Little black servos

Having had a couple of incidents involving the aileron servos in my ST models ASW28 I'd put it down to bad luck until a clubmate lost a lovely HK Vampire to a failed servo.

In all cases they were unbranded black mini servos (@ 9g) which failed.

Just wondering if this is a common problem or if we've just been unlucky...

Advert

Hello martin .

I have had ARFs with good and bad servos , luck of the draw .. always check they are glued in or fixed in place , and the servo horns have screws in them . then check the connections ,electrical and control horns .. Never take arfs for granted..

In general the servos have been cheap ,but ok .. I would say fly with caution with any cheap servo.

Hi Martin,

I have a ST DG100 powered glider that is reluctant to roll to port question.

It rolls fine to starboard, very slow when rolling to port if at all .

servos seem to work fine on the ground,could be a bad lead to the wing servo, manifesting itself in flight when the wing is flexing.

ST models seem to have mixed reputation on other forums when it comes to the reliability of the radio installations.

Martin.

We have two ASW 28 s at the field that have been in service for quite a while , the servos used have also been spotted in other models but no hint of trouble from any over the past 2-3 years .

Personally I prefer to fit my own power chains and all components associated with control surfaces as many ARTF'S with servos fitted often seem to have a lot of friction in the servo to control surface coupling, and hinges ,resulting in a significant permanent load on the servos . The aileron control system on the ASW 28 does seem to fall into to this category which may be a contributory factor when unexpected servo failure occurs.

This model is not bad value for money to say it only needs a lipo and RX but as with most mid priced models the ready fitted components are often below the standard you and me would select for the job.

As for the much maligned ARTF I recently bought a 72" span J3 Cub from HK for £108 inc postage ,and did the maiden today , I find the the model robust and a joy to fly but I bet the price would be nearly double if it came ready fitted with power chain and servos wink 2 sorry if off thread but a little extra time and expense can transform models like the ASW 28. By the way have you noticed how the the model benefits from coordinated use of the rudder and or setting up aileron differential ?

Tom.

I too have experienced 'straight out of the box' servo failure on ST Models little black servos, since then I replaced them with some 'New Power' metal geared ones.

Also had experience of Parkzone servo failure, also straight out of the box (Parkzone Spitfire Mk IX), my LMS sorted it quickly though.

After this I purchased a servo tester to 'exercise' my new servo's.