Hitec Eclipse 7 pro

First of all is there anybody on the forum that uses the above radio,my first thought was the spektrum dx6i but i have been steered away from that by the guy who flies at the field i will be going to, he said they have had unexplained crashes on a certain part of the field and they were all useing spektrum.So useing my sum what very limited knowledge i have picked the above tx.As this will be my first tx i would to get some feedback wether it be good or bad.thanks

Advert

Posted by gary watson 1 on 12/07/2012 00:01:08: First of all is there anybody on the forum that uses the above radio,my first thought was the spektrum dx6i but i have been steered away from that by the guy who flies at the field i will be going to, he said they have had unexplained crashes on a certain part of the field and they were all useing spektrum.So useing my sum what very limited knowledge i have picked the above tx.As this will be my first tx i would to get some feedback wether it be good or bad.thanks

Have used the Eclipse 7 for many years, this lates revision has many great features not the least being the on screen telemetry available, see video link under

. Hitec Eclipse 7 & Eclipse 7 Pro - All Manuals, Addenda, Quick Setup, CCPM and Additional Programming FAQ

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links quick search = Ctrl+F)

Edited By A.T. on 13/07/2012 22:38:55

Hi Gary.

I have used the Eclipse 7 QPCM for a good many years and converted it to 2.4Ghz about a year ago. It's been rock solid, so a few months a go I bought the Eclipse 7 Pro. I like it a lot but I have a few reservations about the manual and the software updating. I think it will all come good in the end.

I expect to supply more details on my findings this week.

Posted by Ian Jones on 15/07/2012 23:25:36:

Hi Gary.I have used the Eclipse 7 QPCM for a good many years and converted it to 2.4Ghz about a year ago. It's been rock solid, so a few months a go I bought the Eclipse 7 Pro. I like it a lot but I have a few reservations about the manual and the software updating. I think it will all come good in the end. I expect to supply more details on my findings this week.

Eclipse 7 Pro firmware will be updated in the same manner as the other Hitec 2.4GHz Tx, via an HPP-22 interface. (HPP-22 is also used with Transceivers and the Telemetry systems).

Unfortunately, the update to the HPP-22 firmware to include the E7 Pro under the "Transmitter list" has been a little delayed from end last month, but is expected any time soon, refer link to FAQ provided two days ago and:

Hitec HPP-22 2.4GHz Programmer - Manual, FAQ - How to Install & Use (with screenshots).

Alan T.

• 3 weeks later...

Other question which some might find stupid but please bare with me,on opening the box that the tx came in i found a square piece of black foam whats that for? When putting the rx into the plane do you keep the angle of the antenna to the rx at 90 degrees ?In the plane how do i fit eight and a half inch antenna in the small place provided? I was thinking about threading the antenna wire into a large straw and running it down the fuselage in between the pushrod wires,will it work?

Hi Gary, let's see...

i found a square piece of black foam whats that for?

That sounds like the foam for wrapping around the receiver

When putting the rx into the plane do you keep the angle of the antenna to the rx at 90 degrees

On the optima receivers there is one BODA antenna which works very well. All you have to do is place the antenna in a position more than 1" away from any metal/carbon and not shielded by any metal/carbon. The part of the antenna that needs to be straight is just the last bare looking section at the end though in practice the solid round part between the bare end and the connecting wire will normally be in the same line. The connecting wire does not need to be straight. A picture will probably help:

bodaprotect.jpg

I like to protect the antenna in a length of snake outer or similar material.

In the plane how do i fit eight and a half inch antenna in the small place provided? I was thinking about threading the antenna wire into a large straw and running it down the fuselage in between the pushrod wires,will it work?

Most of this has already been answered but so far as between the pushrod wires goes that does not sound like a good idea. In a straw on the fuselage floor well away from the pushrod wires could be alright but I wouldn't do it because it would tend to be the same line as the pushrods and therefore they could in some attitides shield the antenna.

One other thing. Are planning on using the receiver battery box that came with the transmitter?

Hope that answers your questions - if I can help further then just ask.

Edited By Ian Jones on 07/08/2012 21:19:18

Edited By Ian Jones on 07/08/2012 21:32:50

Posted by gary watson 1 on 08/08/2012 10:32:58:

Thanks Ian that has cleared a lot of things up for me,when you say battery box do you mean the thing that hold 4 x AA if it is no i wont be usng it as i am flying electric.

Glad to have helped and that you will not be using that battery box.

Hi Gary, just to put in my 2 pence worth. I moved up from the DX6i a few months ago now to the Eclipse 7 Pro. Not that the DX6i wasn't any good but because it didn't have the mixing capacity I required for flying 4 servo wing gliders.

I found the manual very good, but then I wasn't reading it from a "novices" point of view, so for instance I knew that in order to bind the RX to the TX I would have to connect a battery flight pack to it.

I had never programmed a TX for all the various mixes required for best perfomance on a mouldie glider, e.g. CROW, aileron > flaps, elevator > flaps, aileron > rudder, flaps > elevator etc etc. I found the manual gave excellent and detailed instructions on how to achieve each of these and even gave the reasons why we add these mixes.

All in all I think it is a fabulous piece of kit. It feels good in the hands, the gimbals are super smooth, and it balances nicely on a neck strap. So much better than the DX6i and I would recommend this TX to anyone needing 7 ch and multi mixing capabilities.

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

Steve the trouble is that the people at Hitec think that anybody that buys their product has a basic knowledge of flying, well i am sure i am not only speaking for myself when i say there are a lot of people out there like myself who have never flown before, so it would be nice if they took that into consideration when putting the manuals together.For people who have flown and have a basic knowledge of tx and rx they dont have to be told that you have to have power to the rx before you can bind, but as a complete beginner this is the type of thing that you need to know.

Gary

• 3 months later...

If you read my review in November's RCM&E you will know that I criticised Hitec for being slow in implementing the connectivity to a PC via it's HPP-22 programmer.

Well here's some good news, now you can. Go to **LINK** and download the latest HPP-22 software.

Why bother? Well you can save and reload your model memories for one thing. For another there's a frimware upgrade for the E7Pro that amongst other things allows the GPOS display to be set to height relative to the ground - another one of moans eliminated!

There's a few little "features" that need a mention which I'm currently looking into... watch this space.

Posted by Ian Jones on 08/08/2012 11:33:26:
Posted by gary watson 1 on 08/08/2012 10:32:58:

Thanks Ian that has cleared a lot of things up for me,when you say battery box do you mean the thing that hold 4 x AA if it is no i wont be usng it as i am flying electric.

Glad to have helped and that you will not be using that battery box.

hello ...the little box that holds 4*AA's....is only for using when you setting up the bind's for the rx's.....thats what i've read anyway...

ken anderson ..ne...1 ... read dept...

hello ian...i read it on one of the many American sites...(may have been the u-tube)hitec site where one of the hitec people were demonstrating the bind process..which one i cant remember..... as you know i have the A9.....and in my quest for knowledge-i was looking on some forums dedicated to the hitec stuff....... originally i thought prob the same as others that it was for to be used as a RX battery holder..and thought it was a bit of a backward step......

ken anderson ne..1 backward step dept....

Always use the 4 cell battery holder and 4 new alkaline cells or a fully charged 4<5cell NiMH/NiCD pack or 2S lipo when setting up the ID-Link between any Hitec AFHSS Tx & Rx to ensure an accurate full range link - never rely on an ESC/BEC, beside most harness in use are to difficult to connect when trying to also hold in the button.

. Hitec AFHSS ID-Setup (Bind) Spectra Module V3.01(0), Optima Transceiver 6, 7 & 9ch V2.02(0) & Minima Receivers - quick reference for use with all latest firmware.

. AFHSS - ID_Setup (also known as Binding or Linking) & Range Test Procedure for
........Aurora 9, Spectra 2.4Ghz Module <> Optima Transceiver or Minima Receiver. [ Full reference]

. Hitec Eclipse 7 & Eclipse 7 Pro - All Manuals, Addenda, Quick Setup, CCPM and Additional Programming FAQ

. AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry

- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links quick search = Ctrl+F)

Edited By A.T. on 09/11/2012 18:40:18