E-flite Vans RV-9 .

Advert

David some may also think my power set up is a bit lame lol.Its a Turnigy C42-40 900KV turning a Graupner 10 x 8 prop .This produces 260 W with a 1.8 A three cell .

Obviously the motor is doing little work but the power chain runs extremely cool and yet returns a heathy rate of climb and good turn of speed .

I set this power to complement the scale appearance ,the ones I have seen running 700W on a big four cell don't appeal to me much as I prefer the lighter wing loading which gives the model a lovely feel in the air and results in very low landing speeds that suits our short grass strip.

Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 08/07/2012 17:22:40

I have been flying the RV9 on E-Flite's power 450 for a couple of years now. I guess folks that suggest the 450/480 set up is tame don't want a scale like performance. The 450 pulls mine around at a reasonable rate, but the ailerons are small and the roll is very sedate, so it could never be called an aerobatic model, though it loops and does stall turns Ok and flies inverted without any effort.

Thanks Alan .....I had a 13ft span model in the museum which so I am told ended up hanging in a large US airport terminal .

I last flew at your field in the late 70s with Peter Russell ,glad to hear both sites are still active with model flying .

Our flying group field is only minutes from home so we don't get around much these days ,.......back to the RV -9 ...A full size flew in to Old Warden last year during a model meet ,and that got me thinking of getting the model which I have found to be a very practical every day flyer and it stands out well amongst the Wots ,PC9s, Fun Cubs etc .

Tom.

Lovely looking model...

I've got an E-flite Extra 260 480 (See David's Avatar) and it's infinate vertical with the 480 and 3s 2200, so was suprised to hear the Vans is a bit 'sluggish'...

I checked the specs, and the Vans has a WS 10cm greater than the Extra, but the Extra is longer...

The wing loading isn't far off either, BUT the Vans AUW is 300g heavier..!!!

This would explain the 'gentle' behaviour..

I've heard of peeps fitting the Power10 instead of the 480 in the Extra, so that might be worth a shot. Its 30g heavier, but 100w more powerful, AND runs off a 3s, so you won't have a heavy 4s model...

Just a thought..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

A decent model but one of those from E-Flite that came in at more than seems reasaonable. £100 would be about right. Their SU-26M is another that came in at about £135 when most of their balsa models are about £100 or less.

Hi Chrisie

My Vans came out at 2 LBS 120Z the C 42- 40 installed is propped down to give 260 W which is just under 100 W per pound . The recommended 450 specs suggest 20A max which could be considered a bit modest for a model with good aerobatic potential but ideal for showing off the good looks during close circuit work and at a scale speed.

The 450 installation keeps motor and lipo weight to a minimum and the correct cg can be achieved with a 1.3A LIPO ,this in turn reduces the landing loads and leaves room for errors without damaging the u/c attachment points .

Bumping up the power to 260-300 W releases the aerobatic potential but does not increase the weight sufficiently to cause other problems providing the model is landed properly on a reasonable surface .

The flaps are remarkable as virtually no pitching occurs over a wide speed range .The model can side slipped with full flap deployed making accurate positioning on finals very easy indeed.

High G antics can result in roll reversals , I found reducing the elevator up movement all but eliminated this without effecting round out or pitch change requirements for aerobatics.

Tom.

Posted by NigelH on 09/07/2012 13:30:33:

A decent model but one of those from E-Flite that came in at more than seems reasaonable. £100 would be about right. Their SU-26M is another that came in at about £135 when most of their balsa models are about £100 or less.

Nigel I would agree that E-Flight have always been a little topside on price particularly when compared with the popular Seagull and Black Horse models but I think the extra detail and quality found in the canopy / cockpit ,cowling ,and other nice touches are worth a bit extra .

In my case price was not an issue as the model was acquired as crash damaged .

Tom.

Posted by NigelH on 09/07/2012 13:30:33:

I agree. Igot mine in a damaged box sale at about £40 off the going rate. As with all of the E-flite models I have put together, it went together easily and they give you unambiguous instructions that are well illustrated.

Tom / Alan

I may well be Horizon's biggest fan. They make great models and I've owned many of them. Everything in my hangar is from them.

As you say though, you can get very reasonable 46 size and above models for the same price from other vendors.

There is a real E-Flite bargain out there at the moment though. A HH guy said on RCG that it had a poor following (and this has been discounted for, I'd say, at least a year) but it actually flies very nicely and it's a 'proper' model.

Posted by Tom Wright 2 on 09/07/2012 19:51:59:

Nigel

Thanks for the heads up.........I ordered one .

Tom.

Sorry for spending your money Tom embarrassed

It's a nice model. I hiope that you're pleased with it.

I also bought their scale pilots but they're quite dear.

Posted by Alan Randall on 09/07/2012 20:09:35:

I came very close to buying one from Al's at Wings & Wheels. After a lot of heart searching I decided that as I had the Rv9 I would give it a pass.

I also like HH stuff. I am currently putting together the Hanger 9 Corsair 50 with a power 46 motor.

I bought mines from Als.

That looks like a good alternative to the 450 Nigel but as you say only suitable for gentle flying ,unless of course you prop up and thrash it to its limits which is not a good idea .

I prefer to fly such models on the gentle side but the motor I fitted to the RV could turn it into a beast just by increasing the prop size .

Now waiting on the PT 19 delivery .....it will be interesting to see if the impulse buy turns out to be prudent ,as my impulsive button pushing so far this year has resulted in two excellent models at remarkably low prices. If this one turns out well I will consider myself lucky and try to revert to some sensible well considered purchases in future.

Tom.

I don't see why it wouldn't turn out right. As I said, it's a 'proper' model that you can fly almost anywhere.

I meant to mention one issue with mine which isn't unique to me. I couldn't slot the wing into the gap, with it overlapping the former by a couple of mm. I spoke with Al about it and they checked one in the store which had the same issue. He would have taken it back but I chose to lightly sand the rear of the wing and iron on a little of the spare covering that comes with the model. That was the proper decision. I'm no 'proper' modeller but you would have had to look very hard to see what I'd done.

Nigel

My PT 19 arrived today ,top marks to Kings Lynn MS for processing and quick delivery.Even though the kit is heavily discounted the delivery charge was only £5 .74 .thumbs up

A quick look in the box confirmed this is a great looking model with decor set ,hinges ,and horns all ready fitted,even the wheels have the star emblem .Excelent value all round smile. Thanks again for the heads up I did not need another model! but this one is irresistible at such a low price as well.

Tom.