. I think the only difference between white and grey depron is the price.I think the grey is cheaper because that is its natural colour but I mght be wrong on that.

Glenn

CS

If I may chip in.

By volume Depron is lighter than even the lightest balsa but it is rather more flexible. It is also much cheaper!

This means that even if you use thicker Depron to give a similar strength to balsa it will flex more for a given load.

Obviously in areas where the required shape gives a good cross section (eg a fuselage) Depron by itself works well and likely be significantly lighter, however is areas of high stress (a wing or undercarriage mounting) Depron needs help. In a Concorde wing it would need quite alot of help!

The trick, as Glenn does so well, is to identify where the stresses are likely to exceed Depron's capabilities and add the approriate stiffening. With carefully design the amount of stiffening required can be quite modest.

My 36" span EDF Skyray uses only a tiny amount of structural balsa in just the outer wing panel spars (It has a scale 6% t/c ratio), all the rest is made up from 3mm Depron sheet. Strong and light it flies beautifully.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 15/08/2012 20:18:41

Thanks for the info. Depron could be used for the tail and rudder, not much load (unless there is a dodgy landing!), Depron for the engine nacelles because they don't take any stress, and maybe a depron nose (the droopy bit). All the undercarriage doors could also be Depron, and any other little bits.

But the wings would have to be wood, and most of the fuselage over the wing and for the nose wheel.

With the bits mentioned in Depron, that would save quite a bit of weight, so I will use it if I can. This project is still at least 3-5 years away yet, I'm only on my second build! I like to plan ahead...

I'd like to see a Depron Concorde Glenn, it would be tricky but you could do it, and it would be great!

Bit off topic here, the Spitty is great, keep it up!

CS

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Glen Your Spitfire is looking wonderful and I've never seen a wing built like that before. More info for the auld vault. I built Brian Taylors mustang from depron and followed his plan close enough. I've been forced to make a few changes due to unexpected arivals. I've taken carbon fibre square rods and un them from the fire wall to roughly where the box formers start. This will add the strength that depron just doesn't have.

Will keep an eye out for the maiden of you Spit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...