castor oil

DG3

I am looking to breaking a four stroke ASP engine and have only got a batch of full synthetic fuel. The manfacturer and some forums recommend using fuel with 2% castor or thereabouts particularly at the early stages of an engines life. Is it ok to just mix in some castor oil with my synthetic? If so, where do I get castor oil? Are there particular grades? Do pharmacies sell it?

Advert

Posted by steve 1 on 04/07/2012 21:17:31:

Hi DG3, i think I'm correct in saying that model technics contest 10 has around 1.5% of castor already in it.

Steve

MT show the oil content in formula Irvine as 18% Klotz, no castor; funny, I was convinced it had castor in it as well, but apparently not.

From the article on MT fuels in last month's RCM&E, it seems MT use first pressing castor oil, presumably it's more pure. Can't see why Castrol R wouldn't work though.

DG3 I would happily use synthetic oils to run in an engine.....I really wouldn't worry about using castor oil even though the JE Engines instructions do say add 2%. Keep it nice & rich for the first couple of tanks & the motor will run in just fine....

If you really must use it then you can buy small bottles of castor oil at the chemist.....

I notice that MT state a total oil content of 18% and just engines saying 14% Klotz and 4% of castor

Here  hope that worked

It's what i use from receiving a new engine and all have worked great for me.

Steve

Edited By steve 1 on 04/07/2012 22:12:02

My advice is to forget about castor oil. I use Prosynth 2000 for everything, including running in. If you want chapter and verse ring Westons and ask to speak to their fuel man, but be prepared to spend at least 10 mins on the phone!

Posted by Ian Jones on 05/07/2012 12:09:58:

Klotz itself contains 1.5% castor - hence the confusion.

Possibly, Ian. But 'Klotz' is a brand name, not a single product.

From what I can see, they sell (amongst a huge range range of oils for other markets) at least 8 different oils for the RC market. See here.

The range contains one oil (BeNOL) that is 100% castor, one (Super Techniplate) that contains 20% castor) and others that are stated to be 100% synthetic.

G'day, DG3, My dad would brush his teeth with castor oil if he could, but todays synthetics are very good for cooling and lubrication, things have moved very quickly with oils( no pun) motor sports being the best example, if using engine without a long layup time some castor will not harm, but leave that engine for sometime and gumming will be a problem and carefull maintenance will be required before starting again. care for that miniature engine and she will look after you.

cheers from bbc.

I believe that at least one of our well known model fuel brands no longer do any castor content fuel, also at least one engine manufacturer advise synthetic oil only. Most of the guys I know stopped using castor content fuel for any purpose. I have used nothing but synthetic for a number of years and have had fewer engine problems. I honestly believe the current running in instructions supplied with a new engine are just "legacy" as changing the print instruction has a low priority as added cost.

It really is the running in procedure that is important, not the type of oil as supplied with our main brands of fuel.

I'm on your team Flytilbroke. the wizard of oz (woo) Brian Winch (oily hand) writes many articles/ reviews on engines for RCM&E and an Aussie rc mag, many years experience and engineer he be, im not saying he gives the best advice but sage it is and his advise has saved plenty of my engines and stopped a few bad habits that i won't admit to. i'm a naughty boy.

cheers bbc

i picked up a 100ml bottle of castor oil bp from the chemist and will probably try mix 2% in with a small amount of rapicon 10% (synthetic) just to 'do the right thing' for the four stroke break in process. I take on board the comments but as a relative newcomer to the hobby there are just so many opinions on forums, from manufacturers and others on what the correct way to break a four stroke in that it is hard sometimes to read between the lines.

Edited By DG3 on 06/07/2012 17:56:35