testors mcCoy 049

Aaron Stevens

won one for £7 on ebay, was missing the needle so i made one up until i can find a new one and decide to look in the engine as it was very stiff to find a castor gunk plug in the cylinder and the head was caked aswell, couldnt even see the element soaked it over night in some glow and wiped clean, cut a prop down to fit, and gave it a few flick and it starts am in love want more of these lil beauties now

Advert

i love the little thing, and want to convert the head to take a glow but been told there are sites that sell them :/, but they are like £12, and i love the noise and i go to a public park and go right to the back and no one can hear me...

i cut down a 9x6 prop to about 4 inches just so i could start it, but what size dose this lil diamond take?? or should i just get a cox 5x3??

well done aaron...be carefull how you go at the 'public park' ....as you may find that some may find your engine(unsilenced/or silenced) as very offensive and you might find that the council will be obliged to step in and bar any model aircraft from been used there...is it worth it for £7.00? ... i love the noise also.....but other's? .....

ken anderson ne..1 ...... noise dept....

Hi Aaron,

Yes a 6x4 is what i use and they are still available from Steve Webb i bought two last mouth although they had to order them in for me .

Testor .049

I converted the head and made my own hub and prop nut .

Testor .049

I also found that i needed a small piece of tubing over the needle to stop it moving while in flight .

Testor .049

Pictures just so those known what we are talking about .thumbs up

ok my needle is made from piano wire atm, in a section is small dia fuel tube with some lock wire to hold it in place, and yeah the council around here are useless, and i am about 1km from the paths and houses, there are trees all around the park that are 60-70ft and then there are trees behind the houses, so the noise is not heard i make sure i got the wife to walk up to meet me and she couldnt here my enya 19-v running, and that thing is loud!

and thanks for the prop size i will order a good amount of them as i will be getting more ,049's

i have the spring starter on mine that works now, friends dad used to make wind-up toys so got him to check it out and make sure it wouldnt break, and am going to buy a head as i will mess it up making one :/