Flying from Clee hill

Advert

Went soaring up there with a mate of mine back in the 60s and we went up on the left of the Radar station at the top of Titterstone, it was ok but very rocky.I believe there are some guys who still soar up there so i will ask another mate of mine when i see him,as he did tell me he had been there recently,so i will report back!

Hello Andy

I live in Knighton and I am a member of Long Mynd. The flying in a westerly breeze is supreme. However I was looking at other possibilities for winds from the east. Easterly winds at Long Mynd mean a long walk! This has been brought home to me over the last few weeks because of the amount of easterly winds we have had recently.

I wondered if Clee hill was an option in an easterly. Maybe you know of alternatives in the area?

Thank you for your response

John A

Hello John,well i have just spoken to that mate of mine and he echoes what Andy has said about the clee hill,recons that Titterstone is probably best,can not help much more i am afraid, as soaring is not something i have much experience in,but thinking about it ,hmmm..... could be fun!!

• 1 month later...

Flying off Titterstone Clee is a bit hit and miss. Easterlies aren't great, Westerlies are good but if the wind is coming from the west I'd rather be on the Mynd. I've flown off the top at the trig point in a north-westerly and it's been almost Ormesome cheeky. Foam only up there though - too many rocks.

There's a lower ridge facing south/south west down by in the quarry that's fun with a Weasel or similar, but overall this hill is bitty at best - not a true sloper's slope. I live two minutes away so I often grab a session up there if I've not much time.